The law of conservation of momentum is WRONG practically tried.

In summary: Though the momentum from the ball will be completely transfered, since the body is very heavy, the momentum will be more by virtue of mass...since K.E has an exponential square relationship with velocity, we can say that despite all the momentum getting transferred to the heavy body, most of the energy is still left...this is seen in the form of a recoil on the ball.Based on the principle that when you propel a mass (suppose a ball) on a heavy body and make it hit the heavy body, the impulse that was given to the ball will be transferred to the heavy body, I developed a propulsion system which has
I don't know if there is a language barrier here and some of what you are saying is lost in translation. BUt most of what you have said doesn't seem to form a coherent idea.

It appears that you are saying you have invented a new propulsion system and have come to the conclusion that the law of conservation of momentum is wrong as a result. No matter what you think you've done you haven't broken the laws of physics, and if your system isn't working, its a flaw with the system not the law.

Now unfortunately, as I'm having trouble trying to picture just what the hell you are talking about its impossible to find the flaws in the thinking.

AND EDIT: What the hell is it with people thinking magnets are magical devices that can be considered as not interacting?

Physics news on Phys.org
dE_logics said:
The invention has lots of potency.

I made an arrangement...actually in my invention there are 2 predefined arrangements which work in cycles...so there is a very powerful net propulsion using this principle, so 80-90% elasticity will work very well.

Practically...yeah I agree that I absolutely do not have resource...the collision was not even close to elastic.

So you mean to say, the invention works?...it should work...this is one of its kind, this is an ideal propulsion system.
No, the 'invention' has zero potency.

As far as I can tell your set-up is analogous to the standard problem of a person walking on a canoe. Since there is no net external force on the system (person boat or ball boat in your case) the centre of mass of the system remains stationary. Now, if the person starts to walk along the canoe (or your ball begins to roll) the boat will indeed begin to move in the opposite direction (conservation of momentum). Now, if that person stops (or your ball hits the wall), then the boat must also stop. If the person then walks the other way (or the ball rebounds), then the boat will move in the opposite direction.

The net result is that your boat will go nowhere.

dE_logics said:
So you mean to say, the invention works?...it should work...this is one of its kind, this is an ideal propulsion system.
It should work? Nope. I take it that you verified that it doesn't, correct? (Or is this just an experiment done "on paper"? :wink:)

This is just an elaborate mechanism for converting chemical energy (from your muscles when you threw the ball) into random thermal motion. Not a means of propulsion.

xxChrisxx said:
and have come to the conclusion that the law of conservation of momentum is wrong as a result.

No if it does not work, the law of conservation of momentum is wrong.

And it apparently is not working.

This is not my first invention you know...so I know what sort of difficulties you face, what a company wants etc...

Hootenanny said:
As far as I can tell your set-up is analogous to the standard problem of a person walking on a canoe.

:rofl:

I'm using a ball and magnet for a reason.

The ball STOPS on the boat...if you say there's no propulsion...where did the energy go?

Since there is no net external force on the system (person boat or ball boat in your case) the centre of mass of the system remains stationary.

There is absolutely no law which adds this hindrance...its a misconception.

And if it's not working law of conservation of energy or momentum is wrong!...it's clear!

Now, if the person starts to walk along the canoe (or your ball begins to roll) the boat will indeed begin to move in the opposite direction (conservation of momentum). Now, if that person stops (or your ball hits the wall), then the boat must also stop. If the person then walks the other way (or the ball rebounds), then the boat will move in the opposite direction.

The net result is that your boat will go nowhere.

There's really a lot more to this.

Check out post 28.

Doc Al said:
It should work? Nope. I take it that you verified that it doesn't, correct?

I did it practically...no it did not work and I want to diagnose why.

If it does not work...the laws are wrong and it did not work.

This is just an elaborate mechanism for converting chemical energy (from your muscles when you threw the ball) into random thermal motion.

Thermal?...are you kidding me, we're considering elastic here and you said thermal?

Till now absolutely no one has proved in the invention wrong, yet they say it won't work...what is this?

dE_logics said:
The ball STOPS on the boat...if you say there's no propulsion...where did the energy go?
Random thermal motion.

I did it practically...no it did not work and I want to diagnose why.
Momentum is conserved.

Thermal?...are you kidding me, we're considering elastic here and you said thermal?
:rolleyes: If you stop the ball, it's not "elastic".

dE_logics said:
Till now absolutely no one has proved in the invention wrong, yet they say it won't work...what is this?
Since the rest of us understand conservation of momentum and energy, the burden is on you to prove them wrong. But don't bother doing it here.

Playtime's over. This thread is done.

dE_logics said:
This is not my first invention you know...so I know what sort of difficulties you face, what a company wants etc...
Wow! I'm really impressed. :rolleyes:
dE_logics said:
I'm using a ball and magnet for a reason.
It doesn't matter what you used. The ball stops and ergo the boat must also stop due to conservation of momentum, is this not what you observed?
dE_logics said:
The energy didn't go anywhere, the net amount of energy of the system (you, ball and boat) remained constant.
dE_logics said:
There is absolutely no law which adds this hindrance...its a misconception.
Yes there is, it's called conservation of momentum.
dE_logics said:
And if it's not working law of conservation of energy or momentum is wrong!...it's clear!
Now you're just being a crank.
dE_logics said:
There's really a lot more to this.
No there's not, it's really quite simple. That is, until you managed to over complicate things with your inadequate explanations.
dE_logics said:
Perhaps heat in your muscles?
dE_logics said:
Unless I'm very much mistaken, you have done an experiment that proves it doesn't work. Haven't you?