Logarithm of a discrete random variable

In summary: If each individual random variable had the uniform distribution over 1,2,...,N, then the entropy of the sequence of random variables would be L log_2 N, where N and L are fixed constants, not random variables.
LuculentCabal
I am trying to explore a number of things regarding the entropy of random strings and am wondering how a character set of random size would affect the entropy of strings made from that set.

Using the following formula, I need to take the log of a discrete random variable
[tex]H = L\log_2 N[/tex]

where:
H is the entropy of the string in bits,
L is the length of the string in characters
N is the discrete random variable representing the number of possible characters to choose from

How do you take the logarithm of a discrete random variable? Is there a general method that takes into account any maximum or minimum size of this variable?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, let me clarify

In the event that you are using the 26 characters from the alphabet, then 26 would be the maximum value, 1 would be the minimum value for this discrete random variable. The number of characters from this 26 character set that you use does not have to be 26, it is random. Your string could be all 'A' 's, all vowels, etc. All you know about N is that it is between 1 and 26 (if you are using the alphabetic characters)

I don't know how useful this specific idea really is as far as application is concerned, but I would like to know what the log of a random (discrete or not) variable is and how you would calculate it.

Thanks for the speedy reply, hope this helps

I think you are suffering from a few misconceptions. Foremost among them is the fact that strings do not have entropy (except perhaps kolmogorov entropy, but that's a different story). Random variables are the things that have entropy.

If you have a string built entirely from iid random characters, wouldn't the string be a random variable and therefore have entropy?

Shouldn't the entropy of the random string be the product of the number of iid characters in the string and the logarithm of the number of possible characters to choose from for each character of the string?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

It seems like the string would have an entropy associated with it, sure. Strings can have more or less order... a simple example:

E = {a, b, c}

W3 = {aaa, aab, aac, aba, abb, abc, aca, acb, acc, baa, bab, bac, bba, bbb, bbc, bca, bcb, bcc, caa, cab, cac, cba, cbb, cbc, cca, ccb, ccc}

So:

3 a's, 0 b's, 0 c's: 1/27
3 b's, 0 a's, 0 c's: 1/27
3 c's, 0 a's, 0 c's: 1/27
2 a's, 1 b, 0 c's: 3/27
2 a's, 0 b's, 1 c: 3/27
2 b's, 1 a, 0 c's: 3/27
2 b's, 0 a's, 1 c: 3/27
2 c's, 1 a, 0 b's: 3/27
1 a, 1 b, 1 c: 6/27

So the 1/1/1 state would be the highest-entropy state.

Sorry if this is completely missing the point. Physics major talking.

LuculentCabal said:
If you have a string built entirely from iid random characters, wouldn't the string be a random variable and therefore have entropy?

Shouldn't the entropy of the random string be the product of the number of iid characters in the string and the logarithm of the number of possible characters to choose from for each character of the string?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
If the "string" was built from iid random variables each taking values over an alphabet, it wouldn't really be a string. It would be a sequence of random variables. It would have an entropy, but if you _sampled_ it to get an actual specific string, that string wouldn't have entropy. That distinction is important.

The entropy of the sequence of random variables would be the sum of entropies of the individual random variables. If each individual random variable had the uniform distribution over 1,2,...,N, then the entropy of the sequence of random variables would be L log_2 N, where N and L are fixed constants, not random variables.AUMathTutor, there is a way to assign "entropy" to fixed strings, namely kolmogorov complexity, but that is not the same kind of entropy referred to in the source coding theorem (and in general it's impossible to determine exactly).

mXSCNT said:
The entropy of the sequence of random variables would be the sum of entropies of the individual random variables. If each individual random variable had the uniform distribution over 1,2,...,N, then the entropy of the sequence of random variables would be L log_2 N, where N and L are fixed constants, not random variables.

So if you were to roll three six-sided fair die to determine a value for L, this would not impact the entropy of the "string"? In this case, would you just assume the maximum possible value for L which would be 18? Likewise for N?

That would make sense, but what if you don't know the maximum. For example, a character set of user defined glyphs that could for all we know have an N of infinite (although this is almost surely not the case). I've never had formal education on any of this but I would guess that infinite entropy would violate some physical laws?

Thanks again guys

If you were to use some random process to determine L before producing the string, then yes, that would affect the entropy of the resulting random variable. The entropy of the R.V. would still be a constant, however; it would not depend on L in that case.

Alright, I think I understand now. If [tex]H = L \log_2 N[/tex] where either L or N are random variables, then H will be a random variable and completely esoteric.

Example: You are a literate English speaking person and are randomly introduced to a random culture where you have no idea about their language other than the fact that they have written communication involving strings of characters. You know nothing about the size of their alphabet, case-sensitivity, etc. Relative to you and in a defined context, the entropy of the string in which a literate local would understand to mean what you understand of the string "hello" from your culture (given the same context) would be random. Relative to the literate local, the entropy of this string would be non-random and not esoteric.

Maybe I have been confusing random with chaotic in the context of the logarithm. Would the logarithm of a random variable be mathematically different from the random variable itself only if the random variable was deterministic? Example: If you were to take the natural log of the random variable X, where X is the roll of two 6-sided fair die, would ln(X) be the natural log of X before or after the dice are rolled.

Thanks again.

LuculentCabal said:
I am trying to explore a number of things regarding the entropy of random strings and am wondering how a character set of random size would affect the entropy of strings made from that set.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question or oversimplifying, but the (Shannon) entropy (H) of any randomly generated string of length L from a fixed set of n available unique characters is: H= -log(1/n)^L where (1/n) is the probability under a uniform probability distribution of choosing a particular character from a set of n unique characters.

So if the character set consists of 26 unique characters, than the probability of choosing any particular character is just 1/26 for each trial. If we have string length L and choose base 2 than H=-logb2(1/26)^L. It's easy to see how the values of L and n affect H.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
but the (Shannon) entropy (H) of any randomly generated string of length L from a fixed set of n available unique characters is
For clarity's sake, it's best to maintain the distinction between a randomly generated string, and a sequence of random variables. A specific string does not have a Shannon entropy because it is not a random variable.

mXSCNT said:
For clarity's sake, it's best to maintain the distinction between a randomly generated string, and a sequence of random variables. A specific string does not have a Shannon entropy because it is not a random variable.

I don't follow that. You can very well ask what the probability of a random generator generating a given string is, based on the size of the character set. You can ask what the probability of getting HHHH in four fair coin tosses is. You can also ask what the probability of getting THHT or any other sequence specified a priori is. The probability is 1/16 regardless of what the specification is. The entropy of a randomly generated string is dependent on two variables: the size of the character set (n), and the length of the string (L).

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
I don't follow that. You can very well ask what the probability of a random generator generating a given string is, based on the size of the character set. You can ask what the probability of getting HHHH in four fair coin tosses is. You can also ask what the probability of getting THHT or any other sequence specified a priori is. The probability is 1/16 regardless of what the specification is. The entropy of a randomly generated string is dependent on two variables: the size of the character set (n), and the length of the string (L).

Precisely. The entropy of any four toss sequence would be four bits:

[tex]H = \sum^{I = 4} _{i = 1} log_2 P(h_i)[/tex]

Where [tex]H[/tex] is entropy in bits, [tex]i[/tex] is the toss in the sequence, [tex]I[/tex] is the sequence length, [tex]P(h_i)[/tex] is the probability of getting heads.

So

[tex]H = 4 log_2{1/2} = 4 * 1 = 4[/tex]

So again I ask:
If [tex]P(h_i)[/tex] is itself a random process, is the entropy of a sequence [tex]I[/tex] characters in length random and esoteric?

Thanks for your patience

LuculentCabal said:
If [tex]P(h_i)[/tex] is itself a random process, is the entropy of a sequence [tex]I[/tex] characters in length random and esoteric?

Thanks for your patience

If the entropy of a string is fully determined by two variables, and one or both of these variables are random variables then the entropy is also a random variable. That is, the entropy of the string you actually get is the product of a random process. However, you cannot know the parameters of the distribution of possible strings without knowing the parameters of p(n) and/or p(L). Does that answer your question?

Frankly, this is pretty esoteric.

PS: I used to use hierarchies of probabilities to simulate baseball games. I never could do it for football or basketball, let alone soccer however. However, you have to set the parameters for the distribution you're using. I used real data for the first level (ie batting average), but made up values for the second level.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
Yes, the probability of getting THHT is 1/16 (_assuming_ you are generating only strings of length 4, and assuming a uniform probability distribution). However, events do not have Shannon entropies, only random variables do. This is a clear question of definition which can be resolved by you looking up the definition of Shannon entropy.

You COULD speak of the surprisal of the event. If X is a random variable with the discrete uniform distribution over those strings of the alphabet {T,H} which have length exactly 4, then the surprisal of THHT would be -ln_2 (1/16) = 4 bits. But this fact is easily misleading, because it highly depends on X having that specific distribution. Also important to note is that with this distribution, strings of length other than 4, such as THH, have no surprisal defined because X does not take those values.

Suppose instead that X is a random variable distributed over all nonempty strings of the alphabet {T,H}, such that P(X=x) = 4^{- |x|} where |x| is the length of the string x. You can verify that this is a valid distribution--start by showing P(|X|=y) = 2^{-y}. Now, with this distribution, the surprisal of THHT is -ln_2 (1/256) = 8 bits.

SW VandeCarr said:
If the entropy of a string is fully determined by two variables, and one or both of these variables are random variables then the entropy is also a random variable.
SW VandeCarr said:
Frankly, this is pretty esoteric.

Thank you sir/madam! This is precisely what I needed to know in order to move on to the next phase (aside from the logarithm thing which was covered earlier). Any future questions (of mine) regarding this information will be topics for other threads.

Thanks again :approve:

mXSCNT said:
Yes, the probability of getting THHT is 1/16 (_assuming_ you are generating only strings of length 4, and assuming a uniform probability distribution). However, events do not have Shannon entropies, only random variables do. This is a clear question of definition which can be resolved by you looking up the definition of Shannon entropy.

You COULD speak of the surprisal of the event. If X is a random variable with the discrete uniform distribution over those strings of the alphabet {T,H} which have length exactly 4, then the surprisal of THHT would be -ln_2 (1/16) = 4 bits. But this fact is easily misleading, because it highly depends on X having that specific distribution. Also important to note is that with this distribution, strings of length other than 4, such as THH, have no surprisal defined because X does not take those values.

Suppose instead that X is a random variable distributed over all nonempty strings of the alphabet {T,H}, such that P(X=x) = 4^{- |x|} where |x| is the length of the string x. You can verify that this is a valid distribution--start by showing P(|X|=y) = 2^{-y}. Now, with this distribution, the surprisal of THHT is -ln_2 (1/256) = 8 bits.
The practical lesson to take from this is that strings themselves do not carry information; they only have information (surprisal) with respect to a particular person's assumed probability distribution. The string "Paris is in France" carries less information to someone who already knows that fact than to someone who does not.

Also, if the surprisal depends on the parameter L and you make L a random variable, what you would normally do is change the distribution of strings. The surprisal you get is then calculated from that new distribution, and as before it is a constant, not a random variable.

Last edited:
mXSCNT said:
If X is a random variable with the discrete uniform distribution over those strings of the alphabet {T,H} which have length exactly 4, then the surprisal of THHT would be -ln_2 (1/16) = 4 bits. But this fact is easily misleading, because it highly depends on X having that specific distribution.

Yes, I assume that each possible trial outcome is equally likely for randomly generated discrete string elements (digit strings, etc) unless otherwise specified. The Shannon equation reduces to the one I used when making this assumption. I prefer to keep things simple unless otherwise required. I made clear that I was talking about a uniform distribution (post 11). I believe this is what the OP had in mind.

Last edited:
mXSCNT said:
The practical lesson to take from this is that strings themselves do not carry information; they only have information (surprisal) with respect to a particular person's assumed probability distribution. The string "Paris is in France" carries less information to someone who already knows that fact than to someone who does not.

Also, if the surprisal depends on the parameter L and you make L a random variable, what you would normally do is change the distribution of strings. The surprisal you get is then calculated from that new distribution, and as before it is a constant, not a random variable.

Yes again. You could argue that a randomly generated string, once it is generated, has no information in that it's a completed known fact. This could also be true of an interpretable string which resolves some uncertainty. Strictly speaking, the IT definition of information is counter-intuitive. There is no information once uncertainty is resolved but there is a high surprisal when you learn you won a lottery against all odds. I suppose the "information" is knowing the probabilities when you buy a lottery ticket.

Nevertheless, entropy can be defined in terms of the number of discrete states in which a system can exist. The more states, the higher the entropy. A randomly generated character string can be thought of as one of a countable number of states in which a string could exist. In this sense, such a string has measurable entropy.

Last edited:
mXSCNT said:
Also important to note is that with this distribution, strings of length other than 4, such as THH, have no surprisal defined because X does not take those values.

The probability of THH is (1/8). Shannon entropy is a function of probability and nothing else. Where am I wrong? In terms of surprisal: H=-logb2(1/2)^3=3. Why can't surprisal be defined for this? The binary representation of three is (11). Can surprisal only be evaluated for binary values like 10, 100, 1000, etc? If so, it seems to be a rather restricted measure.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
The probability of THH is (1/8). Shannon entropy is a function of probability and nothing else. Where am I wrong?
As I defined X earlier, it is uniformly distributed over those strings of length 4 over the alphabet {T,H}. The probability of THH with that distribution is 0, so the surprisal of THH is not defined.

mXSCNT said:
As I defined X earlier, it is uniformly distributed over those strings of length 4 over the alphabet {T,H}. The probability of THH with that distribution is 0, so the surprisal of THH is not defined.

?Certainly there is a probability of THH. I don't care if some distribution of X is restricted to binary values: 10, 100, 1000, 10000, etc. The probability of THH or any pre-specified sequence of three coin tosses is 0.125. If you have relevant probabilities and nothing else, you can calculate Shannon entropy. We've already discussed how Shannon entropy might be interpreted (a priori or a posteriori). It's clear I'm taking the former view, you're taking the latter. In the latter view, it seems information doesn't exist. Once an event occurs, it has a probability of one.

Last edited:
Maybe you have some confusion over terminology. The strings over the alphabet {T,H} are the empty string, T, H, TT, TH, HT, HH, TTT, TTH, THT, THH, HTT, and so forth to infinity. The strings over the alphabet {T,H} of length 4 are the strings TTTT, TTTH, TTHT, TTHH, THTT, THTH, THHT, THHH, HTTT, HTTH, HTHT, HTHH, HHTT, HHTH, HHHT, HHHH. There are only sixteen of those. X is distributed uniformly over those sixteen strings, giving each string of length 4 a probability of 1/16. It should now be clear to you that P(X=THH) = 0, because THH is not a string of length 4. Also, if P(X=THH) were greater than 0, then X would not have a valid distribution because the sum of the probabilities of each event of X would be greater than 1.

Last edited:
mXSCNT said:
Maybe you have some confusion over terminology. The strings over the alphabet {T,H} are the empty string, T, H, TT, TH, HT, HH, TTT, TTH, THT, THH, HTT, and so forth to infinity. The strings over the alphabet {T,H} of length 4 are the strings TTTT, TTTH, TTHT, TTHH, THTT, THTH, THHT, THHH, HTTT, HTTH, HTHT, HTHH, HHTT, HHTH, HHHT, HHHH. There are only sixteen of those. X is distributed uniformly over those sixteen strings, giving each string of length 4 a probability of 1/16. It should now be clear to you that P(X=THH) = 0, because THH is not a string of length 4. Also, if P(X=THH) were greater than 0, then X would not have a valid distribution because the sum of the probabilities of each event of X would be greater than 1.

There's more than confusion over terminology here. You gave the alphabet of {T,H} as including THH. Now you're saying that THH has probability zero because its not a string of length 4. Tell me why this isn't patent nonsense. The probability of any pre-specified sequence of three coin tosses is (0.5)(0.5)(0.5)= 0.125. What does this have to do with summing probabilities? Are we on the same planet?

Last edited:
Do you know what a random variable is? You can assign probabilities to events any way you like. I could let P(X=THH) be 1 and P(X=y) for any y != THH be 0, if I wanted to. There is no restriction except that the sum of probabilities for all events be 1 and that the probability of any event be between 0 and 1.

I think you need to get a good introductory book on statistics.

Last edited:
mXSCNT said:
Do you know what a random variable is? You can assign probabilities to events any way you like. I could let P(X=THH) be 1 and P(X=y) for any y != THH be 0, if I wanted to. There is no restriction except that the sum of probabilities for all events be 1 and that the probability of any event be between 0 and 1.

I think you need to get a good introductory book on statistics.

I know what a random variable is. There's eight outcomes for three coins:TTT,TTH,THT,HTT,HTH,THH,HHT and HHH. Each outcome has a probability of 1/8. They add up to one.

SW VandeCarr said:
I know what a random variable is. There's eight outcomes for three coins:TTT,TTH,THT,HTT,HTH,THH,HHT and HHH. Each outcome has a probability of 1/8. They add up to one.

That would be true if the strings were generated by flipping a fair coin exactly 3 times, but that is by no means the only way to generate outcomes. Perhaps you flipped the fair coin exactly 4 times instead, which would yield a different set of outcomes.

If you also include the outcome TTHT with a probability 1/16, then you should at least notice a problem, because with that assignment of probabilities, P(TTT) + P(TTH) + P(THT) + P(HTT) + P(HTH) + P(THH) + P(HHT) + P(HHH) + P(TTHT) = 17/16 > 1.

mXSCNT said:
That would be true if the strings were generated by flipping a fair coin exactly 3 times, but that is by no means the only way to generate outcomes. Perhaps you flipped the fair coin exactly 4 times instead, which would yield a different set of outcomes.

I agree mXSCNT. If I flipped a fair coin four times I would get a different set of outcomes. Very good observation. I'll sleep on it.

Last edited:
LuculentCabal said:

Using the following formula, I need to take the log of a discrete random variable
[tex]H = L\log_2 N[/tex]

where:
H is the entropy of the string in bits,
L is the length of the string in characters
N is the discrete random variable representing the number of possible characters to choose from

How do you take the logarithm of a discrete random variable? Is there a general method that takes into account any maximum or minimum size of this variable?

Thanks in advance

For each value N can take, the new random variable would be log_2 (N) and have the same probability as that of N.

John Creighto said:
For each value N can take, the new random variable would be log_2 (N) and have the same probability as that of N.

I think we are in agreement here. However take a look at my post 15 and see if you agree with that. The OP expressed satisfaction with it in post 17.

In any case I was taking the point of view that if I risked $1 to win $512 given a 1/1024 probability of guessing right, then the surprisal value of learning that I won would be 10 bits. To me surprisal, entropy and information all are essentially the same thing in this context. They are all calculated in the same way. If you read through the thread, it's clear that I agree a known value exists with P=1 and the information value is 0. However, there is something important (I believe) about first learning a result which is informative and perhaps surprising.

Last edited:
john creighto said:
for each value n can take, the new random variable would be log_2 (n) and have the same probability as that of n.

Thank you john creighto. Can you explain a bit further.

Assume that N was representing the throw of a six sided fair die. Are you saying that log_2 (N) would be a discrete random variable with possible values {log_2 (1), log_2 (2), log_2 (3), log_2 (4), log_2 (5), log_2 (6)}? This would seem intuitive but please forgive me, high school offered me no exposure to probability and stats.

Thanks again for contributing. This is really the discussion that I had intended for this thread to be.

LuculentCabal said:

Assume that N was representing the throw of a six sided fair die. Are you saying that log_2 (N) would be a discrete random variable with possible values {log_2 (1), log_2 (2), log_2 (3), log_2 (4), log_2 (5), log_2 (6)}? This would seem intuitive but please forgive me, high school offered me no exposure to probability and stats.

Thanks again for contributing. This is really the discussion that I had intended for this thread to be.

Yes. That is exactly what I am saying.

LuculentCabal, although what John says is correct, it is probably NOT what you want to do (no fault of John's). However, I wash my hands of this thread.

Last edited:
LuculentCabal said:

Hello LuculentCabal.

Using your formula, H would be random variable over the set {0, 1, 1.58, 2, 2.33, 2.59} assuming a uniform probability distribution of die face outcomes and a fixed L=1. Is this what you want? N as you define it, is the number of (distinct) characters in the set for which H is determined. This number is determined by the result of the die throw. We are NOT talking about the set of possible outcomes for the die throw which have N=6 and a uniform P=1/6. In this case H is constant and equals 2.59 for L=1.

Last edited: