Question on graphing in the complex plane

In summary, the task is to graph the set M in the complex plane, which includes points z that satisfy the conditions of [(1<|z-i|\leq2) and (z\neq2+i)] or [z = 1 + \pii]. The first condition, 1<|z-i|\leq2, represents an annulus centered at z=i with an inner radius of 1 and outer radius of 2, including the circle |z-i|=2. The second condition, z=1+\pii, represents a single point on the complex plane. The complement of this set includes all points in the complex plane except for the point 1+\pii.
BustedBreaks
Okay, I need to graph the following set in the complex plane:

M={z[tex]\in[/tex]C:[(1<|z-i|[tex]\leq[/tex]2) and (z[tex]\neq[/tex]2+i)] or [z = 1 + [tex]\pi[/tex]i]}

I got the last two constraints, but the first one is what's giving me trouble.

is z-i just x+yi that is (1,1) on the complex plane lowered by 1?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The region described by [itex]1<|z-i|\leq 2[/itex] is the annulus centered at z=i with the inner radius 1 and outer radius 2 and you include the circle |z-i|=2 since you have a less than or equal sign.

Just to expand on n!kofeyn's response: |z| is the distance from 0 to z and so |z- a| is the distance from a to z. |z- i| is the distance from z to i. If |z-i|= 1, the distance from i to z is always 1 so this is a circle of radius 1 centered on i. If |z-i|= 2, this is circle of radius 2 centered on i. [itex]1< |z-i|\le 2[/itex], then, is the points between the two circles, an "annulus". Because |z-i|= 1 is NOT included, the inner boundary of the annulus is not included in the set but because |z- i|= 2 is included, the outer boundary of the annulus is part of the set.

Does this look right? Including the the 5 sets I had to determine.

Thanks!

PS I know it says Final Exam at the top, but I'm not cheating or anything its one from last year :)

Attachments

• 100_0173.jpg
    100_0173.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
Your picture is a little fuzzy, but it looks correct. You need a less than or equal to sign to include 1 for the set of limit points. The boundary |z-i|=1 is part of the set of limit points. Also, your complement is a little wrong. You are union-ing all the points that are not 1+pi*i, which is everything in the complex plane minus that one point! So fix your limit points and complement, and this solution should be good.

1. What is the complex plane?

The complex plane is a mathematical concept that represents complex numbers in a graphical way. It is a two-dimensional plane where the horizontal axis represents the real part of a complex number and the vertical axis represents the imaginary part.

2. How do I graph a complex number in the complex plane?

To graph a complex number, plot its real part on the horizontal axis and its imaginary part on the vertical axis. For example, to graph the complex number z = 3 + 4i, you would plot the point (3,4).

3. What is the significance of the complex plane in mathematics?

The complex plane is significant because it allows us to visualize and manipulate complex numbers, which are important in many areas of mathematics and science. It also helps us understand the relationships between complex numbers and their properties.

4. Can you graph functions on the complex plane?

Yes, functions can be graphed on the complex plane by plotting points that satisfy the equation. The resulting graph is known as a complex function or a complex curve.

5. How does graphing in the complex plane differ from graphing in the real plane?

In the complex plane, we use two axes to represent complex numbers, whereas in the real plane, we only use one axis to represent real numbers. Additionally, the complex plane includes both real and imaginary numbers, while the real plane only includes real numbers.