Entering Math Formulas in PF - A Guide

• Thread starter alexepascual
  • Start date
In summary: I am going to install Lyx on my desktop PC to write articles. If I can't find something similar for Open Office then I'll look into purchasing MathType.
alexepascual
I would like to know if there is a simple way to enter mathematical formulas in PF.
Someone suggested a few days ago that I use WinShell. This doesn't seem to be easy to use and the documentation is not very helpful. I thought for a while that I could eventually use it to write articles, but I am getting frustrated. Even If I can't find a good, well documented program to write LaTex articles, I would like to have a way to insert mathematical expressions in the forum. I though the forum used to have a built-in way to do this a few years ago, but I don't see that now. I realize that I can learn LaTex and type it in, but I would rather use my brain to learn more physics rather than LaTex. If there was some WYSIWYG program similar to Equation Editor which allowed to save the formulas in LaTex that would be great. I'll appreciate your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only wysiwyg Latex editor I know of is lyx (http://www.lyx.org/)
Don't use it so I on't know how good at formulae it is

alexepascual said:
If there was some WYSIWYG program similar to Equation Editor which allowed to save the formulas in LaTex that would be great.

MathType (the full-featured version of Word's Equation Editor) can be configured so that equations on the clipboard are in LaTeX format. Then you can copy an equation from MathType and paste it into a posting directly as LaTeX. Of course, you have to buy it, so it won't do if you're looking for a free solution.

Last edited:
mgb_phys said:
The only wysiwyg Latex editor I know of is lyx (http://www.lyx.org/)
Don't use it so I on't know how good at formulae it is

Thanks mgb_phys for this information. I went to the link you listed and I liked what I saw. It looks that the documentation is much better than that available for WinShell and it appears at first sight that the program is easier to use. I think I am going to install this program in my desktop PC to write articles. I may still look into a smaller solution such as MathType to write formulas in the forum.
Thanks again,
Alex

jtbell said:
MathType (the full-featured version of Word's Equation Editor) can be configured so that equations on the clipboard are in LaTeX format. Then you can copy an equation from MathType and paste it into a posting directly as LaTeX. Of course, you have to buy it, so it won't do if you're looking for a free solution.

I'll look into this. Currently I have only Open Office installed on my Vista laptop. I'll get more information about MathType as I don't know if I can use it stand-alone. If I can't then I'll see if there is something similar for open office.
Thanks a lot jtbell for the info.

1. How do I enter a fraction in a math formula?

To enter a fraction, use the forward slash (/) symbol to separate the numerator and denominator. For example, to enter the fraction 3/4, type "3/4" in the formula.

2. Can I use exponents in my math formula?

Yes, you can use exponents in your math formula by using the caret (^) symbol. For example, to enter "x squared" in your formula, type "x^2".

3. What is the order of operations in PF?

The order of operations in PF is the same as in regular math, also known as PEMDAS (parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division, addition and subtraction). However, you can use parentheses to change the order of operations in your formula.

4. How do I enter a square root symbol in my formula?

To enter a square root symbol, use the "sqrt()" function. For example, to enter the square root of 16, type "sqrt(16)" in your formula.

5. Is it possible to use Greek letters in my math formula?

Yes, you can use Greek letters in your formula. To enter a Greek letter, type "\" followed by the name of the letter. For example, to enter the Greek letter "pi", type "\pi" in your formula.