Partial address decoder interfaced 68000-based system

In summary, to interface a 24KB RAM to a 68000-based system, the RAM addresses range from $002000 to $007FFF. To design a partial address decoder for three 8KB RAM ICs, the address lines A1-A13 of the 68000 can be used to address the RAM ICs, and the UDS*/LDS* signals can be used to select the upper or lower byte of data. An address decoder can be designed using a combination of AND gates and inverters, and it is recommended to simulate the design before implementing it in hardware.
Johnny99

Homework Statement

A circuit containing 24KB RAM is to be interfaced to a 68000-based system,so that the first address of RAM (the base address) is at $002000.
(a)What is the entire range of RAM addresses?
(b)Design a PARTIAL address decoder using three 8KB RAM ICs.

2. The attempt at a solution

for question (a) my answer is:
The address range for the RAM is from $002000 to $002000+(24K=24*2^10=24576=$006000)=$008000-1=$007FFF

Now I got problem for solving question (b).If I want to divide the address range ($002000 - $007FFF) into 3 (because of 3 8KB RAM), it will be
($002000-$003FFF) for RAM A
($004000-$005FFF) for RAM B
and
($00600 - $007FFF) for RAM C.
Each one 8KB RAM has address A0-A12
68000 does not contain A0 ,it only contain UDS*/LDS*.My question is, can I just interface address bus A1-A13 of 68000 to A0-A12 of RAM and not include UDS*/LDS*? .I 'm afraid it will be wrong because I have encountered example in the book which almost same with this question but it has 2 8KB RAM,it use UDS*/LDS* as chip select and lower byte will be in one RAM upper byte in another.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would suggest that you first review the datasheets for the 68000 and the 8KB RAM ICs to understand their address and data bus configurations. This will help you determine the best way to interface them and design the address decoder.

In general, the UDS*/LDS* signals are used to select the upper or lower byte of data on the data bus, depending on the address being accessed. So in your case, you can use the address bus A1-A13 to address the 8KB RAM ICs, and use the UDS*/LDS* signals to select the upper or lower byte of data. This will allow you to access the full 8KB of each RAM IC.

For the address decoder, you can use a combination of AND gates and inverters to generate the chip select signals for each RAM IC. For example, for RAM A, you can use the address lines A1-A13 and invert them to create the chip select signal for that IC. You can then use the address lines A2-A13 and invert them to create the chip select signal for RAM B, and so on.

I would also recommend simulating your design using a software tool such as Logisim to ensure that it is functioning correctly before implementing it in hardware.

I would suggest that you consult with a more experienced engineer or refer to the datasheet of the specific RAM ICs you are using to determine the best approach for interfacing them with the 68000-based system. It is important to carefully consider the timing and signal requirements of both the RAM and the 68000 in order to ensure proper functionality and avoid any potential issues. It is also possible that different RAM ICs may have different requirements for interfacing with the 68000, so it is important to confirm the appropriate approach for your specific setup.

1. What is a partial address decoder interfaced 68000-based system?

A partial address decoder interfaced 68000-based system is a type of computer system that uses a 68000 processor and a partial address decoder to translate memory addresses. This allows the system to access different memory locations and devices, making it more versatile and efficient.

2. How does a partial address decoder work?

A partial address decoder works by taking a portion of a memory address and using it to select a specific memory location or device. This allows the system to access a wider range of memory addresses without needing a full address decoder for every single one.

3. What are the advantages of using a partial address decoder interfaced 68000-based system?

There are several advantages to using this type of system. One is that it allows for more efficient use of memory space, as the partial address decoder can translate multiple addresses. It also allows for easier expansion and modification of the system, as new devices or memory can be added without needing a full address decoder for each one.

4. What are some common applications of a partial address decoder interfaced 68000-based system?

This type of system is commonly used in embedded systems, as well as in industrial control and automation systems. It is also used in video game consoles and arcade machines, as well as in some older personal computers.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a partial address decoder interfaced 68000-based system?

One potential limitation is that using a partial address decoder can slightly slow down the system's performance compared to using a full address decoder for every address. Additionally, if the system needs to access a large number of memory locations, a partial address decoder may not be sufficient and a full address decoder may be necessary.

Back