Solve Compound Interest Problem: Isolate Variable t

• Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary, the user is trying to solve a compound interest problem where the initial amount is 10000 and the interest rate is 0.06. They have tried different methods (including using the W Lambert function) but have not been successful. They have asked for a simpler way to solve the problem and have been given an approximation.
Lancelot59

Homework Statement

I need to solve a compound interest problem. Easy enough on it's own. However in this case 400 is taken away each month.

So I used this formula:

3c61f664e4b9ae0ea85f89dff6b52548.png

then subtracted this from it:

(W x 12)t

Where W is the amount withdrawn monthly, and then multiplied by twelve to make it an annual amount.

The initial amount was 10000, the interest rate is 0.06, it gets compounded monthly, and the number of years is the unknown.

So to solve for t I filled in the values:

0 = (10000(1-(0.06-12))^12t) - (400 X 12)t

Then I did this:

48000t/10000 = 1-(0.06-12))^12t

Which went down to:

4.8t = (0.995)^12t

I tried logs and a few other random things, but nothing worked. How can I isolate t?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation can be rewritten in the commonly encountered form:
[tex]-12t\ln (0.995)e^{-12t\ln (0.995)} = -\frac{12}{4.8}\ln(0.995)[/tex]
which simplifies to
[tex]t = \frac{W\left(-\frac{12}{4.8}\ln(0.995)\right)}{-12\ln(0.995)}[/tex]
where W is the Lambert W function, also known as the product logarithm. The product logarithm is a transcendental function, so it cannot be written as a finite combination of elementary functions. You can ascertain the value of W by looking it up in a table or using a calculator that includes the W function (ie., Mathematica).

I didn't get any of that. Is there no simpler way of isolating t in

4.8t = (0.995)^12t

?

Lancelot59 said:
I didn't get any of that. Is there no simpler way of isolating t in

4.8t = (0.995)^12t

?

Unfortunately not. It is in the classic form of a product logarithm (exponential and polynomial in t). Other methods include using normal calculus tools.

Ah, so I haven't forgotten everything over the summer.

Could you please explain that method in greater detail?

I doubt you would be expected to be able to use the W lambert function (whatever the hell that is :biggrin:).
If it truly came down to isolating such a crazy little nutter, how about an approximation from Newton's method or just using a calculator? In the end, this is a money question so an approximation is going to be given anyway.

Heres a nicer way of answering the question though:

let P be the initial payment of $10,000
and T(n) stand for the nth month of payment

Therefore,
[tex]T(0)=P[/tex]
[tex]T(1)=P(0.06)-400[/tex]
[tex]T(2)=[T(1)](0.06)-400=[P(0.06)-400](0.06)-400[/tex]
[tex]T(3)=[T(2)](0.06)-400=(\left[P(0.06)-400](0.06)-400\right)-400[/tex]

Expand this out and see if you can find a pattern :wink:
You'll have to go back and remember what the formula for the sum of a geometric series is though.
Once you find the pattern (if you do), then try apply use it to express T(t) where t is the number of months since the deposit was made.

Also, even though you forgot to mention that after time t there is nothing left in the bank, you've showed it when using that formula A=0. Similarly, T(t)=0.

Good luck! and if you get stuck don't forget to ask! :smile:

Lancelot59 said:
Ah, so I haven't forgotten everything over the summer.

Could you please explain that method in greater detail?

The Lambert W function is a function with very nice properties. You can really only learn certain values of Lambert by normal study (akin to how one learns natural logarithms or trigonometric functions). The rest, just use your calculator or a series method from calculus. See "A New Elementary Function for our Curricula?" and this MathWorld entry.
Mentallic's method is also a good approach.

Ok, I'll look into it and come back. The thing is I want to kick the calculator as much as possible.

The reason I need to isolate it is so that I can write a program that solves this program accurately.

Newtons' Approximation for this situation sounds like the best plan. Should be easy enough to code it in and make it repeat until it hits zero. So...time to derive it.

Last edited:

1. How do I isolate the variable t in a compound interest problem?

To isolate the variable t in a compound interest problem, you will need to use the formula A = P(1+r/n)^(nt), where A is the final amount, P is the principal amount, r is the interest rate, n is the number of times the interest is compounded per year, and t is the number of years. You can then rearrange the formula to solve for t.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve compound interest problems and isolate the variable t?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve compound interest problems and isolate the variable t. Most scientific or financial calculators have a built-in function for calculating compound interest, making it easier to solve for t.

3. What is the significance of isolating the variable t in a compound interest problem?

Isolating the variable t in a compound interest problem allows you to find the exact number of years it will take for an investment to reach a certain amount. This can help you make informed decisions about your investments and plan for the future.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for isolating the variable t in a compound interest problem?

Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts or tricks for isolating the variable t in a compound interest problem. You will need to use the formula and algebraic principles to solve for t.

5. Can I use the same method to isolate t in any compound interest problem?

Yes, the method for isolating t in a compound interest problem is the same for all problems. However, you may need to adjust the formula slightly depending on the specific problem and what variable you are trying to solve for.