Matsubara frequency convergency factor

• Thread starter welshtill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the individual is seeking help with understanding the correct convergency factor when dealing with Matsubara frequency summations in the context of functional integral techniques in condensed matter physics. They are unsure of how to obtain the correct factor and are asking for assistance or clarification from the community. The individual also mentions that they are not currently at Cambridge and may not have a complete understanding of the concept.
welshtill
hi, everyone,this is the first time i put a thread here.
thanks in advance

i am now learning functional integral techniques in condensed matter physics.when dealing with Matsubara frequency summations,one will meet with the convergency factor(for example http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bds10/tp3.html,lecture notes chapter 4,14/19,then info.)i really don't know how one can get the correct convergency factor,can anyone help me on this problems,or just tell me what does the author mean in the material i gave above.
it's of great help for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello! Are you at Cambridge? If so, maybe the correct approach would be to wait for Ben to actually do the course, and ask him!

First of all, do you understand why the Matsubara summation method works, and what is needed for it to be applicable?

thanks. i am not at Cambridge. for your question, I don't know the answer. some one asked me this question long before. what i know is matsubara summation is nothing but a summation caused by Fourier transformation, like momentum.

1. What is the Matsubara frequency convergency factor?

The Matsubara frequency convergency factor, also known as the Matsubara convergence factor or Matsubara sum, is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics and quantum field theory to calculate thermal and quantum correlation functions. It is defined as the product of the Bose-Einstein distribution function and the frequency-dependent term in the correlation function.

2. How is the Matsubara frequency convergency factor used in statistical mechanics?

In statistical mechanics, the Matsubara frequency convergency factor is used to calculate thermal correlation functions in systems at finite temperature. It is used to sum over all possible energy states of a system and determine the probability of finding the system in a particular state at a given temperature.

3. What role does the Matsubara frequency convergency factor play in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, the Matsubara frequency convergency factor is used to calculate quantum correlation functions at finite temperature. It is used to sum over all possible energy levels of a quantum field and determine the probability of finding a particular state at a given temperature.

4. How does the Matsubara frequency convergency factor relate to the Bose-Einstein distribution function?

The Matsubara frequency convergency factor is defined as the product of the Bose-Einstein distribution function and the frequency-dependent term in the correlation function. This means that the Matsubara frequency convergency factor takes into account the quantum nature of the particles in the system and their distribution at a given temperature.

5. What is the significance of the Matsubara frequency convergency factor in quantum statistical mechanics?

The Matsubara frequency convergency factor plays a crucial role in quantum statistical mechanics as it allows for the calculation of thermal and quantum correlation functions at finite temperature. This is important in understanding the behavior of systems at different temperatures and their phase transitions, and has applications in various fields such as condensed matter physics and cosmology.