Calculating Photomultiplier Tube Saturation Limit: A Guide

• Thread starter watertreader
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tube
In summary: The saturation limit for a photomultiplier tube is the maximum current that can be delivered to the PMT without damaging it. This is usually provided by the manufacturer, and I am not aware of any other way to measure it. I have measured a peak pulse of more than 1 volt across 50 ohms (20 ma) out of a RCA 6810, but the average output should be less than 1 ma. As for the cathode, you probably should not expose it to sunlight with no voltage on it, and never when any voltage is on it.
watertreader
Hi,

Have some query on the photomultiplier tube saturation limit(the maximum light luminosity or intensity that can be delivered to the PMT without damaging the equipment). How do we calculate it?

I have looked through the specification. The only relevant specification for the saturation problem is the maximum current produced per luminosity. Is there some other gauge we should take to measure the maximum allowable amount of input light? What's the common rating?

Wouldn't want to spoil another PMT again

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think you are able to easily calculate the damage threshold of a PMT. This type of information is usually provided by the manufacturer, and as far as I know it takes a considerable amount of light flux (relatively speaking) to damage a PMT. PMTs are used for very sensitive and low intensity applications. If you are damaging PMTs with to high of a light intensity then you should look at photodiodes or phototransistors as a possible substitute.

I have measured a peak pulse of more than 1 volt across 50 ohms (20 ma) out of a RCA 6810, but the average output should be less than 1 ma. Are you using a dynode or anode output? As for the cathode, you probably should not expose it to sunlight with no voltage on it, and never when any voltage is on it. What tube are you using, and what gain? How did you spoil the first one?

I am using the anode output, using a Hamamatsu R928... It is sited inside a circuit box that I have fabricated(with all the accessories electrical circuits for DC Measurement and an input fiber SMA fiber port)...using a gain at around 400-500V

Guess I have pumped in round 300-500uW of laser power through the fiber onto the cathode detector area(tat's why I like to know the damage threshold)... Another fatal mistake is that I have not switched off the room's light...
(Slipped my mind to off the light)

THe PMT was working for some time... but the next time round I have used them... I can't detect any DC signal anymore...

Guess I should try to be careful the next time round...

Just curious. Have you ever measured the temperature inside your "circuit box"?
The tubes Operating Ambient Temperature is -30 to +50 °C. Usually devices, that are operating at a temperature above their rated value, will age much quicker. Don't know if this is a problem with your tube.

No, I didn't. Have another one PMT(other model) in an even smaller box... seem to be working well for me...

BTW, out of interest... to monitor temperature in a box... what circuit did you used? A thermostat?

I would use a thermocouple with an associated meter. Or maybe just a glass thermometer.

Hi

I am also using Hamamatsu R928 and also exposed it accidentally to fluorescent light, with about a KV on it. After one night without voltage it resumed its capabilities.

Does someone know this device intensity limitation? Do you know at which range its response is linear with intensity?

Thanks

Last edited:

What is a photomultiplier tube?

A photomultiplier tube (PMT) is a type of vacuum tube that is used to convert light into an electrical signal. It consists of a photocathode, a series of dynodes, and an anode. When light particles, or photons, strike the photocathode, they release a stream of electrons, which are then multiplied and collected at the anode to produce an amplified electrical signal.

How does a photomultiplier tube work?

A photomultiplier tube works by using the photoelectric effect. When light particles strike the photocathode, they cause electrons to be emitted. These electrons are then accelerated through a series of dynodes, which are electrically charged metal plates. As the electrons pass through each dynode, they are amplified and more electrons are released. This process continues until the electrons reach the anode, where they are collected and converted into an electrical signal.

What are the applications of photomultiplier tubes?

Photomultiplier tubes have a wide range of applications in scientific research and technology. They are commonly used in medical imaging, such as in PET and SPECT scans, to detect and measure radioactive particles. They are also used in particle physics experiments, astronomy, and environmental monitoring. In addition, photomultiplier tubes are used in many consumer devices, such as photocopiers and barcode scanners.

How are photomultiplier tubes different from other types of light detectors?

Photomultiplier tubes have several advantages over other types of light detectors. They have a very high sensitivity to low levels of light, making them ideal for detecting faint signals. They also have a very fast response time, allowing them to detect rapid changes in light intensity. Additionally, they have a wide spectral range, meaning they can detect a broad range of wavelengths of light. However, they can be more complex and expensive to operate compared to other light detectors.

What are some common problems and limitations of photomultiplier tubes?

One common problem with photomultiplier tubes is that they are very sensitive to external magnetic fields, which can affect their performance. They also have a limited dynamic range, meaning they can only detect a certain range of light intensities. Additionally, they can be susceptible to damage from bright light sources. To mitigate these limitations, some photomultiplier tubes are equipped with magnetic shielding and neutral density filters.