Algebraic multiplicity

In summary, the given matrix A has a characteristic polynomial of p(t) = (t + 2)(t-2)^3 and the value of lambda is 2. The basis for the eigenspace has been found and the geometric multiplicity has been determined to be 3. To find the algebraic multiplicity, the power of (t-2) in the characteristic polynomial must be considered, which in this case is 3. Therefore, the algebraic multiplicity of lambda is 3.
dlevanchuk

Homework Statement

I have a matrix A [1 -1 -1 -1; -1 1 -1 -1; -1 -1 1 -1; -1 -1 -1 1], its characteristic polynomial p(t) = (t + 2)(t-2)3, and given value of lambda = 2. I need to find basis for eigenspace, and determine algebraic and geometric multiplicities of labmda.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did find the basis, and geometric multiplicity (the dimention of eigenspace).. but I can't figure out how to figure out algebraic multiplicity! I know the correct answer is 3, but why? i was trying to find simple explanation of alg. mult. on google, but the answer come up waay too tangled up for me to understand :-S

EDIT: Is it because the characteristic polynomial is p(t) = (t + 2)(t-2)3 and since my lambda = 2, i need to take (t-2)3 (which is t-2=0 => t=2), and the power is the value of algebraic mult...? am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track. The multiplicity is basically how many "copies" of each eigenvalue exist. If each eigenvalue is unique, the multiplicity is 1. Since you have (t-2)^3, the eigenvalue of 2 is repeated three times, so the multiplicity is three, as you said.

What is algebraic multiplicity?

Algebraic multiplicity is a concept in linear algebra that refers to the number of times a particular eigenvalue appears as a root of the characteristic polynomial of a matrix.

How is algebraic multiplicity different from geometric multiplicity?

Geometric multiplicity is the number of linearly independent eigenvectors associated with an eigenvalue, while algebraic multiplicity is the number of times that eigenvalue appears as a root of the characteristic polynomial. The geometric multiplicity is always less than or equal to the algebraic multiplicity.

Why is algebraic multiplicity important?

Algebraic multiplicity is important because it provides information about the structure and behavior of a linear transformation or matrix. It can also be used to determine the diagonalizability of a matrix and the stability of a dynamical system.

How can you find the algebraic multiplicity of an eigenvalue?

The algebraic multiplicity of an eigenvalue can be found by factoring the characteristic polynomial and counting the number of times the eigenvalue appears as a root. It can also be determined by comparing the dimension of the null space of the matrix to the geometric multiplicity of the eigenvalue.

Can an eigenvalue have a different algebraic and geometric multiplicity?

Yes, an eigenvalue can have different algebraic and geometric multiplicities. This occurs when the eigenvalue appears multiple times as a root of the characteristic polynomial, but the number of linearly independent eigenvectors associated with that eigenvalue is less than the algebraic multiplicity.