Want to Learn Chinese in China?

• Thread starter iamcool09
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone interested in learning Chinese and looking for suggestions on programs that have solid, interesting, and fun teaching. They mention considering studying in China, specifically in Kunming, and someone recommends the program Minds Abroad, which is located in Kunming and offers comfortable weather year-round. The conversation also touches on the availability of English teaching job placement agencies and the importance of researching them before committing to a school or agency.
iamcool09
Anybody interested in learning Chinese? I am thinking of studying Chinese in China. If you have any good suggestion do let me know. I am looking for a program that has solid, interesting and fun teaching..

thank you..

Physics news on Phys.org
"Chinese" is not a language, sir.

JRPB said:
"Chinese" is not a language, sir.

Chinese is a language, albeit a written one. The writing system is universal across China. Mandarin and Cantonese are dialects.

I don't know if you would expect the same as a student but I hear there are several of those english teaching job placement agencies that are scams. So be careful of the school or agency that you go through.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I don't know if you would expect the same as a student but I hear there are several of those english teaching job placement agencies that are scams. So be careful of the school or agency that you go through.

Yes, I knew someone who moved to Hong Kong to teach English near there. Type in TEFL into a search engine (Teaching English as a Foreign Language)- that's a good place to start, because I think you have to meet certain standards to be listed there.

iamcool09 said:
Anybody interested in learning Chinese? I am thinking of studying Chinese in China. If you have any good suggestion do let me know. I am looking for a program that has solid, interesting and fun teaching..

thank you..

Make your destination to Kunming, a nice place in China having comfortable weather around the year. My friends brother also stays over there and studying at Minds Abroad.

Thank you guys for giving me suggestions...
Hey ransi07, tell me more about the "Minds Abroad"...

1. What are the benefits of learning Chinese in China?

Learning Chinese in China has many benefits, such as immersing yourself in the language and culture, improving your speaking and listening skills, and gaining a deeper understanding of Chinese customs and traditions. Additionally, being surrounded by native speakers and having access to language exchange opportunities can greatly enhance your learning experience.

2. What is the best way to find a reputable Chinese language program in China?

The best way to find a reputable Chinese language program in China is to do thorough research. Look for programs that are accredited and have positive reviews from previous students. It is also helpful to speak with program coordinators and ask about their teaching methods, class sizes, and curriculum. Visiting the program in person or attending an information session can also give you a better sense of the program's quality.

3. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of Chinese before studying in China?

No, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of Chinese before studying in China. Many language programs cater to beginners and offer courses at different levels. Additionally, being immersed in the language and culture can greatly accelerate your learning, even if you have no prior knowledge of Chinese.

4. How long does it typically take to become proficient in Chinese when studying in China?

The time it takes to become proficient in Chinese when studying in China varies for each individual. It depends on factors such as your current level of proficiency, the intensity of your studies, and your dedication to practicing outside of class. Generally, students can expect to see significant improvement within 6-12 months of full-time study.

5. What are some tips for making the most out of studying Chinese in China?

Some tips for making the most out of studying Chinese in China include immersing yourself in the language and culture by practicing speaking with native speakers, joining language exchange programs, and participating in cultural activities. It is also important to set specific goals for yourself and stay motivated by regularly reviewing and practicing what you have learned. Finally, don't be afraid to make mistakes and keep an open mind – learning a new language can be challenging, but also incredibly rewarding.