Torque T & Its Work: No Gravity, No Friction

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem in Introductory Physics involving a spinning gyro and torque. The question is whether the equation on the left of the picture is correct and where the work done by the torque goes. The conversation also touches on the concepts of angular speed, moment of inertia, and kinetic energy. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the problem being solved by the person.
kyiydnlm
gyro.jpg

Read the picture please. My question is: where does the work done by torque T go and is the equation on left all right? No gravity, no friction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Come on man, how come this problem be an Introductory Physics homework?

Trying showing some work and explaining the situation a little. What you're given and such. All i see is a spinning disc with some 'spin' and torque.

Sorry.

The "spinning disk" is a gyro spinning at angular speed omega and the moment of inertia about this spinning axis is I.

A torque T is applied on the gyro and perpendicular to spin axis, the torque is also called gyroscopic torque.

The rotation caused by torque T is theta. theta dot is derivative of theta, theta dot dot is second order derivative of theta. Moment of inertia about theta axis is Iy (perpendicular to spin axis).

My question: is the equation on the left of the picture all right? The work done by T (gyroscopic torque) contributes to what, where it goes finally?

The work done by T torque is the... κινητικη ενεργεια... kinimatecal or mobility energy how you call it. If I understood correct the T at first stops the gyro THEN makes it move with a different dirrection. So at first it has negative work (takes from it's energy because of the movement) and after the stop it gives to it.

Not that case. The spinning gyro is at rest at beginning; then a torque is applied. What happens? If torque is dismissed after a while, then what?

Solved!
I figured it out.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the turning or twisting force of an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque affected by gravity?

In a no gravity environment, torque will not be affected by gravity as there is no external force acting on the object to create a turning or twisting motion. However, in a gravitational field, the weight of the object can create a torque that can affect its rotation.

3. How does torque work without friction?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can create a torque that resists the rotation of an object. In a no friction environment, the object will rotate freely without any external resistance and the torque will be solely determined by the applied force and the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. What are the applications of torque in a no gravity, no friction environment?

In a no gravity, no friction environment, torque can be used to control the rotation of objects such as satellites or spacecraft. It can also be used in the design of mechanical systems, such as gears and pulleys, for efficient power transmission.

5. How is torque measured in a no gravity, no friction environment?

In a no gravity, no friction environment, torque can be measured using specialized instruments such as torque sensors or torque meters. These devices can measure the force and distance involved in a rotation and calculate the torque applied to an object.