How do I find the height of the image?

In summary, using the given values of an object height of 1.80 cm and a radius of curvature of 12.2 cm for a concave mirror, the image distance was calculated to be 8.836 cm. However, the image height was not correctly calculated as 7.036 cm using the ratio of image height to object height and the magnification formula.
phys62

Homework Statement

A 1.80-cm-high object is situated 19.7 cm in front of a concave mirror that has a radius of curvature of 12.2 cm. Calculate (a) the location and (b) the height of the image.

Homework Equations

f=1/2R
1/image distance + 1/object distance = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

f=1/2(12.2) = 11.1
1/image distance + 1/19.7 = 1/6.1
image distance = 8.836 cm

then I thought to find the image height I'd just take 8.836 cm - 1.8 cm = 7.036 cm but this is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
The ratio of image height to object height = the magnification will equal the ratio of distance from image over distance of the object to the mirror or lens.

To accurately find the height of the image, we need to use the magnification formula: m = -di/do = hi/ho, where m is the magnification, di is the image distance, do is the object distance, hi is the image height, and ho is the object height.

Firstly, we can calculate the image distance (di) using the mirror equation: 1/di + 1/19.7 = 1/11.1. This gives us a di value of 6.68 cm.

Next, we can use the magnification formula to find the image height (hi): m = -6.68/19.7 = hi/1.80. Solving for hi, we get a value of -0.61 cm.

Since the image is virtual (formed behind the mirror), the negative sign indicates that the image is upright, and the magnitude (0.61 cm) represents the height of the image.

Therefore, the height of the image is 0.61 cm.

1. How do I measure the height of an image?

To measure the height of an image, you can use a ruler or measuring tape to physically measure the vertical distance of the image. Alternatively, you can use image editing software or a photo viewer to view the dimensions of the image in pixels.

2. Can I use a formula to calculate the height of an image?

Yes, you can use the formula: height = (vertical distance ÷ distance from viewer) x actual height of object. This formula is often used in photography to calculate the height of an object in an image.

3. How do I use a reference object to find the height of an image?

First, choose a reference object of known height and place it next to the image. Then, measure the height of the reference object and use the formula mentioned in question 2 to calculate the height of the image.

4. Is there a specific unit of measurement for image height?

The unit of measurement for image height can vary depending on the method used. If using a ruler or measuring tape, the height can be measured in inches, centimeters, or any other unit of length. If using image editing software, the height will be displayed in pixels.

5. How accurate are the methods for finding the height of an image?

The accuracy of the methods for finding the height of an image will depend on the precision of the measurement tools used and the accuracy of the reference object chosen. Using image editing software may provide a more precise measurement compared to physical measurements.