How Is the Quadratic Formula Used in Engineering and Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an example of the quadratic equation being used in engineering or physics for an algebra class. The person is looking for a basic application of the equation, such as using it to calculate the elevation angle for an artillery shot or the height of a jump. They mention using the equation s = (-1/2)gt2+v0t+s0, where s is the height at time t, g is the acceleration due to gravity, v0 is the initial velocity, and s0 is the initial position. They ask for a simpler explanation of the equation and how to use it to solve for a specific variable.
MacLaddy
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The Quadratic Equation. I am looking for an example of the quadratic equation being used in any form of engineering, or physics.

I am supposed to give an example for my algebra class, but I really don't want to do the "two trains left a station," or "sally jumped off a log."

I don't know if there are ANY applications of this in engineering or physics that I could use, as it needs to be basic algebra, but I am hoping.

Maybe something simple like [tex]f(w) = 10w^2 + 5x + 25 = 0[/tex], where w is windspeed, and the function is for how many turns an hour a windmill will get... Not sure if something like that exists.

My class will let me use an existing formula, or to create an example.

Homework Equations

[tex]ax^2 + bx + c = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Searching, googling, pacing, and asking here.

I appreciate any assistance that can be offered.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about an artillery shot problem. Given muzzle velocity what elevation angle to hit a target. When will it hit the ground? Uses

s = (-1/2)gt2+v0t+s0

I would love to be able to use something like that, but what I mean when I say "basic algebra" is because I honestly can't solve that yet... (sadly) I guess I'll get there soon.

I know that is pronounced v-naught, but I don't know what it means.

I appreciate the effort, but perhaps can you give me a simpler explanation? (algebra 101 level)

LCKurtz said:
How about an artillery shot problem. Given muzzle velocity what elevation angle to hit a target. When will it hit the ground? Uses

s = (-1/2)gt2+v0t+s0

MacLaddy said:
I would love to be able to use something like that, but what I mean when I say "basic algebra" is because I honestly can't solve that yet... (sadly) I guess I'll get there soon.

I know that is pronounced v-naught, but I don't know what it means.

I appreciate the effort, but perhaps can you give me a simpler explanation? (algebra 101 level)

Make it simpler. The equation I gave is for a body falling under the influence of gravity. g = 32 ft/sec2, s0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity. You could examine the following proposition:

Someone claimed that Michael Jordon could jump high enough that he had a 3 second hang time. How high would he have to jump to do that? The equation you need to answer that is

s = (-1/2)gt2+v0t+s0

where s is the height at time t. Start the jump with s0 = 0 at time t = 0 and unknown v0. You need some algebra to find the vertex of the (s,t) parabola and relate it to hitting the ground 3 seconds later.

Last edited:

One example of the quadratic formula being used in engineering is in calculating the trajectory of a projectile. The quadratic formula can be used to solve for the maximum height, range, and time of flight of a projectile launched at a certain angle and velocity. This information is important in designing and predicting the path of a projectile, such as a rocket or a cannonball.

Another example is in calculating the optimal angle for a ramp or slope. The quadratic formula can be used to determine the angle at which an object will have the maximum speed or distance when sliding down a slope, such as in a roller coaster or a ski jump.

In physics, the quadratic formula is used in solving problems involving motion and acceleration. For example, it can be used to calculate the time it takes for an object to reach a certain speed or distance, or to determine the maximum height a ball will bounce when dropped from a certain height.

In engineering, the quadratic formula is also used in designing and analyzing circuits. It can be used to solve for the voltage or current in a circuit, as well as to determine the resonant frequency of an electrical circuit.

Overall, the quadratic formula is an important tool in mathematics and has numerous applications in engineering and physics. Its ability to solve for unknown variables in a wide range of problems makes it a valuable tool for scientists and engineers.

What is the quadratic formula and when is it used?

The quadratic formula is a mathematical equation used to solve quadratic equations, which are equations in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. It is used when the quadratic equation cannot be easily factored.

What are the components of the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is written as x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. The components are a, b, and c, which represent the coefficients in the quadratic equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

Can you provide an example of using the quadratic formula?

Sure, let's solve the quadratic equation 2x^2 + 5x + 3 = 0 using the quadratic formula. Here, a = 2, b = 5, and c = 3. Plugging these values into the formula, we get x = (-5 ± √(5^2 - 4*2*3)) / 2*2. Simplifying, we get x = (-5 ± √(25 - 24)) / 4, which gives us two solutions: x = -1 or x = -3/2.

What is the discriminant and how is it related to the quadratic formula?

The discriminant is the part of the quadratic formula under the square root sign (b^2 - 4ac). It helps determine the nature of the solutions of the quadratic equation. If the discriminant is positive, the equation has two real solutions; if it is zero, the equation has one real solution; and if it is negative, the equation has no real solutions.

How is the quadratic formula derived?

The quadratic formula is derived from the process of completing the square. By manipulating the quadratic equation into the form (x + p)^2 + q = 0, we can solve for x and get the quadratic formula. This process is commonly taught in Algebra classes.