Fermi distribution of 3s electrons of sodium

In summary, the question asks for the fraction of 3s-electrons of sodium within an energy range of k_b*T below the Fermi level. By using the Fermi-Dirac distribution equation and solving for this energy range, the answer is approximately 0.73. However, the book states the answer is 0.88, which can be obtained by considering the average number of electrons with an energy of E_F-2kT. The question is vague and may have other interpretations or approaches to finding the desired answer.
N8

Homework Statement

What fraction of the 3s-electrons of sodium is found within an energy k_b*T below the Fermi level? (Take room temperature at T= 300k) Fermi level for Na is 3.2 eV

Homework Equations

F(E) = 1 / {exp((E-E_f)/k_b*T) + 1}

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I can tell, do not need to know room temp, or even sodium's fermi level. Simply do (E=Ef-k_b*T) solve through and obtain 1/((e^-1)+1) which ends up being approximately 0.73.

However, book states the answer is 0.88. Why is this? I do not understand where I am going wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is very vaguely worded. I thought at first it meant to integrate the Fermi-Dirac distribution between 3.2-0.025 eV and 3.2+0.025 eV (fraction of electrons within ##kT## of the Fermi energy), but the answer is much too small. I happened to stumble on the fact that
$$\frac{1}{e^{-2}+1}=0.88$$
In other words, the answer they’re asking for is the average number of electrons with an energy of ##E_F-2kT##. I’m not sure if there’s another way to get at the desired answer, or another way to interpret the question. I admit, I’m very confused by it.

Likes Delta2

What is the Fermi distribution of 3s electrons of sodium?

The Fermi distribution of 3s electrons of sodium refers to the probability distribution of electrons in the 3s orbital of a sodium atom at a given temperature. It describes the likelihood of finding an electron in a particular energy level within the 3s orbital.

How does the Fermi distribution of 3s electrons of sodium relate to the electronic configuration of sodium?

The electronic configuration of an atom determines the arrangement of electrons in its orbitals. In the case of sodium, the Fermi distribution of 3s electrons is determined by the number of electrons in the 3s orbital, which is 1. This is because the 3s orbital can hold a maximum of 2 electrons, and sodium has only 1 electron in this orbital.

What is the significance of the Fermi distribution of 3s electrons of sodium?

The Fermi distribution of 3s electrons of sodium is important in understanding the behavior of electrons in an atom at different temperatures. It helps in predicting the energy levels of electrons and their probability of occupation in the 3s orbital, which is important in various fields of physics and chemistry.

How does temperature affect the Fermi distribution of 3s electrons of sodium?

The Fermi distribution of 3s electrons of sodium is affected by temperature in that as the temperature increases, the distribution of electrons shifts towards higher energy levels. This means that at higher temperatures, there is a higher probability of finding electrons in higher energy levels within the 3s orbital.

Can the Fermi distribution of 3s electrons of sodium be applied to other elements?

Yes, the Fermi distribution can be applied to all elements, as it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of electrons in an atom. However, the specific distribution of electrons in different orbitals may vary depending on the electronic configuration of each element.