A particle moving in an electromagnetic field

In summary, Barbara has worked out the equations of motion for a particle moving in an electric field and a magnetic field. The equations of motion are given by m x[t]==B0 q y[t] and m y[t]==q (E0-B0 x[t]). The position and velocity of the particle at t=0 are given by cond={x[0]==0, y[0]==0, z[0]==0, x'[0]==V, y'[0]==0, z'[0]==0}. The fields E and B are given in cE={0, E0, 0} and cB={0, 0
Barbara.Ba
Dear Friends

A particle having charge q and mass m moves in a region where
an electric field
E = ( 0 , E_0 , 0 )
and a magnetic one
B = ( 0 , 0 , B_0 )
exist.

For t = 0 its position is
R = ( 0 , 0 , 0 )
and its velocity is
V = ( V_0 , 0 , 0 ).

I have worked out the equations of motion

(
you can see them and their solution in a fine graphical form at
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy150/simona1989_photo/img.jpg

In text only mode they are:

m x''[t]==B0 q y'[t]
m y''[t]==q (E0-B0 x'[t])
m z''[t]==0

x[t] = ( B0 E0 q t-m (E0-B0 V) Sin[(B0 q t)/m] ) / ( B_02 q)
y[t] = ( 2 m (E0-B0 V) Sin[(B0 q t)/(2 m)]2 ) / ( B_02 q )
z[t] = 0
)

but I get a strange and obviously wrong phenomenon in the solution:
they correctly give the solution of the case E_0 = 0 but they have no meaning for B_0 = 0 (because B_0 appears into denominator of solutions).

Please note that the equations of motions of the general case ( E_0 and B_0 both not zero ) reduces normally at the right equations of motions for E_0 = 0 and B_0 = 0.

Please can you suggest an hint for the reason of that, or the wrong step in my reasoning ?

If you feel confortable with Mathematica, may be you want see, at bottom of this message, the Mathematica code I have used to confirm my hand written solutions.

Thanks for your attention!

Warmest regards
Barbara.Ba

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(* position at t *)
pos = {x[t], y[t], z[t]};

(* velociy' and acceleration t *)
vel = (D[#, {t, 1}]) & /@ pos;
ac = (D[#, {t, 2}]) & /@ pos;

(* the given fields *)
cE = {0, E0, 0};
cB = {0, 0, B0};

(* the Lorentz force for the given fields *)
F = q (cE + Cross[vel, cB]);

(* the equations of motions *)
eq = Table[m ac[[k]] == F[[k]], {k, 1, Length[ac]}];

(* position and velocity for t = 0 *)
cond = {x[0] == 0, y[0] == 0, z[0] == 0, x'[0] == V, y'[0] == 0, z'[0] == 0};

(* this solves the equations of motions *)
sol = DSolve[{eq, cond}, pos, t] // Simplify;

(* output *)
Print["\n\n--- equations of motions ---\n\n", eq // TableForm];
Print["\n\n--- solutions ---\n\n", Transpose[sol] // TableForm];

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a good question. A crossed field (crossed dc E and B fields) is used to filter out charged particles with different velocities in a particle beam with defined momentum. This is called a Wein filter. See
http://titan.triumf.ca/equipment/beamline/wienfilter.shtml
(correct spelling is Wein). Also search web.
Also, crossed fields are used in magnetron microwave tubes, like the ones used in microwave ovens. The electrons are accelerated away from the filament by the E field, and rotate around the cavity, deflected into a circular orbit by the B field.

Bob S

Sorry for mistake.

Despite B_0 into the denominator the whole functions doesn't diverge to infinity.
I got the right limit by means of Mathematica.

Warmest Regard
Barbara
(Rome)

1. What is an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnetic field is a physical field produced by electrically charged objects. It includes both electric and magnetic components and is essential for the functioning of electromechanical devices.

2. How does a particle move in an electromagnetic field?

A particle moving in an electromagnetic field experiences a force known as the Lorentz force, which is the sum of the electric and magnetic forces acting on the particle. The direction and magnitude of this force determine the path of the particle.

3. What factors affect the motion of a particle in an electromagnetic field?

The motion of a particle in an electromagnetic field is affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the field, the charge and mass of the particle, and the initial velocity and position of the particle.

4. What are the applications of studying particles in electromagnetic fields?

Studying particles in electromagnetic fields has many practical applications, such as understanding the behavior of charged particles in accelerators, designing magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and developing new technologies in fields like telecommunications and electronics.

5. How is the motion of a particle in an electromagnetic field described mathematically?

The motion of a particle in an electromagnetic field is described by the Lorentz force equation, which relates the force on the particle to its charge, velocity, and the strength and direction of the field. This equation can be solved using mathematical methods like differential equations to determine the path of the particle.