Best biology and chemistry textbooks to prepare for college

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding biology and chemistry textbooks for college. Recommendations are made for specific textbooks, such as Petrucci for General Chemistry and Campbell Biology, as well as free online resources. The importance of understanding concepts in studying is emphasized, and suggestions are given for obtaining textbooks for free from professors or learning/tutoring centers.
kodancer
Hi, I was wondering about your opinions and recommendations on some biology and chemistry texts, free or not. I want to use these mainly for review for college since I took these courses in high school with biology being AP. Since I'm planning on majoring in one of these, I would like to have a good, general textbook I can use throughout my years in college. Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Outside of your assigned book the choice which you have no control, you may find an old book by the author, Petrucci for General Chemistry.

I am not sure if you will be taking Anatomy and Physiology in college as one of your biology classes, but if you are, something that may help you is this Human Anatomy and Physiology Home Study course. It is very clear and easy to follow. Not including the many diagrams that is included in it. You can check it out at http://ludlow.eproduct-review.com/categories/higher-education if it sounds like something that you may be interested in.

Most college chemistry course textbooks cover all/most of high school chemistry in the first 3-4 chapters when I was taking general chemistry.

However, from experience of conceptualizing and applying the material I'd definitely suggest an older textbook, Chemistry the Central Science 10th edition. It costs about $15 used (sold by a 3rd party) and $60 new also sold by a 3rd party on Amazon. I bought most of my school textbooks from Amazon, actually ended up saving thousands of dollars (literally) because I didn't care for writing or highlighting, or even some wear and tear, just the information contained inside. Anyway, Chemistry the Central Science covers chem. from the stuff you learned in high school up to an introduction to organic chemistry and how that relates to biological life forms (two semesters), then you would transition onto organic chemistry.

As for biology, from my experience, the first of low-tier courses we took was concerned more with ecology, genetics, and evolution, so just about any biology book would do, but I'd recommend Campbell biology. I still use the 7th edition as a reference tool and it reads just the same as the newer editions of the text. Campbell Biology covers most of modern biology from the chemistry of biological life to the complexity of life on a more macroscopic scale (ecological behavior), so you are getting from what I took in the first-tier, 3 semesters worth of schooling in that one book.

Free stuff:
(Biology)
http://http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabee/biobk/biobooktoc.html" [Broken]
This link is very good if you have the "self teaching" ability. Start now (since high school isn't as demanding as college) and work through it; by the end of the summer you will be finished. Just in time for college.
"[URL [Broken]
Clinton Community College - Biology[/URL]
This link isn't bad either. It will take some discipline and creativity on your part. It's a complete course including a syllabus, labs, professor's advice on studying Bio, and even some practice quiz's. You basically get all the access to the course as if you were actually taking the course. (*there are links to places like Khan academy, etc.,)

Advice to you:
- It's hard self studying something as broad as Biology, so when you're studying make concepts your main goal; it will take your far.
- To prevent your studies from seeming like they are pointless, look on Google for some course syllabi. They will at least serve as some type of map for your study.

Last edited by a moderator:
How to put my questions on physics forum?

Where are the mods? Two "spambots" are on the loose :tongue2:

Edin, the second link is down and the first redirects to:

http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabee/BIOBk/BioBookTOC.html [Broken]

which is still the same site.

But pretty much the same content as Campbell, and I was reading some of the chapters, and it is pretty much a match (Drosophilia flies, etc..., basic stuff). Better to use freeware than buy a pricey book in my opinion until you become specified in biology.

It won't let me edit the post so I have to make a new post. Anyway, here's another try:
"[URL [Broken]
Clinton Community College - Biology[/URL]

Let me know if that one works or not.

@Phoenix: Nothing is better than free stuff, lol. You're spot on with what you're saying. During the summer the OP can "milk" the basics & concepts out of the free-ware links and save some money. When school begins, he'll be well grounded in the basics so studying won't be that hard.
--------------------------------
I met a professor in the Biology department who allows me to take free old textbooks that the Biology faculty and staff don't want anymore. I got a good condition Campbell and Reece's 5th edition. I think they are currently out with 9. But the information/concept is basically the same. My advice to the OP, if your teacher doesn't assign h.w. out of a textbook and check it, then you don't have to buy something that's over priced or the same text the class is using. You can easily obtain an older textbook for way cheaper and it will contain all the basic information.

Also, learning and tutoring centers might give textbooks away. I got a Physics workbook, calc textbook and writers handbook from those give away's. You might get FREE good condition textbooks from faculty and staff that don't want them anymore. Ask around.

go to the best author or those who are good in Sciences. :)

1. What makes a biology or chemistry textbook the "best" for preparing for college?

The best biology and chemistry textbooks for preparing for college are those that are comprehensive, up-to-date, and written by experts in the field. They should also have clear explanations, relevant examples, and practice problems to help students understand and apply the concepts.

2. Are there specific publishers or authors that are known for producing high-quality biology and chemistry textbooks?

Yes, there are several publishers and authors who are known for producing excellent biology and chemistry textbooks. Some examples include Pearson, McGraw-Hill, and Campbell Biology by Neil A. Campbell and Jane B. Reece.

3. Should I focus on one textbook or use multiple resources when preparing for college level biology and chemistry courses?

It is recommended to use multiple resources when preparing for college level biology and chemistry courses. This could include textbooks, online resources, study guides, and practice tests. This will provide a well-rounded understanding of the subject and help you prepare for different types of questions.

4. Are there any online resources or digital versions of textbooks that are recommended for studying biology and chemistry?

Yes, there are many online resources and digital versions of textbooks that are recommended for studying biology and chemistry. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Crash Course, and OpenStax. These resources often offer interactive features and practice questions to help students better understand the material.

5. How can I ensure that I am using the most current edition of a textbook for my biology and chemistry studies?

The best way to ensure that you are using the most current edition of a textbook is to check the publication date and edition number. You can also research the textbook online to see if there have been any updates or new editions released. Additionally, you can ask your instructor for their recommended textbook edition for the course.