First Order Differential Equation

In summary, the student is trying to solve for x but is stuck because they cannot integrate the left-hand side. They are saved by a helpful friend who suggests they use the partial fraction method.
aolse9

Homework Statement

Solve the following first order differential equation for x,

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = 3xy + xy2

Homework Equations

Methods: Separation of Variables, Define an Integrating Factor

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been staring at this question for a while now, hoping that somehow the numbers would start looking nicer for me to solve, but alas this has not happened. I am totally stumped here, any help to steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by seperating the left and right hand side, such that on one side you only have a y-dependence and on the other only an x-dependence. In other words, you want something like this:

[tex] f(y)dy = g(x) dx[/tex]

Written this way it's possible to integrate both sides (do you see why?). You can post your answer or attempt here.

That's separable: dy/dx= x(3y+ y2).

Thanks for the quick reply, so,

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = x(3y + y2)

[tex]\frac{1}{3y + y^2}[/tex]dy = x dx

However, integrating the left hand side is beyond the scope of the subject I am taking at the moment. That's why they have asked to solve for x, I think. Is it still possible to solve for x using this method?

Any ideas?

Are you sure about that? I don't really see an easier approach then to solve these integrals.

The integral on the left hand side is probably not 'out of your scope'. The trick is to separate the fraction. It goes like this:

You have:
[tex]\frac{1}{3y+y^2} = \frac{1}{y(3+y)}[/tex]
Now make the following 'guess':
[tex]\frac{1}{y(3+y)} = \frac{a}{y}+\frac{b}{3+y}[/tex]
That is, we have split the fraction into two easier fractions. We just need to determine a and b -- I'll leave this up to you.

Answer:
[tex]\frac{1}{3y+y^2} = \frac{1/3}{y}-\frac{1/3}{3+y}[/tex]
You should be able to solve the integrals using this form.

aolse9 said:
Thanks for the quick reply, so,

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = x(3y + y2)

[tex]\frac{1}{3y + y^2}[/tex]dy = x dx

However, integrating the left hand side is beyond the scope of the subject I am taking at the moment. That's why they have asked to solve for x, I think. Is it still possible to solve for x using this method?

If all you need to do is solve for x without solving the differential equation, you can do that in one step, starting with the 2nd equation above.

Ah OK, so you use the partial fraction method then integrate each term. Cheers xepma, I should be able to do it now. Also thanks for the input everyone.

1. What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivative. It represents how the rate of change of a quantity is related to that quantity itself.

2. What are the types of first order differential equations?

There are three types of first order differential equations: separable, linear, and exact. A separable differential equation can be written as a product of two functions, a linear differential equation can be written in the form of a linear polynomial, and an exact differential equation has a specific form where the terms are arranged in a particular way.

3. What is the general solution of a first order differential equation?

The general solution of a first order differential equation is a family of solutions that satisfies the equation. It contains an arbitrary constant that can take any value, and by choosing a specific value, we can obtain a particular solution.

4. How are first order differential equations used in science?

First order differential equations are used to model and understand various phenomena in science. They can describe rates of change in physical systems, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. They are also used in fields such as physics, biology, engineering, and economics.

5. What methods can be used to solve a first order differential equation?

There are several methods that can be used to solve a first order differential equation, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution. Other techniques, such as using power series or Laplace transforms, can also be used for more complex equations. The specific method used depends on the type of equation and its properties.