What causes a curve ball to curve?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of friction as an explanation for the movement of curveballs in sports. However, it is ultimately determined that the Magnus effect, caused by the spin of the ball, is the true force behind the curve. This is further supported by an article about the effect being opposite on Mars due to the difference in air density. The initial suggestion of using friction as an explanation is deemed not applicable in this case.
Gonzolo
If I try to explain it with friction, it doesn't make sense, because faster things have more friction. In curve balls though (ping-pong, trackball, baseball), the ball curves toward the slower side. So I can't seem to use friction as an explanation. What's going on?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The spin of the ball is allowing air to move more quickly on the side spinning with the wind, and slower on the side that is spinning against the wind. The faster-moving air generates less pressure on the side that is spinning with the wind. This is called the Magnus effect, and is very much like the Bernoulli principal.

Interesting note: in an issue of Popular Science I read an article where some graduate students, using a fluid dynamics simulation program, proved that a curveball would curve the opposite way on Mars.

Thanks, I knew there was a simple explanation.

So for Mars, I suppose it is because the density is less? Is my friction explanation above any good for Mars by any chance?

Exactly! In the thinner atmosphere on Mars, there isn't sufficient air pressure to make a differential between the pressures on opposite sides of the ball, and friction becomes the dominant force.

1. What causes a curve ball to curve?

A curve ball curves due to the Magnus effect, which is the force that causes a spinning object to deviate from a straight path.

2. How does the Magnus effect work?

The spin of the baseball creates a difference in air pressure on either side of the ball, with lower pressure on the side spinning in the same direction as the ball's movement. This pressure difference causes the ball to curve in the direction of the lower pressure.

3. Can any type of spin cause a curve ball?

No, the spin must meet certain criteria in order for the Magnus effect to take place. The spin must be at a high enough speed and have enough revolutions per minute (RPM) to create the necessary pressure difference.

4. Why do some pitchers have a better curve ball than others?

The effectiveness of a curve ball depends on the speed and direction of the spin, as well as the release point and grip of the pitcher. A pitcher who can consistently create the right spin and release the ball at the right angle will have a better curve ball.

5. Can a curve ball be thrown intentionally?

Yes, pitchers can intentionally throw a curve ball by adjusting their grip and release point to create the desired spin and direction. This requires skill and practice, as well as an understanding of the physics behind the curve ball.