Gas Effusion Rate Problem: He, Cl2, H2, Kr, Rn

In summary, the problem involves finding the contaminating gas in a sample of N2 gas that has a contaminant effusing at 0.25 times the rate of N2. By using the equation Rate x/Rate N2 = (square root of) Mass N2/Mass x and plugging in the values, it is found that none of the given choices (He, Cl2, H2, Kr, Rn) have a mass that is over 400. Another attempt using just Nitrogen instead of N2 gives a mass of x = 224, which is close to the answer of 222, but it is not clear how to justify this answer. Further clarification and showing the actual math is needed.
Navygal
The Problem
A sample of N2 gas is contaminated with a gas. It is found that that contaminant effuses at 0.25 times the rate of N2. What is the contaminating gas?

Choices are: He, Cl2, H2, Kr, Rn

Homework Equations

Rate x/Rate N2 = (square root of:) Mass N2/Mass x

Where Rate x =0.25 Rate N2

The Attempt at a Solution

By plugging in the values I get a mass of x that is over 400, and none of the above choices weight that much

Another option I tried is using just Nitrogen instead of N2 which gives me Mass x = 224 which comes close to the 222 that I got. But I have a feeling that it's wrong and not sure how to justify my answer
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you show what you did? I didn't get either of your answers.

Navygal said:
The Problem
A sample of N2 gas is contaminated with a gas. It is found that that contaminant effuses at 0.25 times the rate of N2. What is the contaminating gas?

Choices are: He, Cl2, H2, Kr, Rn

Homework Equations

Rate x/Rate N2 = (square root of:) Mass N2/Mass x

Where Rate x =0.25 Rate N2

The Attempt at a Solution

By plugging in the values I get a mass of x that is over 400, and none of the above choices weight that much

Another option I tried is using just Nitrogen instead of N2 which gives me Mass x = 224 which comes close to the 222 that I got. But I have a feeling that it's wrong and not sure how to justify my answer
Any help would be greatly appreciated

If you show us your actual math I'm sure the mistake will present itself. You have the right idea but the arithmetic is off.

1. How do you calculate the gas effusion rate for a specific gas?

The gas effusion rate can be calculated using Graham's Law, which states that the rate of effusion of a gas is inversely proportional to the square root of its molar mass. The equation for gas effusion rate is: Rate1/Rate2 = √(M2/M1), where Rate1 is the effusion rate of the first gas, Rate2 is the effusion rate of the second gas, M1 is the molar mass of the first gas, and M2 is the molar mass of the second gas.

2. What factors affect the gas effusion rate?

The gas effusion rate is affected by the molar mass of the gas, the temperature, and the pressure. As the molar mass increases, the effusion rate decreases. Higher temperatures and lower pressures also increase the effusion rate.

3. Can the gas effusion rate be measured experimentally?

Yes, the gas effusion rate can be measured experimentally using a device called a gas effusion apparatus. This apparatus measures the time it takes for a known volume of gas to escape through a small opening, and then calculates the effusion rate based on that time and the known volume.

4. How does the gas effusion rate differ from the gas diffusion rate?

The gas effusion rate refers to the escape of a gas through a small opening, while the gas diffusion rate refers to the movement of a gas through a medium, such as air or water. Diffusion is a slower process than effusion, as it involves the movement of gas molecules through a medium rather than just through an opening.

5. How is the gas effusion rate related to the kinetic molecular theory?

The kinetic molecular theory states that gas molecules are in constant random motion and that their speed is directly proportional to the temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the gas molecules move faster and therefore have a higher effusion rate. The kinetic molecular theory also explains why lighter gas molecules, with lower molar mass, have a higher effusion rate compared to heavier gas molecules at the same temperature and pressure.