How Do You Calculate the Work Done Moving a Fridge Up a Ramp?

In summary, the problem involves moving a 150kg fridge up a 12m ramp with a rise of 2.4m. The mover exerts a constant force of 710N and the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. To find the work done, the force of gravity is split into two components using the angle of the ramp. The work done is equal to the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy, which equals 8520N. The question asks for the work done by the person pulling the fridge up the ramp, so the potential energy should be added to the initial work calculation.
ddn87

Homework Statement

Moving a 150kg fridge a 12m ramp with a rise of 2.4m. the mover pulls the ridge up with a constant force of 710 N. the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2

Homework Equations

W=Fs
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I found out the angle of the ramp was by doing arcsin(2.4/12)= 11.536959 degrees
So I am trying to figure out which forces to split into two components using this angle.

which then i will plug into w=Fs

i set the x and y direction as the direction of the ramp so I split the force of gravity into two components.

i took 710N- Fg)x= Fnet
so i did 710-mgsin(11.536959)=416 N
then i multiplied that number by 12
and got 4992

is this correct if not can you lead me in the right direction

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are trying to find the work done, I think it's right if I understand the question correctly.

I got that answer wrong is there a component I am forgetting?

There is also a potential energy. which is work (potential)=mgh=150*9.8*2.4=3528
I think work=Kinetic Energy+Potential Energy=3528+4992=8520

hmmm but the question asks... how much work does HE perform.

What is HE? Sorry, not a native speaker

by He i mean... how much work does the person who pulls the fridge up the ramp do?

Yeah, he does work by performing kinetic energy to the fridge as well as pulling the fridge up 2.4 meters (vertically).

so does mean i should add the PE to 4992N?

I think so. If I am wrong, then I am sorry... I am interested in finding out the answer.

i only have two more tries left for this problem, thankyou for your help though. i think I am going to my study TA tomorrow.

What is the work done when moving up a ramp?

The work done when moving up a ramp is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance moved. This is known as the equation for work, W = Fd. However, if the ramp is at an angle, the equation becomes W = Fdcosθ, where θ is the angle of the ramp.

Does the weight of an object affect the work done when moving up a ramp?

Yes, the weight of an object does affect the work done when moving up a ramp. The weight of an object is a force, and as mentioned in the previous answer, work is equal to force multiplied by distance. Therefore, the greater the weight of an object, the greater the work required to move it up a ramp.

How does the length of the ramp affect the work done?

The length of the ramp does not affect the work done when moving up a ramp. As long as the height of the ramp and the angle remain constant, the work done will be the same regardless of the length of the ramp.

What is the relationship between the angle of the ramp and the work done?

The angle of the ramp and the work done have an inverse relationship. As the angle of the ramp increases, the work done decreases. This is because a steeper ramp requires more force to move an object up, resulting in more work being done.

Can friction affect the work done when moving up a ramp?

Yes, friction can affect the work done when moving up a ramp. Friction is a force that acts against motion, so it requires additional work to overcome. This means that if there is friction between an object and the ramp, more work will be required to move the object up the ramp.