Guide to Intro Linguistics: Find the Perfect Textbook

In summary, finding the perfect textbook for an introductory linguistics course can be a challenging task, but there are several key factors to consider. These include the textbook's level of comprehensiveness, its organization and structure, and its use of relevant and engaging examples. It is also important to consider the textbook's approach to teaching linguistics, whether it focuses on theoretical concepts or practical applications. Additionally, the price and availability of the textbook should be taken into account. By carefully evaluating these factors, students can find a textbook that best suits their learning style and needs for their introductory linguistics course.
Shackleford
I'm looking for a good introductory linguistics textbook. Unfortunately, I'm not able to squeeze a class into my physics degree. Thanks for any recommendations.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are studying on your own, http://books.google.com/books?id=DObARq3r9MoC" will give you plenty of guidance and practice. The authors have their biases and favorite theories, and the book is from 2001, so you will want to browse other books and journals for a broader and updated perspective, but this will do a lot to help you develop the tools to branch out.

Anything by http://bloch.ling.yale.edu/" seemed cool from the little I read of his.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shackleford said:
Do you know if this is a good book, too?

http://product.half.ebay.com/Language_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ57203635
Nope. I've never seen it and couldn't find any excerpts.

What do you want to get out of the book? Do you want to do research in linguistics? Do you want a better understanding of language? Do you want some interesting ideas or problems to think about?

honestrosewater said:
Nope. I've never seen it and couldn't find any excerpts.

What do you want to get out of the book? Do you want to do research in linguistics? Do you want a better understanding of language? Do you want some interesting ideas or problems to think about?

Well, it's more for intellectual curiosity. I read the first few pages of the Fromkin book online, and I'm probably going to go that route. It describes itself as being a theoretical linguistics book, which coincidentally appeals to me the most.

Cool. Come back if you have questions. I still have that book.

If you want to hear some interesting things about language, try to get your hands on Jespersen's http://books.google.com/books?id=1WcXVIgc2bUC". It is not an introduction or an easy read (its being a century old doesn't help). But it is full of jewels.

honestrosewater said:
Cool. Come back if you have questions. I still have that book.

If you want to hear some interesting things about language, try to get your hands on Jespersen's http://books.google.com/books?id=1WcXVIgc2bUC". It is not an introduction or an easy read (its being a century old doesn't help). But it is full of jewels.
Thank you, you share.
I want download and read it in home, can I download it ?

Sorry I don't see the book must buy before downloadd

The std intro text at Stanford and other top linguistic programs is by O'Grady, Archibald, Aronoff and Rees-Miller, Contemporary Linguistics: An Introduction.

1. What is linguistics?

Linguistics is the scientific study of language, including its structure, development, and use by humans. It covers a wide range of topics such as phonetics, syntax, semantics, and sociolinguistics.

2. Why is it important to have a good textbook for intro linguistics?

A good textbook can provide a clear and comprehensive overview of the subject, as well as offer in-depth explanations of key concepts. It can also serve as a valuable reference for future studies and research.

3. What should I look for in a good introductory linguistics textbook?

A good textbook should have a well-structured and organized content, with clear explanations and examples. It should also cover a wide range of topics, provide relevant and up-to-date information, and have exercises or activities for practice and application.

4. Are there any specific features or elements that make a textbook stand out?

Yes, some textbooks may have unique features such as online resources, audio or video components, or interactive activities that can enhance the learning experience. It's also important to consider the author's expertise and teaching style.

5. Can you recommend any specific textbooks for intro linguistics?

There are many great textbooks available, so it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and learning style. Some popular options include "Linguistics: An Introduction" by Andrew Radford, "Introduction to Linguistics" by Victoria Fromkin and Robert Rodman, and "An Introduction to Language" by Victoria Fromkin, Robert Rodman, and Nina Hyams.