Projectile motion- Deriving the right formular

In summary, projectile A is launched horizontally from the top of a cliff at 20 m/s and strikes a level surface 3.0 seconds later. Projectile B is launched from the same location at 30 m/s. The equation d=tv can be used to find the height of the cliff, which is approximately 44 meters. The answer key may have said 2 because the question asks for the height of the cliff, not the distance traveled by the projectiles. Additionally, it is important to carefully read and interpret the given information in order to use the correct equation and solve the problem accurately.
majormuss

Homework Statement

Projectile A is launched horizontally at a
speed of 20. meters per second from the top of
a cliff and strikes a level surface below, 3.0 seconds
later. Projectile B is launched horizontally
from the same location at a speed of 30. meters
per second.
Approximately how high is the cliff?
(1) 29 m (3) 60. m
(2) 44 m (4) 104 m

Homework Equations

d=tv

The Attempt at a Solution

On two occasions my answer turn out to be '3' and '4'. but the answer key says it's '2'. I have tried for hours but i can't find the right approach. Please offer me a good explanation of how I should work with this? or u can even give me a link to read more or something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the equation
h = 1/2*g*t^2

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a systematic and logical mindset. In this case, we can use the equation d=tv to solve for the height of the cliff.

First, let's define our variables. d represents the distance, t represents time, and v represents velocity (speed).

We are given the velocity of projectile A (20 m/s) and the time it takes to reach the surface below (3.0 seconds). Using the equation d=tv, we can rearrange it to solve for d, which represents the height of the cliff.

d = tv
d = (20 m/s)(3.0 s)
d = 60 m

Therefore, the height of the cliff is approximately 60 meters. This aligns with answer choice (3) in the homework statement.

For projectile B, we are given a different velocity (30 m/s) but we can use the same equation to solve for the height of the cliff.

d = tv
d = (30 m/s)(3.0 s)
d = 90 m

This means that if projectile B was launched horizontally at 30 m/s, it would reach a height of 90 meters before hitting the surface below. This aligns with answer choice (2) in the homework statement.

In summary, the key to solving this problem is to use the given information and the appropriate equation to solve for the unknown variable (in this case, the height of the cliff). It is important to carefully define your variables and units and to double check your calculations to ensure accuracy. I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of projectile motion and the use of equations in problem-solving. You can also find more resources and practice problems online to further enhance your understanding.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the curved path that an object follows when it is thrown or launched into the air. It is influenced by both the horizontal and vertical components of its initial velocity, as well as the effects of gravity.

2. How is the formula for projectile motion derived?

The formula for projectile motion is derived by analyzing the forces acting on the object, including its initial velocity and the force of gravity. Using principles of kinematics and trigonometry, the formula can be derived to calculate the trajectory, position, and velocity of the object at any given point in time.

3. What is the difference between range and maximum height in projectile motion?

Range refers to the horizontal distance that the projectile travels, while maximum height refers to the highest vertical position that the projectile reaches. Both of these quantities are affected by factors such as initial velocity and angle of launch.

4. Can projectile motion be affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can have a significant impact on the trajectory and velocity of a projectile. In some cases, it may cause the object to deviate from its expected path and decrease its overall range and maximum height.

5. How is projectile motion used in real life?

Projectile motion is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as ballistics and sports. It is also used in engineering and physics to study the motion of objects in different environments and to design efficient and accurate trajectories for projectiles.