How Can I Solve These High School Physics Problems?

In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for help with two questions from a textbook on a physics forum. The first question involves calculating the average speed, acceleration, final speed, and speed when halfway down a slide. The second question involves the speed and velocity changes of a golf ball and a tomato when dropped from a height of 2.00m. The conversation also includes the equations of motion and the student's attempts at solving the questions.
arunb
Hello everyone,

this is my first post on the forum.
I'm well...a dunce and not too bright, but I'm really interested in science and want to do well at it as well as at school. These are two questions from a textbook I borrowed from the library. I can't ask my teacher because it is not the prescribed text (i've done these and they have a reputation for being too easy) and he was one of the authors of the prescribed book itself.

Homework Statement

1) Cassie starts from rest at the top of a 3.2 m long
playground slide and slides to the bottom with a constant
acceleration. If she takes 2.4 s to reach the bottom,
calculate:

a her average speed
b her average acceleration
c her final speed
d her speed when she is halfway down the slide.

2) Vinh is investigating the bouncing ability of a golf ball and a
tomato. He drops both objects from a height of 2.00 m
and measures the rebound heights. He found that the golf
ball rebounded to 1.50 m and the tomato just splattered
without rebounding at all. Ignore air resistance when
answering these questions.

a What was the speed of the golf ball just before it
landed?
b What was the speed of the tomato just before it hit
the ground?
c Calculate the speed of the golf ball as it rebounded.
d Which object had the greater change in speed as it landed? Calculate the speed change of this object.
e Which of these objects experienced the greater
change in velocity as it landed? Calculate the velocity
change of this object.

Homework Equations

Maybe the equations of motion which can be derived
from the definitions for velocity and
acceleration.
a = change in v over t
By rearrangement, at = Δv, so that
at = v − u, or v = u + at
Also, v(subscript) av = x/t , or x = v(subscript)av(normal script)t
Substituting for v(sub)av,
x = (u + v)t
and substituting v = u + at for v:
x = (1/2)(u + u + at)t
x = ut + at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The first question 1a) I worked out to 1.33m/s (distance over time). This was the right answer.
parts b,c,d I did not know what to do at all.

as for question 2a:

9.8 (gravity acceleration) x time^2 = 2
s^2 = 0.204
s=0.451
9.8/0.451 = 21.73

but the book answer was: 6.26 m/s

as for question 2b

I know that there was the experiment of dropping a bowling ball over that tower as well as a feather experiment so they would both have the same speed = 6.26m/s. this is correct if you allow for consequential errors.

I didn't know anything for question part c
whilst part d I knew would be the tomato and part e the ball
I don't know more than that though.

I hope someone has time to help me. I would really appreciate it. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

For 1c, it is useful to know that the average velocity is the average of the initial and final velocities.

For 2a,

9.8 (gravity acceleration) x time^2 = 2
Actually this should be

(1/2) (9.8 m/s^2) t^2 = 2.00 m​

where t is the time.

-----

p.s. for subscripts, try [noparse]vav[/noparse] for vav

Hi there,

First of all, I want to commend you for taking the initiative to seek help and improve your understanding of physics. That is a great attitude to have as a student of science.

Now, let's tackle the first question. To calculate Cassie's average speed, we need to use the formula v = d/t, where v is the average speed, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time taken. In this case, the distance traveled is 3.2m and the time taken is 2.4s. So, the average speed is 3.2/2.4 = 1.33 m/s, as you correctly calculated.

To find her average acceleration, we need to use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the average acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken. In this case, we know that Cassie starts from rest, so her initial velocity (vi) is 0 m/s. We also know that her final velocity (vf) is equal to her average speed, which we calculated to be 1.33 m/s. So, the average acceleration is (1.33 - 0)/2.4 = 0.55 m/s^2.

To find her final speed, we can use the formula vf = vi + at, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time taken. In this case, we know that Cassie starts from rest, so her initial velocity (vi) is 0 m/s. We also know that her acceleration is 0.55 m/s^2, and the time taken is 2.4s. So, her final speed is vf = 0 + (0.55)(2.4) = 1.32 m/s.

To find her speed when she is halfway down the slide, we can use the formula x = ut + 1/2at^2, where x is the distance traveled, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time taken. In this case, we know that Cassie starts from rest, so her initial velocity (u) is 0 m/s. We also know that the distance traveled when she is halfway down the slide is 1.6 m (half of 3.2 m).

1. What is the basic definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions in the natural world.

2. What are the main topics covered in high school level physics?

High school level physics typically covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics.

3. What are some common real-world applications of high school level physics?

High school level physics concepts can be applied to a variety of real-world situations, including understanding the motion of objects, designing electrical circuits, and explaining the behavior of light and sound.

4. What are some key skills students can develop through studying high school level physics?

Studying high school level physics can help students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical skills. It also helps students understand how the world works and how to apply scientific principles to their daily lives.

5. How can I prepare for high school level physics?

To prepare for high school level physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly algebra and geometry. It can also be helpful to familiarize yourself with basic scientific concepts and develop good study habits to effectively learn and apply physics principles.