Questions About Maple Seeds (Samara): Answers Inside

• Thread starter havaliza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple Seed
In summary, the author searched for information on this topic on Google and found that there wasn't much useful information. He also searched for information on this topic on Wikipedia and found that there wasn't much useful information. He has tried to solve the question by spinning maple seeds, but hasn't been successful so far.
havaliza
I have some questions about Maple seeds:
1. Describe Maple seed spinning process.
2. Does the altitude influence the speed of seed when reaches floor?
3. Can we change the seed in a way that while it's spinning its speed also increase?
4. Some seeds are twins! They're connected together. Do they also spin? Why?

Sorry for my bad English.
thnx :D

Physics news on Phys.org
havaliza said:
I have some questions about Maple seeds:
1. Describe Maple seed spinning process.
2. Does the altitude influence the speed of seed when reaches floor?
3. Can we change the seed in a way that while it's spinning its speed also increase?
4. Some seeds are twins! They're connected together. Do they also spin? Why?

Sorry for my bad English.
thnx :D

What do you think? What have you found in your searching on the Internet, say with Google and with Wikipedia.org?

Or have you tried it out with actual maple seeds? I don't know if maple trees grow in your part of the world, but where I live, there are lots of them.

berkeman said:
What do you think? What have you found in your searching on the Internet, say with Google and with Wikipedia.org?
I didn't find any useful information about this question from Google or Wikipedia. And, If I knew how to solve it I wouldn't discuss it here.
Mark44 said:
Or have you tried it out with actual maple seeds? I don't know if maple trees grow in your part of the world, but where I live, there are lots of them.
Unfortunately there isn't even one maple tree in where we live.

I would appreciate anyone who helps me to solve these problems.
Thnx.

havaliza said:
I didn't find any useful information about this question from Google or Wikipedia. And, If I knew how to solve it I wouldn't discuss it here.

You didn't discuss it here. You posted your homework questions for us to answer for you. Not going to happen.

How about you search Google Videos and YouTube for some clips of maple seeds falling. Post a link or two here, and give us what you think are the answers to the questions. We can go from there...

It's not a homework problem or something. But you've moved it here. I've searched about this subject for 10 days. But there is not much useful information about spinning of maple seeds. I've got the book Spinning Flight (Dynamics of Frisbees, Boomerangs, Samaras, and Skipping stones) but there wasn't also any useful information.
You are physics experts and at least you have some information about this subject. BTW I also searched in google video and I didn't find any useful information.

Thnx.

havaliza said:
It's not a homework problem or something. But you've moved it here. I've searched about this subject for 10 days. But there is not much useful information about spinning of maple seeds. I've got the book Spinning Flight (Dynamics of Frisbees, Boomerangs, Samaras, and Skipping stones) but there wasn't also any useful information.
You are physics experts and at least you have some information about this subject. BTW I also searched in google video and I didn't find any useful information.

Thnx.

Which of the Google Video movies have you watched, and why did they not help with your questions? Sure seems to be plenty of material there!

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=maple+seed&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a maple seed (samara)?

A maple seed, also known as a samara, is the winged fruit of a maple tree. It is a small, flat, and lightweight structure that allows the seed to be dispersed through the air for reproduction.

2. How do maple seeds (samaras) disperse?

Maple seeds (samaras) disperse through the process of wind dispersal. The winged structure allows them to be carried by the wind to new locations for growth and reproduction.

3. What is the purpose of the winged structure on a maple seed (samara)?

The winged structure on a maple seed (samara) serves the purpose of aiding in the dispersal of the seed. It allows the seed to travel further distances and reach new locations for growth and reproduction.

4. Do all maple trees produce samaras?

No, not all maple trees produce samaras. Only certain species of maple trees, such as the sugar maple and the red maple, produce samaras for reproduction.

5. How long does it take for a maple seed (samara) to grow into a tree?

The amount of time it takes for a maple seed (samara) to grow into a tree varies depending on the species and environmental conditions. On average, it can take anywhere from 10 to 30 years for a maple seed to grow into a mature tree.