How to figure out Perturbed Lagrangians?

In summary, if you are looking for resources on perturbation theory, "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein and "Quantum Mechanics" by John S. Townsend are both recommended books to consult.
Hybird
I hope this is the right area to ask this, but does anyone know of a good link which describes perturbation theory? Or even a good book?

I have a lagrangian that is a function of the vector potential and I need to figure out the perturbed lagrangian by perturbing the vector potential. That is, I need to figure out Delta of Lagrangian of Vector Potential. Or how to I figure out:

dL = L(A+dA) - L(A) = ? Say L = 2A + K

Would it work the same way differentials are taken? How do you figure out:

L(A+dA) ?

Clearly I'm missing something here!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you.A good reference on perturbation theory is the book "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein. It is an excellent resource for learning about perturbation theory and its applications. Another good reference is the book "Quantum Mechanics" by John S. Townsend, which also covers perturbation theory.

1. How do I determine the perturbation in a Lagrangian?

The perturbation in a Lagrangian can be determined by considering the changes in the potential energy and kinetic energy of a system. This can be done by taking the difference between the perturbed and unperturbed Lagrangians.

2. What is the purpose of using perturbed Lagrangians?

Perturbed Lagrangians are used to study the behavior of a system under small disturbances or perturbations. This allows for a more accurate and detailed analysis of the system's dynamics, as compared to using just the unperturbed Lagrangian.

3. How do I calculate the perturbed Lagrangian for a specific system?

The perturbed Lagrangian for a system can be calculated by adding a small perturbation term to the unperturbed Lagrangian. This perturbation term can be determined based on the type of perturbation being applied to the system.

4. Can perturbed Lagrangians be used for any type of system?

Yes, perturbed Lagrangians can be used for any type of system, as long as the system can be described using Lagrangian mechanics. This includes systems in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and field theory.

5. What are the advantages of using perturbed Lagrangians over other methods?

Perturbed Lagrangians offer several advantages over other methods of analyzing systems, such as the ability to study the system's behavior under small disturbances and the ability to incorporate non-conservative forces. They also provide a more intuitive and concise mathematical framework for describing the dynamics of a system.