Oxidation Number: Understand, Rules & Balance Redox Reactions

• Thread starter johncena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxidation
In summary, oxidation numbers are assigned to atoms as a way to keep track of electron distribution. The rules for assigning oxidation states are used to identify oxidants and reductants in a reaction. These numbers are also helpful in balancing redox equations, as shown in the example provided. However, balancing equations using the oxidation number method may not always be enough and other methods such as isolating reduction and oxidation half-reactions may need to be used. If you have any questions about balancing equations, feel free to ask.
johncena
I can't understand the term oxidation number.According to my textbook, it is the charge assigned to an atom. But for what purpose we are doing this?Is it for identifying the oxident and reductant in a reaction?If yes, on what basis the rules (for assigning oxidation states) are implemented?
Also,my textbook doesn't provide the complete rules for balancing an equation(of redox reaction-Oxidation number meathod & ion electron meathod),so,i am very weak in balancing equations.I would like to get some HOT questions in balancing equations of redox reaction.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
oxidation numbers are just a way of keeping track of the electron distribution. If electrons are added to an atom, the oxidation number decreases and vice versa.

Here is an example of balancing a redox reaction.

Balance the equation:

NO3-(aq) + H+(aq) + Ag(s) → NO(g) + H2O + Ag+

Balancing wrt. ions and atoms here is not enough. We have to balance wrt to electrons. We do this by isolatin the reduction and oxidation half-reactions and balancing these by atoms. Look up in your table the half reactions:

Red.: NO3- + 4H+ + 3e- → NO + 2H2O

Ox.: Ag → Ag+ + e-

From these we see that to account for the reduction half-reeaction to happen, three Ag atoms must be oxidized. From this we get our stochiometric coeffisients. The balanced reaction is

NO3 - (aq) + 4H+(aq) + 3Ag(s) → NO(g) + 2H2O + 3Ag+

Do you have any questions about the above?

1. What is oxidation number?

Oxidation number is a number assigned to an atom in a chemical compound that represents the number of electrons lost or gained by the atom in order to form the compound.

2. How is oxidation number determined?

Oxidation number is determined by following a set of rules that assign different values to different elements based on their electronegativity and the type of bond they form with other elements.

3. What are the rules for assigning oxidation numbers?

The rules for assigning oxidation numbers include: for a neutral element, the oxidation number is 0; for monatomic ions, the oxidation number is equal to the charge of the ion; and for compounds, the sum of the oxidation numbers for all atoms must equal the overall charge of the compound.

4. How are oxidation numbers used in redox reactions?

Oxidation numbers are used to determine how electrons are transferred between atoms in a redox reaction. The element with a higher oxidation number is considered to be the oxidizing agent, while the element with a lower oxidation number is considered to be the reducing agent.

5. How do I balance a redox reaction using oxidation numbers?

To balance a redox reaction using oxidation numbers, you can use the "half-reaction" method. This involves breaking the reaction into two half-reactions - one for the oxidation process and one for the reduction process - and balancing the number of electrons transferred in each half-reaction to ensure that the overall charge is conserved.