How high was the girl when she let go of the rope?

• Thread starter wadini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, a young girl is swinging on a rope above a swimming hole with an initial velocity of 2.05 m/s at an angle of 35.0 degrees above the horizontal. After being in flight for 0.614 seconds, she wants to know how high above the water she was when she let go of the rope. This is a resistanceless projectile problem, so her trajectory is a parabola and kinematic equations must be used. The kinematic equation for the y-direction is y=Yo+VyoT+1/2Ayt^2, and the acceleration she is subjected to in the y-direction is -9.81 m/s^2 due to gravity. By calculating the y-component of the
wadini
On a hot summer day, a young girl swings on a rope above the local swimming hole . When she let's go of the rope her initial velocity is 2.05 m/s at an angle of 35.0 degrees above the horizontal.
If she is in flight for 0.614 , how high above the water was she when she let go of the rope?

so I think it forms a right triangle and from there I just use the pythagorean theorem and then the Y is my height?

I just have no idea

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a resistanceless projectile problem, that means her trajectory will be a parabola. You will have to use kinematic equations. What's the kinematic equation for the y-direction motion? What acceleration is she subjected to in the y-direction?

are you talking about y=Yo+VyoT+1/2Ayt^2?

I am indeed. You want to find [itex]y_0[/itex] in that equation.

I think acceleration is 9.81

Almost, don't forget gravity is pulling her down while she is flying up so it's -9.81. You can also calculate v_y and you know t.

Isn't y=0 and Vyo 2.05 m/s ?

She stops being in flight when she hits the surface of the water, which is where we have set our 0 point, so indeed y=0. However vy0 is not 2.05 m/s v=2.05 m/s, which is a vector that makes an angle of 35 degrees with the horizontal. You want to know the y-component of this vector.

Oh OKay! I see what you're saying so in order to get Voy you have to use 2.05 in the equation 2.05sin(35) and then plug in the equation from there! That makes sense! Thank you so much! But, I have a question, I thought that you only used that equation for magnitude like y=r * sin() ...you can place velocity in there too ?

Yep that is correct. I am not entirely sure what your last question is. However you always use the equation along the path the acceleration is in. The only acceleration in this problem is g, which acts along the y-direction. You also know that when she let's go she first goes up and then goes down. Therefore her trajectory is a parabola with a maximum, instead of minimum. So the constant in front of the quadratic term needs to be negative.

What is the definition of height?

Height is the measurement of the distance from the bottom to the top of an object or person.

How do you measure height?

Height can be measured using a variety of tools such as a ruler, measuring tape, or a stadiometer. The person or object being measured should stand straight against a wall and the measurement should be taken from the floor to the highest point.

What are some factors that can affect height?

Genetics, nutrition, and overall health can all play a role in a person's height. Additionally, factors such as age, gender, and certain medical conditions can also impact a person's height.

Can height be increased?

While there are no guaranteed ways to increase height, proper nutrition, exercise, and good posture may help a person reach their potential height. In some cases, medical treatments may also be available to help increase height.

What is the average height for men and women?

According to the World Health Organization, the average height for men is around 5 feet 7 inches (170cm) and for women it is around 5 feet 3 inches (160cm). However, these averages can vary depending on factors such as age, race, and geographical location.