Net Force of Point Charges, Coulomb's law

In summary, the conversation discusses the net force exerted on a point charge located at the origin by two surrounding charges. The calculations involve using Coulomb's law to find the force between the charges, and determining the direction of the force using trigonometry. The net vertical force is found to be -0.3415N, and this value is used to calculate the acceleration of the point charge if it were free to move.
kgigs6

Homework Statement

The drawing shows three point charges fixed in place. The charge at the coordinate origin has a value of q1 = +8.02 C; the other two have identical magnitudes, but opposite signs: q2 = -4.73 C and q3 = +4.73 C. (a) Determine the net force exerted on q1 by the other two charges. (b) If q1 had a mass of 1.50 g and it were free to move, what would be its acceleration?

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1507/art/qb/qu/c18/ch18p_17.gif

Homework Equations

F= kq1q2/r^2
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

F = k(8.02E-6C)(4.73E-6C)/(1.3^2)
F= 0.20179N

The horizontal componenets of the Force vectors cancel out and the vertical components are both pointing straight up. I think I want to find the net vertical force so I did:

sin23 = x/0.2017
x = -0.1707N <--I thought this was the Force on q1 from one of the charges so in order to get the net force I doubled it = -0.3415N

This answer didn't look right and it wasn't but I'm really confused how to get the net force.
For part b I'm pretty sure I understand how to figure it out I just need the answer from part a to solve it.
F = ma --> a=F/m
m=1.5g -->0.0015kg

a= (?F?)/0.0015kg

Physics news on Phys.org
"sin23 = x/0.2017
x = -0.1707N"

If you are using a calculatro, check the settings, I get something different from this one. Also pay attention to the sign, now it's contradicting with the picture.

kgigs6 said:
The horizontal componenets of the Force vectors cancel out and the vertical components are both pointing straight up.
Rethink the direction of the vertical components.

I think I want to find the net vertical force so I did:

sin23 = x/0.2017
x = -0.1707N
The angle is 23 degrees, not radians. (You have your calculator set to radian mode.)

Thanks! I got it right, and because I changed my calculator back to degrees I also was able to figure out why another problem wasn't working - Thanks for your help!

What is the Net Force of Point Charges?

The net force of point charges is the overall force exerted on a point charge by multiple other point charges. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each individual force.

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How is the Net Force of Point Charges calculated?

The Net Force of Point Charges can be calculated by using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force (F) is equal to the product of the charges (q1 and q2) divided by the square of the distance (r) between them, multiplied by a constant (k). This can be represented by the equation F = k * (q1 * q2) / r^2.

What is the unit of measurement for the Net Force of Point Charges?

The unit of measurement for the Net Force of Point Charges is Newtons (N), which is the standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

How does the distance between point charges affect the Net Force?

The distance between point charges has an inverse relationship with the Net Force. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases and vice versa. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges, as stated in Coulomb's Law.