Swine Flu: Potential Threat to Human Species?

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
In summary, the new Swine Flu strain is resistant to some antiviral drugs, has killed a large number of people in Mexico, and could potentially threaten the safety of the entire human species. If the worst case scenario with this virus were to occur, hundreds of thousands, millions, or even billions of people could die. There is a 50% chance that someone will catch this virus if they are exposed, but it is not as deadly as other strains of flu. If you are concerned about your safety, it is advised that you maintain the same safety precautions during the migrant worker season as you do during the regular flu season.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8025931.stm" [Broken]

The UN's World Health Organization has raised the alert over the spread of swine flu to level five - one short of a full-blown pandemic.

A phase five alert means human-to-human transmission in at least two countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Iron_Brute said:
I'm kind of paranoid right now as I usually eat a slice of ham or bacon at least twice a week for breakfast.

Eat your pork and do not be afraid! ...this is not a food-borne pathogen.

1,000,000 people die from malaria every year. Why isn't the media covering malaria outbreaks?

Pittsburgh-Area Researcher Tracking Swine Flu Online (http://www.wpxi.com/health/19315326/detail.html [Broken]):

"Niman is the researcher responsible for a computer-generated map that shows how and where the swine flu is spreading worldwide. He spent his career studying the evolution of viruses.

The map shows instances of suspected and confirmed cases, and its up-to-the-minute tracking of the virus has the government interested in the information it can provide."

Link to map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...39375,-110.390625&spn=15.738151,25.488281&z=5

"Reflecting heightened concerns that international outbreaks of the swine flu could accelerate, the World Health Organization has increased its global alert status, and some governments are discouraging travel to affected areas. But Dr. Keiji Fukuda, the WHO's assistant director-general, said on Monday that there is little point in imposing travel bans "predominantly because this virus has already spread quite far and at this time, containment is not a feasible operation.""

http://www.voanews.com/english/Science/2009-04-29-voa55.cfm [Broken]

mcknia07 said:
I know they are saying that there is only one med that is really helping the "cure" of the swine flu. They have been telling the pharmacies not to hord all the meds, but buy only when it is needed. Is there a home remedy yet, that they know of??
There are two medicines that have been suggested as effective for this strain, but my crummy connection will take me too long to look them up.

McKnia, there is no such thing as a "home remedy" for the flu, never has been. What you are thinking of is something that will help relieve minor symptoms such as a cough and fever, or a runny nose.

Last edited:
gravenewworld said:
1,000,000 people die from malaria every year. Why isn't the media covering malaria outbreaks?

You tell me.

gravenewworld said:
Because people at trendy resort hotels in Cancun aren't likely to get it. Who cares what horribly impoverished people in third world countries die from? Yes, this media hype disgusts me.

Evo said:
Because people at trendy resort hotels in Cancun aren't likely to get it. Who cares what horribly impoverished people in third world countries die from? Yes, this media hype disgusts me.

Malaria is not news. It is not a changing dynamic, so it isn't news worthy. As such, it isn't a commonly salable product--it could harm their Nielsen ratings. Every once and a while some reporter will manage to make news from no news, or introduce a 'special interest story' but it's not the norm. Next time you watch the news, watch for these. As for the rest of the media, who knowns how much is diseminated on this matter? The mass media is too large.

Phrak said:
You tell me.

Because it happens everyday?

Over 3 billion people are in danger of being infected with malaria. Ya don't hear it about it 24/7.

Just heard these today. Had to share.

I survived ...
... the snoutbreak.
... the epigdemic.
... farmageddon.

Phrak said:
Malaria is not news. It is not a changing dynamic, so it isn't news worthy. As such, it isn't a commonly salable product--it could harm their Nielsen ratings. Every once and a while some reporter will manage to make news from no news, or introduce a 'special interest story' but it's not the norm. Next time you watch the news, watch for these. As for the rest of the media, who knowns how much is diseminated on this matter? The mass media is too large.
That's reasonable, but I'm also disgusted by public and government reactions to these issues. Ie, is it really worth the WHO's time to put effort into swine flu when there are much, much bigger problems out there - especially problems with spectacularly easy solutions?

russ_watters said:
That's reasonable, but I'm also disgusted by public and government reactions to these issues. Ie, is it really worth the WHO's time to put effort into swine flu when there are much, much bigger problems out there - especially problems with spectacularly easy solutions?

Yes. Swine flu is more likely to get funding for the WHO than malaria, so they focus on it.

CRGreathouse said:
Yes. Swine flu is more likely to get funding for the WHO than malaria, so they focus on it.

Who pays the WHO to do what they are paid to do?

Evo said:
There are two medicines that have been suggested as effective for this strain, but my crummy connection will take me too long to look them up.

I believe that you are referring to Tamiflu and Relenza.

Phrak said:
Who pays the WHO to do what they are paid to do?
According to their wiki, it is funded through normal UN operations and voluntary contributions from countries and the public and at the moment the voluntary contributions exceed the set budget.

I'm still not in favor of an international organization with a well-established responsibility following fads for funding. Perhaps they are just doing the best they can with what they have to work with, but this is yet another symptom of people not handling problems correctly. It's a common theme of mine on this forum - people generally agree about what the right thing to do is if they step back and look at it objectively, but in the real world, it doesn't happen that way.

Besides which, if they lost half their funding because they weren't chasing news fads, I bet they'd still save more lives by focusing their smaller resources on the low hanging fruit like malaria. Malaria is easy. It is pathetic that in 2009, a million people die of it a year. [/soapbox]

buffordboy23 said:
I believe that you are referring to Tamiflu and Relenza.

Yes, those are both effective. But DO NOT take them unless you have the [swine] flu! They are not vaccines, and in fact taking them will lessen or remove their effectiveness if you contract it.

CRGreathouse said:
Yes, those are both effective. But DO NOT take them unless you have the [swine] flu! They are not vaccines, and in fact taking them will lessen or remove their effectiveness if you contract it.

I remember back a few years ago when reading a scientific article (of course, I no longer have the source) about strategic plans should the avian flu become a pandemic. One of the main points was that by using Tamiflu as a prophylactic in hard-hit areas (along with other measures), the disease will spread less severely. One subsequent problem is then supply versus demand. Here is link that supports the prophylactic use of Tamiflu: http://www.pandemictoolkit.com/about-tamiflu/about-roletamifluplay.aspx.

I agree that taking it as a prophylactic for long durations (because if the swine flu becomes a pandemic it is likely to persist for months) will decrease it's overall effectiveness later.

Evo said:
Because people at trendy resort hotels in Cancun aren't likely to get it.

We had several confirmed cases here in Michigan, one was a 18 yr old high school student who had taken a trip to Cancun, returned 10 days ago..

gravenewworld said:
Probably because malaria is not a threat in the US or other industrialized nations. It is primarily a problem in sub-Saharan Africa and Brazil, mainly in a band 15N - 20S latitude.

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/facts.htm [Broken]
Each year 350–500 million cases of malaria occur worldwide, and over one million people die, most of them young children in sub-Saharan Africa.

but

1,337 cases of malaria, including 8 deaths, were reported for 2002 in the United States, even though malaria has been eradicated in this country since the early 1950's

Of the 1,337 malaria cases reported for 2002 in the United States, all but five were imported, i.e., acquired in malaria-endemic countries.

Between 1957 and 2003, in the United States, 63 outbreaks of locally transmitted mosquito-borne malaria have occurred; in such outbreaks, local mosquitoes become infected by biting persons carrying malaria parasites (acquired in endemic areas) and then transmit malaria to local residents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaria

As for the latest variant of swine flu (perhaps now called Mexican swine flu)
The earliest confirmed case of the illness was in the town of La Gloria, Veracruz, Mexico, with 5 year old Édgar Enrique Hernández, considered to possibly be patient zero.
Earliest case of swine flu tucked away in Mexico, officials say
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28/swine.flu/index.html

Mexico outbreak traced to 'manure lagoons' at pig farm
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6182789.ece

Since Veracruz is somewhat distant from places like Acapulco and Cancun, tourists in those areas are less likely to contract the flu, particularly if there are direct flights from Acapulco or Cancun to US airports. On the other hand, traveling through Mexico may increase risk of exposure.

http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1241056994692.shtm

"We're also actively monitoring travelers at our land, sea, and air ports. We're watching them for signs of illness, and we have appropriate protocols in place to deal with those who are sick. Anyone exhibiting symptoms is being referred to an isolation room where they can be evaluated by a public health official before proceeding to their destruction."

I'm a little worried - I have hay-fever and I have to visit Houston next week!

Phrak said:

Not true at all, traditional quinolines that were once effective are now ineffective against growing pockets of quinoline resistant malaria sprining up in Asia. Considering the fact that malaria infects 300 million people world wide every year, resistance is growing, and also the fact that spending on R&D for malaria pharmaceuticals is very low, we should all be much more worried about malaria right now.

mgb_phys said:
"We're also actively monitoring travelers at our land, sea, and air ports. We're watching them for signs of illness, and we have appropriate protocols in place to deal with those who are sick. Anyone exhibiting symptoms is being referred to an isolation room where they can be evaluated by a public health official before proceeding to their destruction."
OK, now that's a bit draconian...

They meant destination right?

jreelawg said:
They meant destination right?
You would hope so - but this is the DHS!

How long will it take somebody to notice and update the website?

The_Absolute said:
how many people would approximately die from this? Hundreds of thousands? Millions? Hundreds of Millions? Billions perhaps? What is the kill rate of this virus? Could it threaten the safety of the entire human species? Will I be safe if I stay in my house and stockpile extremely large quantities of food and water?
No the swine flu does not look like a threat at the moment and the swine flu might kill thousands of people before it dies down.
The world has enough drugs to cure more than half the worlds population of this threat so there is not really anything to worry about as far as you are cautious of the people around you when you are in a public place.

mgb_phys said:
You would hope so - but this is the DHS!

How long will it take somebody to notice and update the website?

:rofl:

They changed it...wow, someone at Homeland Security has a really warped sense of humor - that was hilarious!

Swine flu will probably decline a bit as summer arrives. It will only cause mild problems just like the 1918 Spanish flu did during the summer. Then, in the fall, just like in 1918, the flu will return and cause big problems.

Flu is contageous before it causes illness. So, if you are infected and you will become ill in a few days from now, you can already spread the disease to others. But this happens more easily in the winter because then you tend to sneeze and cough more if you are not ill. You can have a cold or you can simpy cough/sneeze due to exess mucus in your nose due to simply a reaction to cold weather.

So, when cold weather arrives, you can expect an explosion in the number of flu cases.

jreelawg said:
Can anyone explain the mechanism of how 4 viruses come together into one? Is it rare for this happen?

Second, we seem to have been anticipating or at least concerned about a possible devastating avian flu outbreak. What is the basis for this concern? What in recent times happened to make the risk of mutated flu greater?

Third, does anyone know why common forms of the flu happen every year, but deadly forms like the 1918 form die out? Is this new virus going to come and go quickly, or will it be something new that people get every year?

Fourth, why is this virus rampant when it isn't flu season? If this were to happen in the winter would it be much worse? And are we now going to have to worry about the flu year round?

4 viruses? Are you referring to the H1N1 and H5N1 influenza virus? If so it is just 2 strains of virus from the Orthomyxoviridae family. The influenza viruses are divided into 3 groups A, B and C. Usually only influenza A is of concern since it is the one that causes pandemics.

The H in H1N1 refers to haemagglutinin, there are 14 of them (H1-14) and N refers to neuraminidase, there are 9 of them (N1-9). The action of neuraminidase allows virius to elute from red blood cells while the action of haemagglutinin allow the virus to attach itself to the host cell.

Every now and then the avian influenza virus and the human influenza virus come together in a single host and usually it is the pig because their tracheal have sialic acid (SA) receptor alpha 2,3 (for avian influenza virus) and alpha 2,6 (for human influenza virus) in 1:1 ratio so it makes them a very good mixing pot for the virus. When that happens we get what is called an antigenic shift in which RNA segments are swapped in cells infected with 2 different viruses, the virus change to a new subtype (eg H1N1 to H1N2). Antibodies that recognize the old subtype will not recognize the new subtype hence the immune system cannot react to the virus and a major epidemic/pandemic is born...

A quote from the April 29, 2009 statement by WHO Director-General, Dr Margaret Chan on swine influenza.

Based on assessment of all available information, and following several expert consultations, I have decided to raise the current level of influenza pandemic alert from phase 4 to phase 5.

Influenza pandemics must be taken seriously precisely because of their capacity to spread rapidly to every country in the world. On the positive side, the world is better prepared for an influenza pandemic than at any time in history.

Preparedness measures undertaken because of the threat from H5N1 avian influenza were an investment, and we are now benefitting from this investment.

For the first time in history, we can track the evolution of a pandemic in real-time.

I thank countries who are making the results of their investigations publicly available. This helps us understand the disease.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/statements/2009/h1n1_20090429/en/index.html

A quote from April 29, 2009 transcript of Virtual Press conference with Dr Keiji Fukuda, Assistant Director-General ad. Interim for Health Security and Environment World Health Organization. Please be sure to read the entire document.

It would be very interesting to be able to trace back and find out where the origin of this virus came from. This is one of the things that everyone is always interested about with a new disease. But I would say that at this point we have higher priorities. The most important priority in terms of investigations is to document what is going on now, how is the picture evolving: are we seeing infections in severe cases that are not being detected, are we seeing infection established itself in areas in which it has not yet been documented… this are the kind of investigations that are really critical right now to answer the most urgent issues of how is this evolving, where is it going, what is the impact on people, what steps might be taken to protect people. Nonetheless, I believe that at some point we should come back and try to understand what are the origins of this virus, both in terms of how it moved from pigs to people, where that might have happened. Very interesting questions but maybe not the highest priorities right now.
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/swineflu_presstranscript_2009_04_29.pdf

Last edited:
Ukitake Jyuushirou said:
4 viruses? Are you referring to the H1N1 and H5N1 influenza virus? If so it is just 2 strains of virus from the Orthomyxoviridae family. The influenza viruses are divided into 3 groups A, B and C. Usually only influenza A is of concern since it is the one that causes pandemics.

The H in H1N1 refers to haemagglutinin, there are 14 of them (H1-14) and N refers to neuraminidase, there are 9 of them (N1-9). The action of neuraminidase allows virius to elute from red blood cells while the action of haemagglutinin allow the virus to attach itself to the host cell.

Every now and then the avian influenza virus and the human influenza virus come together in a single host and usually it is the pig because their tracheal have sialic acid (SA) receptor alpha 2,3 (for avian influenza virus) and alpha 2,6 (for human influenza virus) in 1:1 ratio so it makes them a very good mixing pot for the virus. When that happens we get what is called an antigenic shift in which RNA segments are swapped in cells infected with 2 different viruses, the virus change to a new subtype (eg H1N1 to H1N2). Antibodies that recognize the old subtype will not recognize the new subtype hence the immune system cannot react to the virus and a major epidemic/pandemic is born...

"Genetics and effects

Negative stain electronic microscope image of a reassorted A(H1N1) flu virus
The CDC has confirmed that U.S. cases were found to be made up of genetic elements from four different flu viruses – North American swine influenza, North American avian influenza, human influenza, and swine influenza virus typically found in Asia and Europe – "an unusually mongrelised mix of genetic sequences."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_swine_flu_outbreak#Genetics_and_effects

From January 1997 until being sworn in as the 21st Secretary of Defense in January 2001, Rumsfeld served as Chairman of Gilead Sciences, Inc. Gilead Sciences is the developer of Tamiflu (Oseltamivir), which is used in the treatment of bird flu.[27]As a result, Rumsfeld's holdings in the company grew significantly when avian flu became a subject of popular anxiety during his later term as Secretary of Defense. Following standard practice, Rumsfeld recused himself from any decisions involving Gilead, and he directed the Pentagon's General Counsel issue instructions outlining what he could and could not be involved in if there were an avian flu pandemic and the Pentagon had to respond.[28][29][30]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Rumsfeld

A lot of people are making money off of a good scare.

Last edited:
World Health Organization lastest update (#6) on Influenza A(H1N1)

30 April 2009 -- The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 17:00 GMT, 30 April 2009, 11 countries have officially reported 257 cases of influenza A (H1N1) infection.

The United States Government has reported 109 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death. Mexico has reported 97 confirmed human cases of infection, including seven deaths.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (19), Germany (3), Israel (2), Netherlands (1), New Zealand (3), Spain (13), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (8).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis.

WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.

There is also no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products. Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.
http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_30_a/en/index.html

Look at WHO's website for latest updates:
http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/en/index.html

Apparently the number of cases has gone down according to authorities.

Mexican Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova told The Associated Press new cases have leveled off and the death rate has been nearly flat for several days.

The health ministry, which earlier said 168 people were believed killed by swine flu in Mexico, on Thursday would only confirm 12 of those deaths
So they've basically reported deaths from the flu that might not actually be related.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090430/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu [Broken]

Is this going to turn out to be one huge false alarm?

About how many casualties are expected from the worst case scenario of this disease?

<h2>1. What is swine flu and how is it different from other types of flu?</h2><p>Swine flu, also known as H1N1 influenza, is a respiratory illness caused by a strain of the influenza virus that commonly infects pigs. It is different from other types of flu because it is a combination of genetic material from pig, bird, and human flu viruses, making it a new and potentially more dangerous virus for humans.</p><h2>2. How is swine flu transmitted?</h2><p>Swine flu is primarily transmitted through respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes. It can also be spread by touching a surface or object contaminated with the virus and then touching one's mouth, nose, or eyes.</p><h2>3. What are the symptoms of swine flu?</h2><p>The symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of regular seasonal flu, including fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, fatigue, and sometimes vomiting and diarrhea. In severe cases, it can lead to pneumonia, respiratory failure, and even death.</p><h2>4. How can I protect myself from swine flu?</h2><p>The best way to protect yourself from swine flu is to practice good hygiene, such as washing your hands frequently with soap and water, covering your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, and avoiding close contact with sick individuals. It is also recommended to get a flu vaccine, as the seasonal flu vaccine can also provide some protection against swine flu.</p><h2>5. Is swine flu a potential threat to the human species?</h2><p>While swine flu has the potential to cause serious illness and even death, it is not currently considered a threat to the human species. The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the swine flu pandemic to be over, and the virus is now considered a regular seasonal flu virus. However, it is important to continue monitoring and researching the virus to prevent future outbreaks and protect public health.</p>

1. What is swine flu and how is it different from other types of flu?

Swine flu, also known as H1N1 influenza, is a respiratory illness caused by a strain of the influenza virus that commonly infects pigs. It is different from other types of flu because it is a combination of genetic material from pig, bird, and human flu viruses, making it a new and potentially more dangerous virus for humans.

2. How is swine flu transmitted?

Swine flu is primarily transmitted through respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes. It can also be spread by touching a surface or object contaminated with the virus and then touching one's mouth, nose, or eyes.

3. What are the symptoms of swine flu?

The symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of regular seasonal flu, including fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, fatigue, and sometimes vomiting and diarrhea. In severe cases, it can lead to pneumonia, respiratory failure, and even death.

4. How can I protect myself from swine flu?

The best way to protect yourself from swine flu is to practice good hygiene, such as washing your hands frequently with soap and water, covering your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, and avoiding close contact with sick individuals. It is also recommended to get a flu vaccine, as the seasonal flu vaccine can also provide some protection against swine flu.

5. Is swine flu a potential threat to the human species?

While swine flu has the potential to cause serious illness and even death, it is not currently considered a threat to the human species. The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the swine flu pandemic to be over, and the virus is now considered a regular seasonal flu virus. However, it is important to continue monitoring and researching the virus to prevent future outbreaks and protect public health.