Can i cite a preprint in a neuroscience paper ?

In summary, it is becoming more common for journals to have preprint repository sections, and even prestigious journals like Nature are doing it for neuroscience. This trend is being supported by respectable scientists who use preprints as a quick way to develop concepts and share them with colleagues. However, some scientists at the top of the hierarchy are expressing frustration with the traditional journal system and the hassle it brings. This has led to a difference in culture between different fields of science, with astrophysics being more open to publishing preprints while economics is more selective. Additionally, the difference in ownership of major journals between non-profit and for-profit entities also plays a role in this trend. Finally, there is a difference between draft papers and preprints, with the former
rogerharris
Its becoming more common for journals to have preprint repository sections...i.e. even nature are doing it for neuroscience, and i noticed some respectable scientists are just using this channel to publish stuff at preprint then get colleagues to review, and then not bothering to publish if that paper is only a side issue project for them to make a point. i.e. They are only bothering to go through all the hassle of trying to get journal published when they really have to and using preprints as quick way to develop concepts and pass them round. And this is people near the top of the hierarchy. (no don't ask me for names please)

As an example i was at a high level neuroscience conference recently..cold spring harbour and some top level guys were just saying the journal system puts them through so much Bull%%% and is slowing them down. Ok i don't want to get into the rights and wrongs of this . That could be a debate in itself and perhaps this is because the journals are a bit overloaded for various reasons.

What this means is there are papers at preprint stage i need to cite myself, and was wondering if this has caused any of you problems ?i.e. has a journal you submitted to refused to publish a reference to a preprint ?

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing that I've learned is that the culture of journals are *very* different between different fields of science. Astrophysics tends to have a "let's publish everything not totally nutty and let the community figure it out". Economics does not. I don't know about neuroscience. However in astrophysics, it's very common to cite something on the Los Alamos Preprint Server, and anything that's cutting edge that doesn't do that is likely to be thought of as inferior.

One bit difference between astrophysics and biology is that the major astrophysics journals are non-profit entities controlled by the professional societies, whereas in most biology journals, the major journals are owned by big for-profit publishers that stand to lose a lot of money if people bypass the journals.

Also there is a difference between a "draft paper" and a "preprint." It's very common in the social sciences to publish draft papers for comment and these are marked "not for citation" and as professional courtesy, people don't cite these papers. Curiously this sort of thing doesn't happen very often in astrophysics. The other thing that is interesting in the social sciences is the difference between a "working paper" and a "journal article."

1. Can I cite a preprint in a neuroscience paper?

Yes, you can cite a preprint in a neuroscience paper. Preprints are manuscripts that have not yet been published in a peer-reviewed journal, but they can still be cited as a source in your research.

2. What is a preprint in the context of neuroscience research?

A preprint in neuroscience research refers to a manuscript that has been submitted to a preprint server, such as bioRxiv or medRxiv, for public dissemination before undergoing peer review and publication in a scientific journal.

3. Are preprints considered valid sources for scientific research?

Yes, preprints are considered valid sources for scientific research. While they have not yet been peer-reviewed, preprints go through a screening process and are often revised based on feedback from other researchers. However, it is important to note that preprints should be read with a critical eye and their findings should be interpreted with caution until they have been published in a peer-reviewed journal.

4. How should I format a preprint citation in my neuroscience paper?

The format for citing a preprint in a neuroscience paper may vary depending on the style guide used by your journal or institution. However, a general format would include the author(s), title, preprint server, and a DOI or URL. For example: Author(s). (Year). Title of preprint. Preprint server. DOI/URL

5. Can preprints be updated or revised after they have been published?

Yes, preprints can be updated or revised after they have been published on a preprint server. This is one of the advantages of preprints as they allow for rapid dissemination of research findings and the ability to incorporate feedback from other researchers. However, it is important to clearly indicate the version of the preprint that was cited in your paper to avoid confusion.