Calculating Currents in a 3-Phase 3-Wire System

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the correct phases for three 1-phase appliances connected in star to a 3-phase 3-wire system. The supply voltage is 415V, 50Hz. The individual's approach to solving the problem involves using Kirchhoff's current law and Cramer's rule, but after reviewing the calculations, potential errors were found that may be causing the discrepancy between their results and their lecturer's. The suggested corrections include fixing the voltage in equation (3), correcting the sign in the numerator for Cramer's rule, and using the correct formula for calculating resistance.
Lunat1c
The figure below shows three 1-phase appliances connected in star to a 3-phase 3-wire system. The supply voltage is star-connected with a line-to-line voltage of 415V, 50Hz. I want to calculate:

[tex] \overline{I_a}, \overline{I_b}, \overline{I_c} [/tex]

The problem is I'm getting wrong phases that don't correspond to the answers that I'm given.

This is how I tried to solve it:

[tex] E_{AB} = I_{ao}Z_A - I_{bo}Z_B, ... eqn (1) [/tex]
[tex] E_{BC} = I_{bo}Z_b - I_{co}Z_c ... eqn (2) [/tex]
[tex] E_{CA} = I_{co}Z_c - I_{ao}Z_a ... eqn (3) [/tex]

Applied kirchhoffs current law at node O and got [tex] I_{bo} = -I_{ao} - I_{co} [/tex]

Substituted this result in equations 1 and 2 and got:

[tex] E_{AB} = I_{ao}(Z_a + Z_b) + I_{co}Z_{b} [/tex]
[tex] E_{BC} = I_{ao}(-Z_b) + I_{co}[-(Z_b + Z_c)]
[/tex]then I used cramers rule to get:

[tex]

I_{ao} = \frac{\text{det} \left[ \begin{matrix} E_{AB} & Z_b \\ E_{BC} & (Z_b + Z_c) \end{matrix} \right]}{\text{det} \left[ \begin{matrix} Z_a + Z_c & Z_b \\ -Z_b & (Z_b + Z_c) \end{matrix} \right]}
[/tex]

Finally, I substituted [tex] E_{BC} + E_{BC} = -E_{CA} [/tex]

and got

[tex] I_{ao} = \frac{E_{AB}Z_C - E_{CA}Z_B}{Z_{A}Z_B + Z_{A}Z_C + Z_{B}Z_C} [/tex]

I found the resistances by using

[tex] P = \frac{V^2}{R}, \therefore R=P*V^2 [/tex]Substituting 415V, phase 120 degrees for [tex] E_{CA} [/tex] and 415V phase 0 for [tex] E_{AB} [/tex], I got 5.28A, phase -54.27 degrees. My lecturer gave 5.286A, phase -24.26!Can someone show me what's wrong with my reasoning please?

Attachments

• sUntitled.jpg
    sUntitled.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your approach to solving this problem. After reviewing your calculations, I noticed a few potential errors that could be causing the discrepancy between your results and your lecturer's.

Firstly, in your equation (3), the voltage E_{CA} should be equal to I_{co}Z_c - I_{ao}Z_a, not I_{co}Z_c - I_{ao}Z_b. This could be throwing off your final result.

Secondly, in your Cramer's rule calculation, you have a negative sign in front of E_{BC} in the numerator. This should be a positive sign, as the equation is E_{BC} + E_{BC} = E_{CA}.

Lastly, when calculating the resistance, you used the formula P = \frac{V^2}{R}. However, this formula is for calculating power, not resistance. To calculate resistance, you should use the formula R = \frac{V^2}{P}. This could also be contributing to the difference in your results.

I suggest double checking your calculations with these corrections and seeing if your results match your lecturer's. If not, please feel free to reach out with any further questions. Good luck!

1. How do you calculate the total current in a 3-phase 3-wire system?

To calculate the total current in a 3-phase 3-wire system, you need to use the formula I = √3 x V x cosφ / Z, where I is the total current, V is the voltage, φ is the phase angle, and Z is the total impedance of the system.

2. What is the difference between line current and phase current in a 3-phase 3-wire system?

In a 3-phase 3-wire system, line current refers to the current flowing through each of the three power lines, while phase current refers to the current flowing through each individual phase. Line current is typically higher than phase current due to the presence of a neutral wire.

3. How do you calculate the current in each phase of a 3-phase 3-wire system?

To calculate the current in each phase of a 3-phase 3-wire system, you can use the formula I = P / (√3 x V x cosφ), where I is the current, P is the power, V is the voltage, and φ is the phase angle.

4. Can you use the same formula to calculate currents in a 3-phase 4-wire system?

No, the formula for calculating currents in a 3-phase 3-wire system is different from that of a 3-phase 4-wire system. In a 3-phase 4-wire system, you need to use the formula I = √3 x V x cosφ / Z, where Z is the total impedance of the system.

5. What is the importance of calculating currents in a 3-phase 3-wire system?

Calculating currents in a 3-phase 3-wire system is important for ensuring that the system is balanced and operating efficiently. It also helps in determining the appropriate sizing of components such as circuit breakers and conductors to prevent overloading and potential hazards.