Thermodynamic Processes: Ideal Gas Expansion and Compression

In summary, this conversation discusses a problem involving a cylinder with a piston and 0.250 moles of oxygen at 2.40 * 10^5 Pa and 355K, which may be treated as an ideal gas. The gas undergoes a series of processes: isobaric expansion, isothermal compression, and isochoric cooling. The task is to compute the temperature during the isothermal compression, the maximum pressure, and the total work done by the piston on the gas. The ideal gas equation and the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature are used to solve the problem.
sdoug041

Homework Statement

A cylinder with a piston contains 0.250 moles of oxygen at 2.40 * 10^5 Pa and 355K. The oxygen may be treated as an ideal gas. The gas first expands isobarically to twice its original volume. It is then compressed isothermally back to its original volume, and finally it is cooled isochorically to its original pressure

Compute the temperature during the isothermal compression.
Compute the maximum pressure.
Compute the total work done by the piston on the gas during the series of processes.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question Compute the temperature during the isothermal compression, I really have no idea how to start. I've been searching through my lecture notes and textbook for an hour and I just can not figure out a strategy to calculate it.

I've calculated the maximum pressure because it's simply double the initial, and if I could just solve for the T in part 1 I could calculate the work done. Very frustrated please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The oxygen may be treated as an ideal gas

Use the ideal gas equation

To find the work you need only information about the volume and pressure

If you remember that isobaric means the pressure remains constant you can find the temperature during the expansion. Then during the compression, the problem says the temperature does not change because it is an isothermic compression.

Find the temperature from the ideal gas equation: [tex]\ PV=nRT [/tex]

This also may help: [tex]\ P_1V_1 / P_2V_2 = T_1 / T_2 [/tex] (if the pressure is the same, what does this simplify to?)

Thanks guys I have solved the question!

1. What are thermodynamic processes?

Thermodynamic processes are a set of physical transformations that involve changes in temperature, pressure, and volume of a system. These processes are governed by the laws of thermodynamics and are used to describe the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids.

2. What are the types of thermodynamic processes?

There are four main types of thermodynamic processes: isothermal, adiabatic, isobaric, and isochoric. Each process involves specific changes in temperature, pressure, and volume of the system.

3. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred or converted from one form to another. This law forms the basis for understanding energy in thermodynamic systems.

4. How do thermodynamic processes affect energy transfer?

Thermodynamic processes involve changes in the energy of a system, which can be transferred through heat or work. Heat transfer occurs when there is a temperature difference between two systems, while work is the transfer of energy through a force acting over a distance.

5. What are some real-life examples of thermodynamic processes?

Thermodynamic processes can be observed in many everyday phenomena, such as the expansion of gas in a balloon (isobaric process), the compression of air in a bicycle pump (adiabatic process), and the heating of water in a pot (isothermal process). They are also essential in industries such as power generation, refrigeration, and chemical engineering.