Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
Thanks to the cold Northwesterly winds, we might be able to dodge the two systems coming east this week. Hooray for arctic air-masses!

My crabby old neighbor next door ran into me when I was walking Duke this morning and immediately started moaning about the cold and the wind. I listened a bit and then asked him if he was going to have to shovel this weather. Considering that angle slowed him up just a bit.

Physics news on Phys.org
On Saturday we were driving back home:

snow_2010_3.jpg

Dark thing on the right is my side mirror.

When I woke up yesterday morning, it was -10F (-23C) on the outside of my "bedroom", and probably close to 0F (-18C) inside.

PS: And here's a picture of the "bedroom", a few minutes before completion. :biggrin:

2urs3s4.jpg

Gokul43201 said:
When I woke up yesterday morning, it was -10F (-23C) on the outside of my "bedroom", and probably close to 0F (-18C) inside.

PS: And here's a picture of the "bedroom", a few minutes before completion. :biggrin:

2urs3s4.jpg
Nice! My buddy (former Chief of the Maine Warden Service) used to spear-head back-country winter camping treks, when his boy (now a warden Sgt himself) was of an age to learn and benefit. His boy would be all breathless (even when he was a "cool" teen) telling me about how far they trekked, how they sheltered, what they ate, etc. Even as an "unflappable-age" teen, his winter treks with his dad were wonderful bonding experiences. When he was commissioned as a warden, he requested Estcourt as his first posting. It is at the very northern tip of Maine, and you have to get there through Canada. Any trouble, and back-up is a LONG time coming. I'm proud of him.

Looks like we might get a big snow here sometime today and over night.

hypatia said:
Looks like we might get a big snow here sometime today and over night.
Please keep it!

The name 'Estcourt' sounded vaguely familiar, so I looked it up. Looks like it is the northernmost point in the Northeast, though not in the continental US, and I wouldn't be surprised if people speak more French there than English. Not sure where I could have come across it before, but it sure looks like a tough spot to pick for a posting.

Gokul43201 said:
The name 'Estcourt' sounded vaguely familiar, so I looked it up. Looks like it is the northernmost point in the Northeast, though not in the continental US, and I wouldn't be surprised if people speak more French there than English. Not sure where I could have come across it before, but it sure looks like a tough spot to pick for a posting.
Yep. English is a second language for many of the inhabitants of that little place (not that there are many inhabitants). A warden investigating moose-poaching or some other offense 'way up there could easily get drawn into an international incident, and back-up could be a very long time coming. He and his wife had not been married long when he got his initial posting, and they were both very close to their parents, so I was pleasantly surprised when he told me that he requested and got that posting for his initial placement. It was a VERY long way from central Maine, so visits with family were not frequent. Winters can be long and wearing up here - even more so when you are young and close to your family, and can't easily get to see them or your school-friends. His wife works with developmentally-challenged children, so she had to put her new career on hold for the duration of that posting.

Ugh, I have 30 inches of snow in my yard here in Baltimore, and this afternoon through tomorrow night, they're calling for another 20 inches on top of that. Schools have been closed since Friday afternoon, and the way things are going, will remain closed until next week.

I've now missed two days of work due to my car being snowed in. I tried escaping yesterday, but once I got my car's tires in the tire tracks carved out in the road, I was stuck, because the lump of ice in between the tire tracks was taller than the underbelly of my car. I thought it was snow that could be moved out of the way, but no, it's hard-packed ice.

It took me over an hour just to get it back in my parking spot.

Jack21222 said:
Ugh, I have 30 inches of snow in my yard here in Baltimore, and this afternoon through tomorrow night, they're calling for another 20 inches on top of that. Schools have been closed since Friday afternoon, and the way things are going, will remain closed until next week.
It will probably take a week of nice warm weather to get your roads passable. MD is ill-equipped for real snow-falls. Up here, every little town has at least a couple of 10-12 yd dump trucks with plow frames, plows with side wings, and sand-spreaders. You'd need a fleet of such snow-plows to clear Baltimore, plus lots of front-end loaders to remove the massive snow-banks afterward. It's too expensive for your city to spend all that money for equipment, training, maintenance, etc, just to let it sit around year after year when you have "normal" winters.

One reason that I love my neighborhood is that people are so conscientious. I shoveled out the drain so that the meltwater had somewhere to go, someone cleared a path for the mailman to the mailboxes, and another person even cleared the fire hydrant.

Borg said:
One reason that I love my neighborhood is that people are so conscientious. I shoveled out the drain so that the meltwater had somewhere to go, someone cleared a path for the mailman to the mailboxes, and another person even cleared the fire hydrant.
That is very nice.

Over a month ago I posted a picture of our house - this one was taken today. Not much have changed, perhaps just the shoveled snow hill is a little bit higher.

snow_2010_4.jpg

But we have a problem - frozen gutters and icicles building.

snow_2010_5.jpg

After taking the pictures I decided to try shovel the snow from the roof. I did half only and I was spent - snow is hard, heavy and wet (not to mention I had to be careful, after all it is a roof). Luckily it wasn't as dangerous as it may sound & look, we have a metal roofing with very rough surface, so it is not slippery. However, now we have a rather unexpected view through the back yard door.

snow_2010_6.jpg

Our floor is about 40-50 cm above the ground.

Seems you need a roof rake. I did my whole roof in under 30 minutes, with no danger to myself.

http://www.roofrake.com/

I will check if something like that is available here, but I doubt it will work that easy in this case - too heavy, too frozen, too deep snow. We live here for 10 years and so far ice in gutters was never a problem, so I never thought about cleaning the roof.

Since yesterday we've been getting snow storms with huge flakes. The temperatuire is hovering between 30-34F and while the flakes fall they start clumping together, making some 2" across. They were on the news last night becuase they were so big. We're getting more of the same today. Fun to watch.

We're having a balmy (44°F) sunny day. :biggrin: The ground is wet and muddy.

Tonight the temp goes back down to the mid-20's °F.

A sweatshirt was plenty of insulation today. Now that the sun is setting, we're down to about 40 degrees. I would prefer normal cold weather instead of a warm stretch, because I want my garlic to remain dormant and not get a false start. Today felt like April.

It was mild today, but a bit windy in places.

We went out to pick up a small wheelbarrow for the garden project at the local intermediate school where my wife works. I've got to stabilize the frame though. It was stored outside, and some of the wooden frame disintegrated.

They guy who gave us the wheelbarrow is a farmer, and he gave us some tips on where to get aged (seasoned) cow manure.

Astronuc said:
They guy who gave us the wheelbarrow is a farmer, and he gave us some tips on where to get aged (seasoned) cow manure.
I have a wonderful source. He'll deliver 14 yards of black rotted manure for $200. Even if he runs low, I'll still get whatever I want, because I'm getting his wife started with Red Russian hard-neck garlic. I gave her a couple of dozen bulbs last fall - enough for probably 200 cloves which will turn into 200 bulbs next summer. If she does well, I'll get her started with the white German garlic next year. It propagates more slowly than the Russian because there are usually only ~5 huge cloves/bulb.

Would you believe I don't consider it really cold out until its -100 with windchill?

We're having an ice storm now, supposed to get a mix of ice and snow all day. :(

We had 2.36 inches ( 6 cm) of precipitation in the last 24 hrs, and before that about 1 inch (2.5 cm). It was a variable pattern of snow and freezing rain. The snow on the ground was more or less slush. When shoveling the snow, it's become a shovel of ice. We now have about 10-12 inches of snow (25-30 cm), most of which is actually granulated ice.

One of our small trees is bent or broken, and there are several branches broken, and two trees are leaning toward the neighbors property.

Half the electrical customers are without power, and we're supposed to have the same weather pattern for the next 36 hrs. Several of our friends are without phone service in addition to not having power (either phone and cable lines are down, or without power, internet phone goes out).

Should be interesting today.

I have to get outside today and shovel slush. I moved the snowbank yesterday in the pouring rain, so my wife could get in and out of the driveway, but now the whole driveway, walk, and back deck need to be cleared. This is back-breaking stuff, and I may resort to moving it with a square-end spade instead of a snow shovel so that I don't get over-enthusiastic. Every shovel-full feels like a concrete block out on the blade. We lost power repeatedly, but not permanently, last night, and this morning a line truck, and a tree-service truck roared by. Apparently, people farther out on the road weren't so lucky. Most folks out here have wood stoves, anyway, so losing power isn't such a hardship. More rain and snow are in the forecast, though the worst is probably over.

Maine Emergency Management Agency is warning about more rainfall. The snow-pack is saturated, as is the ground, so any more rain would be run-off. The lower reaches of the Kennebec are already swollen, and that has allowed much of the ice-jam to clear, so the dangers of flash-flooding are eased somewhat.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
I have to get outside today and shovel slush. I moved the snowbank yesterday in the pouring rain, so my wife could get in and out of the driveway, but now the whole driveway, walk, and back deck need to be cleared. This is back-breaking stuff, and I may resort to moving it with a square-end spade instead of a snow shovel so that I don't get over-enthusiastic. Every shovel-full feels like a concrete block out on the blade. We lost power repeatedly, but not permanently, last night, and this morning a line truck, and a tree-service truck roared by. Apparently, people farther out on the road weren't so lucky. Most folks out here have wood stoves, anyway, so losing power isn't such a hardship. More rain and snow are in the forecast, though the worst is probably over.

Maine Emergency Management Agency is warning about more rainfall. The snow-pack is saturated, as is the ground, so any more rain would be run-off. The lower reaches of the Kennebec are already swollen, and that has allowed much of the ice-jam to clear, so the dangers of flash-flooding are eased somewhat.
I hate dense wet snow, I've had shovels break under the weight.

turbo-1 said:

There was a show on pbs not too long ago about the flood on the Connecticut River, a lot due to a warm couple of days too early in the season.

We have had some arctic high-pressure zones around recently that have herded storms out to sea to our south. Still, it has been unseasonably warm for most of the month. People with maple syrup operations have been tapping trees and evaporating sap - more than a month ahead of their normal seasons. There are some big maples that overhang this road, and some of them have branches low enough that the stakes on large log-trailers can hit them and break them. As a result, there are puddles of maple sap in the road as the branches drip, drip, drip on warm days.

You're above normal and we're below normal, it's been averaging about 20 degrees below normal almost every day for the past two months. My heating bill has never been this high.

Snow doesn't bother me as much as it used to. After I got it started, my son shoveled the walk today.

Our driveway and the porch had about 8-10 inches of a couple of inches of saturated snow. It was similar on the driveway, but the bottom inch was more like ice. Several people used our driveway to turn around when the road was blocked for a downed line, so the bottom of the driveway was packed down to several inches of ice.

Today it's snowing lightly on and off. The trees are laden with ice and snow, and the temperature seems to be hovering around freezing - just enough for the snow to melt and stick to the trees, many of which are top heavy. I have one branch broken on our maple tree, but it's about twenty feet up, so I have to get up in the tree to remove it.

And we've been having intermittent loss of power.

Evo said:
You're above normal and we're below normal, it's been averaging about 20 degrees below normal almost every day for the past two months. My heating bill has never been this high.

yeah, same here in Central Illinois---

I think we've even had a little bit more snow than normal; and, because of the low temps, the snow has stayed around longer this season than I've seen in quite a while.

I have cleared my back deck, and the front patio, and am taking a much-needed break. Luckily, I have a slippery plastic snow-scoop with a metal cutting edge. Even so, every load of that wet frozen stuff felt like a load of rocks. There are a couple of healthy teenage boys a few houses from here, but they never seem motivated to earn extra money, so I'll have to keep pecking away at the snow-removal on my own. The slush is so heavy that it plugs the chute of my snow-blower and much of it is in places that are not easy to back-drag with the tractor. Oh well, in another couple of months, this stuff will be gone, and I'll be planting flats in my greenhouse.

turbo-1 said:
Still, it has been unseasonably warm for most of the month.

Evo said:

rewebster said:
yeah, same here in Central Illinois---
Interesting variations from regional weather patterns - strongly influenced, I imagine, by the big glob of pressure that's been sitting quite still over the Northeast this Winter. For whatever reason, it seems however, that there's been more warm weather than cool, last month.

Averaged over the entire Globe (as well as only over the Northern Hemisphere), this January has had the warmest anomaly of any month in the last decade, according to UAH!

http://vortex.nsstc.uah.edu/public/msu/t2lt/tltglhmam_5.2 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
We're freezing out here, I don't care about anyone else. :devil:

BUT ALSO THE COOLEST JANUARY IN SEVERAL YEARS ESPECIALLY WITH ARCTIC AIR MASSES DOMINATING THE FIRST HALF OF JANUARY.

THIS FEBRUARY WILL LIKELY RANK AS THE COLDEST FEBRUARY IN SEVERAL YEARS...INDEED THE COLDEST SINCE THOSE OF THE LATE 1970`S AND ALSO IN THE TOP TEN COLDEST FOR FEBRUARY

AND BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES THROUGH THE END OF MAY DUE TO THE INFLUENCE OF A MODERATE TO STRONG EL NINO PATTERN
Oh well, there goes my hopes of a warm spring to get my garden growing. :frown:

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cach...2009+2010+kansas+city,+KS&hl=en&gl=us&strip=1

Last edited by a moderator:
It would seem likely that there could be significant flooding on the Missouri and Mississippi River systems this spring.

We had an unusually cool spring and summer last year. A number of flowers didn't bloom, and the warm weather crops were rather poor. The lettuce and chard did really well, as did the cruciferous plants.

Interestingly, I think the NW and parts of the NE got warmer than usual weather while the central US and SE got colder than usual.

This winter has probably been more normal than most of the last several years, in which winters have tended to be warmer than usual. It used to be that the river froze over such that ice was cut from areas for refrigeration. That was more typical of the 1800's though.

Last edited:
<h2>1. Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather?</h2><p>Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause severe weather such as blizzards, heavy snowfall, and strong winds. These weather events can lead to dangerous conditions and potential damage to property.</p><h2>2. Can the Arctic Cold Front Cause Damage to Crops?</h2><p>Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause damage to crops, especially if they are not properly protected. Frost and freezing temperatures can harm crops and delay their growth, leading to potential economic impacts for farmers.</p><h2>3. How Does the Arctic Cold Front Form?</h2><p>The Arctic cold front forms when a mass of cold air from the Arctic region moves southward, displacing the warmer air in its path. This can occur due to changes in atmospheric pressure and wind patterns.</p><h2>4. How Long Will the Arctic Cold Front Last?</h2><p>The duration of the Arctic cold front can vary, but it typically lasts for a few days to a week. However, the impact of the cold front, such as severe weather and crop damage, can last longer depending on the severity of the front.</p><h2>5. What Precautions Should I Take During an Arctic Cold Front?</h2><p>During an Arctic cold front, it is important to stay informed about weather updates and warnings. It is also crucial to take precautions to protect yourself and your property, such as staying indoors, dressing warmly, and properly insulating your home. Farmers should also take measures to protect their crops from freezing temperatures.</p>

1. Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather?

Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause severe weather such as blizzards, heavy snowfall, and strong winds. These weather events can lead to dangerous conditions and potential damage to property.

2. Can the Arctic Cold Front Cause Damage to Crops?

Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause damage to crops, especially if they are not properly protected. Frost and freezing temperatures can harm crops and delay their growth, leading to potential economic impacts for farmers.

3. How Does the Arctic Cold Front Form?

The Arctic cold front forms when a mass of cold air from the Arctic region moves southward, displacing the warmer air in its path. This can occur due to changes in atmospheric pressure and wind patterns.

4. How Long Will the Arctic Cold Front Last?

The duration of the Arctic cold front can vary, but it typically lasts for a few days to a week. However, the impact of the cold front, such as severe weather and crop damage, can last longer depending on the severity of the front.

5. What Precautions Should I Take During an Arctic Cold Front?

During an Arctic cold front, it is important to stay informed about weather updates and warnings. It is also crucial to take precautions to protect yourself and your property, such as staying indoors, dressing warmly, and properly insulating your home. Farmers should also take measures to protect their crops from freezing temperatures.