Want to major in Engineering and or major/minor in physicshowever

In summary, majoring in Engineering involves studying the design, development, and production of various systems and structures, while majoring in Physics focuses on understanding the fundamental laws of nature and the properties of matter and energy. It is possible to major in both Engineering and Physics, but it may require careful planning and a heavier course load. There are a wide range of job opportunities available for those with a degree in Engineering and/or Physics, such as working in research and development, manufacturing, consulting, or teaching. To succeed in an Engineering and/or Physics major, strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and math skills are necessary, as well as a strong interest in technology and innovation. Some common minors that complement a major in Engineering and/or Physics include mathematics
Brown399
Hello any and all who end up reading this, not a matter if you reply =D Hello!

As a prelude, I should probably mention that I'm a senior, and will be graduating this June. As the title implies, next year I'll be a freshman, and I know quite definitively that I want to major in engineering -- computer/electrical/mechanical haven't narrowed in on anything specific yet-- and minor in ether physics or a computer science (architecture, programing, whatever the major is called -- I've built many computers, some of which i have overclocked and others water cooled).

As for my thread, and the ominous "however" =p

Basically, I was an idiot the first two and a half years of my high school 'career', and consequently have a terrible GPA.

I plan on applying to (this week) the following schools, and am searching for non bias information ("our mathematics program is on the cutting edge blah blah we get it you rock...") about their Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics programs.

University of North Dakota
University of Minnesota, Morris
Minnesota State University, Moorhead
North Dakota State University

Though I am planning on transferring after my sophomore year, I would still like to learn something that I can take with me when I transfer...

That being said, if anyone has any knowledge of, or insight to the following schools academic programs, please help a guy out =]

Thank you for reading,
happy trolling!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! I can understand your desire to gather unbiased information about the academic programs at the universities you are considering. It's great that you have a clear idea of what you want to major in and are also open to minoring in other related fields.

In terms of your current GPA, don't let that discourage you. Many universities also consider other factors such as extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, and personal statements when evaluating applicants. So make sure to highlight your strengths in those areas as well.

As for the universities you mentioned, I am not familiar with their specific programs, but I would recommend looking at their course catalogues and faculty profiles to get a better understanding of the courses offered and the research being conducted in your areas of interest. You can also reach out to current students or alumni to get their perspectives on the programs.

Additionally, you may want to consider looking into online resources such as college review websites or forums where students share their experiences and opinions about the universities they have attended. This can give you a more diverse range of perspectives.

Overall, my advice would be to do thorough research and reach out to people who have firsthand experience with these universities to make an informed decision. Best of luck in your academic journey!

What is the difference between majoring in Engineering and majoring in Physics?

Majoring in Engineering involves studying the design, development, and production of various systems and structures, while majoring in Physics focuses on understanding the fundamental laws of nature and the properties of matter and energy.

Can I major in both Engineering and Physics?

Yes, it is possible to major in both Engineering and Physics. However, it may require careful planning and a heavier course load, as there may be overlapping classes and requirements.

What kind of job opportunities are available for those with a degree in Engineering and/or Physics?

There are a wide range of job opportunities available for those with a degree in Engineering and/or Physics. Some examples include working in research and development, manufacturing, consulting, or teaching.

What skills are necessary for success in an Engineering and/or Physics major?

To succeed in an Engineering and/or Physics major, you will need strong critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a solid foundation in math and science. You should also have a strong interest in technology, innovation, and experimentation.

What are some common minors that complement a major in Engineering and/or Physics?

Some common minors that complement a major in Engineering and/or Physics include mathematics, computer science, material science, and environmental science. These minors can provide additional specialized knowledge and skills that can enhance your career prospects.