Physics to engineering grad school

In summary, the conversation highlights the possibility of transitioning from physics to engineering for graduate school. The individual is seeking advice on which areas of physics to concentrate on, specifically for a masters in aerospace engineering or engineering physics. The suggestion is to focus on courses and experiences related to their specific field of interest, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics, and to also consider research projects or internships for practical experience and networking opportunities.
aviator22
been lurking on these forums a while and have seen a few threads about people going from physics to engineering grad school but i have a few more specific questions if anyone wants to help out

anyways, I'm in a university program that allows me to get my commercial pilots license as well as my bachelor of science with an emphasis in physics. i had the opportunity to do an engineering degree as well, but decided I would stick with this program because I wanted to fly and physics was "close enough" to engineering.

I'm interested in going to grad school and doing a masters in something like aerospace engineering or engineering physics. I know that its possible to go from physics to engineering, but I'm wondering what areas of physics I should concentrate in. Its hard because the aerospace field has a lot of different sectors, and I'm not sure how much courses like quantum mechanics apply. Any advice from anyone in a similar situation or who is maybe studying in those areas would be a great help.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow forum member,

I'm glad to hear that you have been considering pursuing a graduate degree in engineering after completing your undergraduate degree in physics. It's definitely possible to make the transition from physics to engineering, and it's great that you have a specific interest in aerospace engineering or engineering physics.

In terms of which areas of physics to concentrate on, I would recommend focusing on courses that are more closely related to your desired field of study. For example, if you're interested in aerospace engineering, courses in mechanics, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics would be helpful. These courses will provide you with a strong foundation in the fundamental principles that are applicable to aerospace engineering.

As for quantum mechanics, it may not be as directly applicable to aerospace engineering, but it's still a valuable course to have under your belt. It will help you develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities, which are essential in any field of engineering.

Additionally, I would suggest getting involved in research projects or internships related to aerospace engineering or engineering physics. This will not only give you practical experience in your field of interest, but it will also help you build a strong network and make connections in the industry.

Overall, my advice would be to focus on courses and experiences that align with your specific interests and goals. Don't be afraid to reach out to professors or professionals in the field for advice and guidance. Good luck on your journey to grad school!

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your dilemma and your interest in pursuing a graduate degree in engineering after studying physics. First of all, I want to commend you for taking on such a challenging and unique program that combines commercial pilot training with a degree in physics. This shows your dedication and passion for both fields.

In terms of transitioning from physics to engineering for graduate school, I would say that your background in physics will definitely be an advantage. Physics is the foundation of engineering, and many engineering principles and theories are rooted in physics. So, even though you may not have taken specific engineering courses, your knowledge and understanding of physics will still be applicable in engineering.

In terms of which areas of physics to concentrate on, it really depends on your specific interests within aerospace engineering. If you are interested in aerodynamics and fluid mechanics, then courses in classical mechanics and thermodynamics would be helpful. If your interests lie in spacecraft design and propulsion, then courses in electromagnetism and quantum mechanics may be more relevant. It's important to research the specific program and courses you are interested in and see which physics topics they cover.

Additionally, I would recommend reaching out to current graduate students or professors in the programs you are interested in. They can provide valuable insights and advice on how to prepare for a graduate degree in engineering after studying physics.

Overall, I believe your unique background in physics and commercial pilot training will make you stand out in the field of aerospace engineering. So, don't be discouraged and continue to pursue your interests and passions. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. Engineering, on the other hand, applies these laws and principles to design and create useful products, systems, and structures.

2. Can I pursue a graduate degree in engineering with a physics background?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in engineering with a physics background. Many engineering programs accept applicants from a variety of undergraduate majors, including physics. However, it is important to make sure that you have the necessary prerequisite coursework and skills for the specific engineering program you are interested in.

3. What are the common admission requirements for physics to engineering grad school?

The common admission requirements for physics to engineering grad school include a strong academic record, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require specific coursework or research experience in the field of engineering.

4. How can I prepare for the transition from physics to engineering grad school?

To prepare for the transition from physics to engineering grad school, it is important to take coursework in engineering-related subjects, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science. It is also helpful to gain hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities in an engineering field.

5. What career opportunities are available for physics graduates with an engineering degree?

With an engineering degree, physics graduates can pursue a variety of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, energy, electronics, and materials. They can work as engineers, researchers, or consultants, and may also have opportunities to work in interdisciplinary fields such as biophysics and nanotechnology.