Lactose Intolerance Estimation Using Hardy-Weinberg Equation

• Thread starter 1234A4321
  • Start date
In summary, the Hardy-Weinberg equation can be used to estimate the incidence of "carriers" in a population by considering the frequency of a specific allele. In this case, with 60% of the world's population being lactose intolerant, it can be assumed that 40% are carriers (either homozygous dominant or heterozygous). By using the equation p2 + 2pq + q2 = 1, it is possible to calculate the frequency of each genotype in the population. Despite being unfamiliar with the equation, it is a straightforward process to determine the frequency of carriers in the given population.
1234A4321

Homework Statement

Apply the Hardy-Weinberg equation to estimate the incidence of "carriers" in the population you surveyed and in the populations you researchered.

I've found out that being Lactose Intolerant is a recessive trait and that 60% of the worlds population is lactose intolerant. That means that 30% are tolerant and are either homozygous dominant or heterozygous.

I was not a school for over a week and was given this as an assignment. I have never heard of this equation or even practised it before. Its due tomorrow, no exceptions because she needs marks so i can't ask for clarification. I am not looking for the answer just someone to lay out the steps involved and offer assistance. Please and Thank you!

Homework Equations

p2 + 2pq + q2 = 1
p + q = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to know what dominant, heterozygous, homozygous mean.

I suppose you know what a carrier is - someone who can transmit the (intolerance) trait to progeny but does not him/her self suffer from it. So what would be their genetic constitution?

p is the gene (or allele) frequency or fraction in the population. e.g. of the gene associated with a given character, e.g. lactose intolerance, call that allele l. q (which = (1 - p) ) is the frequency of the alternative allele, call the allele L.

So as each individual in the population has a pair of genes, what, in terms of p and q will be the fraction of ll, lL, and LL in the population? If you are given the numerical value of one of these fractions can you work out the one you want to know? Frankly it's almost common sense not rocket science even if you missed a lesson.

Last edited:

What is the Hardy-Weinberg Equation?

The Hardy-Weinberg equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the frequencies of alleles in a population. It helps scientists understand how genetic traits are passed down from generation to generation.

Why is the Hardy-Weinberg Equation important?

The Hardy-Weinberg equation is important because it provides a baseline for understanding how genetic traits are distributed in a population. It allows scientists to make predictions about the frequency of certain traits and to identify if there are any factors, such as natural selection or genetic drift, that may be causing changes in allele frequencies.

What are the assumptions of the Hardy-Weinberg Equation?

The Hardy-Weinberg equation relies on five main assumptions: 1) a large population size, 2) random mating, 3) no mutations, 4) no gene flow, and 5) no natural selection. These assumptions allow for the calculation of allele frequencies without any external factors influencing the results.

How is the Hardy-Weinberg Equation used in research?

The Hardy-Weinberg equation is used in research to study changes in allele frequencies over time. By comparing the expected frequencies calculated by the equation to the actual frequencies observed in a population, scientists can determine if any evolutionary forces, such as natural selection or genetic drift, are at play.

Can the Hardy-Weinberg Equation be applied to all populations?

The Hardy-Weinberg equation is a theoretical model and does not always accurately reflect real-world populations. It is most applicable to large, randomly mating populations with no outside factors influencing allele frequencies. In reality, most populations do not meet all of the assumptions required for the Hardy-Weinberg equation to be accurate.