How many books have you read this year?

• Thread starter maximus
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation discusses the number of books read this year and recommendations for good books. Some participants have read more than 20 books, including a variety of genres such as science fiction, classical literature, and non-fiction. Some also mention their preference for reading over watching sitcoms, while others enjoy the humor and relaxation of shows like Seinfeld and Friends.

how many books have you read so far this year?

• 0-5

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • 6-10

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • 11-15

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • 16-20

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • more?!

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
I would be glad to see what spelling mistake(s) you were referring to.

"Programme". I'm sorry, that word is underlined red for wrong. I turned spell-check on just to double-check your talented spelling.

Do not lie about this. I quoted you only to make sure you wouldn't quickly edit your post and mistakes.

I'm on top of that, so why don't you just admit that you spelt programs wrong?

1) even being just 18, I probably know more languages than you do,

Being only fifteen I speak fluent french, english and cantonese. I can also understand mandarin and speak a bit of it. I also understand spanish when it is spoken to me.

2) I can certainly spell English words better than many Americans my age,

Latvia? Yes. They dislike Americans. No wonder you made rude comments about them, too bad their country has more power, money, resources, schools and entertainment than your country does. Being not Canadian, I am not afraid to admit that America is much more powerful country.

Usually, by 18 most Americans have graduated from High School, some University students. I really doubt you can spell better than they can on a formal essay, not just a daily basis.

You probably spend more time on your posts than I, or the other North Americans here do.

3) I can read scientific texts in English, which is not everyone can do in a foreign language without ever having been taught to read that kind of literature.

Most people know 2 languages. In fact, in America it is a requirement to get into a University that one knows two languages fluently (writing, and speaking).

Most can read any book you've read at the age of 18.

Quite a few Asians at age 18 can easily read the books you've read. English is usually their third language (if you discount another english language like mandarin). Most of them are at M.I.T., or UC-Berkeley, two of the top Universities in America. English is not their first language either, and the books at those Universities aren't easy.

Everything you write here is just a bunch of unsupported and hypocritical crap.

I would be glad to see what spelling mistake(s) you were referring to.

Easy, "programme" or was it "programmes"? It doesn't matter, it was misspelled either way. I am not usually a grammar or spelling nazi because I am not the best at the subject, but correcting you was just too much to resist. Besides, it stood out like a sore thumb out of your paragraphs full of boasts.

BTW, when you edit a post for a spelling mistake, it is noted at the bottom. Don't try it, I already quoted you. Denying it just makes you look more asinine.

Since you are surprised I am not from American, I am surprised at your rudeness and insecurity. I have lots of friends that origin from Latvia, or somewhere near there. None of them are like you.

I don't make remarks about Latvia, so I suggest you don't do the same for American/Americans.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Programme" is certainly not mispelt. "Program" is used in American English and Computing, while "Programme" is used in Standard English.

Originally posted by kenikov
"Programme". I'm sorry, that word is underlined red for wrong. I turned spell-check on just to double-check your talented spelling.

Do not lie about this. I quoted you only to make sure you wouldn't quickly edit your post and mistakes.

I'm on top of that, so why don't you just admit that you spelt programs wrong?

Just in case you have doubts about what Lonewolf said, you can check it at www.dictionary.com.

By the way, I wouldn't edit my posts for something like this, I don't know where you got the idea I would.

I usually make sure I know what I am talking about before correcting someone's mistakes.

Being only fifteen I speak fluent french, english and cantonese. I can also understand mandarin and speak a bit of it. I also understand spanish when it is spoken to me.
Five languages. Yes, you do indeed know more languages than I do. Congratulations, I'd love to be able to speak all of them!

Latvia? Yes. They dislike Americans. No wonder you made rude comments about them,

I don't think I've made any rude comments about them (but then I could have just forgotten having made them). Anyway, if I did make any, they are definitely based on personal experiences by my close relatives or friends.
too bad their country has more power, money, resources, schools and entertainment than your country does. Being not Canadian, I am not afraid to admit that America is much more powerful country.

I don't think I've ever denied that America is powerful. It is, which is why it does what it wants and doesn't listen to any other countries. Are you saying it's a good thing?

[By the way, I think it would be interesting to see how many schools there are in Latvia and America per one person.]

Usually, by 18 most Americans have graduated from High School, some University students. I really doubt you can spell better than they can on a formal essay, not just a daily basis.

I am a University student, by the way.

It is, of course, possible that American students' writing improves dramatically when they are writing a formal essay, but when you see a simple word like "definition" misspelt in an otherwise correct text, it is easy to assume they lack either concentration or knowledge. Also, more than once have I seen words "they're" and "their" used incorrectly.

You probably spend more time on your posts than I, or the other North Americans here do.

Wrong. My Latvian is certainly much better than my English, but I don't spend more time writing in English than I do writing in Latvian. I like doing other things too much to spend time making sure my posts are perfect.

Most people know 2 languages. In fact, in America it is a requirement to get into a University that one knows two languages fluently (writing, and speaking).

Hmm... it never occurred to me that a different situation was actually possible!

Most can read any book you've read at the age of 18.
Quite a bold statement, especially considering you have no idea what books I have or have not read.

English is usually their third language (if you discount another english language like mandarin). Most of them are at M.I.T., or UC-Berkeley, two of the top Universities in America. English is not their first language either, and the books at those Universities aren't easy.

What is the point of this paragraph? Are you saying I wouldn't be able to read these books? I don't really undrstand.

Everything you write here is just a bunch of unsupported and hypocritical crap.

I think a neutral person would be more fit to make such judgements. Also, I would love to be pointed out in what way I have been hypocritical.

Easy, "programme" or was it "programmes"? It doesn't matter, it was misspelled either way. I am not usually a grammar or spelling nazi because I am not the best at the subject, but correcting you was just too much to resist. Besides, it stood out like a sore thumb out of your paragraphs full of boasts.

Stood out like a sore thumb, eh?

I don't think I've boasted more than you have.

BTW, when you edit a post for a spelling mistake, it is noted at the bottom. Don't try it, I already quoted you. Denying it just makes you look more asinine.

I really don't know where you got the idea I'd edit my post.

By the way, even if I had made a mistake, and I probably have made one somewhere, making a mistake in a foreign language is not an immediate sign of mental degeneracy, so do ease up a bit.

Since you are surprised I am not from American, I am surprised at your rudeness and insecurity. I have lots of friends that origin from Latvia, or somewhere near there. None of them are like you.

I wonder if I have been ruder than you have. It's hard to believe it could actually be so.

Last edited:
One correction to Kenikov's
information: Americans are not
required to be fluent in two
languages to enter a University.
They are only required to have
acquired a certain amount of
study time of a foreign language.

2 years is the general suggestion for mid-level universities. More is preferred for most high-level.

east of eden by john steinbeck
the things they carried by tim o'brien
(both required summer reading for my lit class [both VERY good, although steinbeck needs a lot of mental strength])
lord of the rings (all 3) by j.r.r tolkien
meditations (dont know which translation) by marcus aurelius
*dont know the title* but its a few short stories (including the original ender's game) by orsen scott card
all of the new jedi order books (around ten)
tatooine ghost by someone
(yes I am a star wars fan)
absolutly american (READ IT!) by again no clue (nonfiction)
various books of military strategy

a note on the foreign language, the university of california requires, i believe 3 years of a high school level language class.

*dont know the title* but its a few short stories (including the original ender's game) by orsen scott card

"Maps in the Mirror", or "First Meetings in the Enderverse"? To my knowledge, those are the only two that contain the first Ender Story.

And are the Jedi Order books any good? I've read the Comic series (I'm on Dark Empires 2 right now), and it was really good. I've seent them around but havn't had time to try the series out yet.

"Programme" is certainly not mispelt. "Program" is used in American English and Computing, while "Programme" is used in Standard English.

According to the Admin of this website, he made it and he lives in Wisconsin, which is very American.

According to the American dictionary, american spell-check in Appleworks and Safari, "programme" is wrong.

It is unacceptable. There is a large redline under it in my post as I type right now, as if saying "correct this spelling".

It is wrong. This is an American site.

Originally posted by Beren

...The Vampire Lestat, Anne Rice...

was this any good. i have it sitting in my bookshelf but never bother to pick it up. and how was Interview with a Vampire?

Originally posted by maximus
was this any good. i have it sitting in my bookshelf but never bother to pick it up. and how was Interview with a Vampire?

Excellent! Incredibly Excellent! Especially so for athiests (insert quote in my banner, here). I highly advise it to everyone. I'm on Queen of the Damned at the moment and progressing quickly. I love the entire Vampire Chronicles series.

Originally posted by kenikov
According to the Admin of this website, he made it and he lives in Wisconsin, which is very American.

According to the American dictionary, american spell-check in Appleworks and Safari, "programme" is wrong.

It is unacceptable. There is a large redline under it in my post as I type right now, as if saying "correct this spelling".

It is wrong. This is an American site.
I see that it is useless to argue with you. Obviously the American way is the only way that counts. So when are you going to go to England and say they know nothing about English, because the American way to speak it is the only way to speak (or write) it?

This seems like an international site to me (= meant for people who are interested in physics no matter where they happen to live).

Then why, Kenikov, is it the English language, and not American, although I'm sure you'd much rather have it that way? Perhaps you don't appreciate that spelling is a convention, and that there has been a formal system of spelling in the English language for a small fraction of its existence.

You're all needlessly squabbling. Honestly, the internet is supposed to be a place without nationalistic boundries. He can spell "program" with t's, i's, and various letters of the hebrew alphabet, as long as the message gets across. Have a little sense.

... lonewolf, please use english, because you lost me there

Irony thrown aside, his post made perfect sense. There's a difference between English and American English.

Alright, who voted that they'd read more than 20 books so far, this year? That's about my yearly average, and I'm generally considered a fast reader (about 530 pages every 35 minutes).

Wow...530 pages every 35 minutes... I can't even comprehend reading that fast...I voted that I have read 20 or more books this year... I really love reading and it is rare that u find me without a book.
Some of the books I have read this year include:
Xanth series by Piers Anthony (again)
Hyperspace by Michio Kaku
Simirillion by Tolkien (again)
Alice in Quantumland.. forgot the author
Alice in Woderland by Lewis Carroll (again)
Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde
Metamorphosis by Kafka
Harry Potter and the Order Phoenix
Europe a concise history by Norman Davies (Still yet to finish)
Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder
Uncle Johns Bathroom readers series

I can't think of anymore... I'm always up for good recommendation so please let me know...:smile:

I've read over 20 books in the past two months, and I don't read that fast. (and if you are reading the fast, I question how much you're absorbing).

It's not hard really, if you're a true "avid" reader, and you have either a nice income or a good local library.

<h2>1. How do you keep track of all the books you've read this year?</h2><p>As a scientist, I like to keep organized records of everything I do, including my reading habits. I use a spreadsheet or a reading tracking app to keep track of the titles, authors, and dates of the books I've read.</p><h2>2. How many books do you typically read in a year?</h2><p>This varies from person to person and depends on various factors such as free time, reading speed, and personal preferences. As a scientist, I make sure to set aside some time for reading every day, and on average, I read around 50-60 books per year.</p><h2>3. Do you read books from a specific genre or do you read a variety of genres?</h2><p>I believe in the importance of reading a diverse range of genres and topics to expand my knowledge and understanding of the world. Therefore, I make sure to read books from a variety of genres, including fiction, non-fiction, science, history, and more.</p><h2>4. How do you choose which books to read?</h2><p>I have a diverse range of interests, and as a scientist, I am always curious to learn new things. Therefore, I choose books based on recommendations from friends, reviews, bestseller lists, and my own research on interesting topics and authors.</p><h2>5. Can you recommend any must-read books from your list this year?</h2><p>As a scientist, I read a lot of books related to my field of study, but I also enjoy reading for leisure. Some must-read books from my list this year include "Sapiens" by Yuval Noah Harari, "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot, and "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho.</p>

1. How do you keep track of all the books you've read this year?

As a scientist, I like to keep organized records of everything I do, including my reading habits. I use a spreadsheet or a reading tracking app to keep track of the titles, authors, and dates of the books I've read.

2. How many books do you typically read in a year?

This varies from person to person and depends on various factors such as free time, reading speed, and personal preferences. As a scientist, I make sure to set aside some time for reading every day, and on average, I read around 50-60 books per year.

3. Do you read books from a specific genre or do you read a variety of genres?

I believe in the importance of reading a diverse range of genres and topics to expand my knowledge and understanding of the world. Therefore, I make sure to read books from a variety of genres, including fiction, non-fiction, science, history, and more.

4. How do you choose which books to read?

I have a diverse range of interests, and as a scientist, I am always curious to learn new things. Therefore, I choose books based on recommendations from friends, reviews, bestseller lists, and my own research on interesting topics and authors.

5. Can you recommend any must-read books from your list this year?

As a scientist, I read a lot of books related to my field of study, but I also enjoy reading for leisure. Some must-read books from my list this year include "Sapiens" by Yuval Noah Harari, "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot, and "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho.