Locating the right pneumatic cylinder

In summary, to find the right pneumatic cylinder for this project, you need to determine the force and time requirements, consider additional safety features and materials, and compare costs to find the best option for your budget.
HelvenInk

Homework Statement

Hello, I'm a Mechanical Engineering student at UTSA and I'm trying to get some help figuring out what kind of pneumatic cylinder I would need for my intro to ME final project.
I'm trying to design a force dampening system, using pneumatic cylinders to resist against an initial impact and then allow the platform to slow down more gradually.
The idea is that a crate might take an impact of 6,000 to 10,000 Newtons, and the contents (weighing between 100 and 300 lbs.) would rest on a platform inside the crate, that would first remain effectively motionless as the crate was knocked forward and then be allowed to slow at a more gradual rate than the crate.
I've been searching the internet for pneumatic cylinders, but haven't been able to find any that seem to fit this task. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?
This wouldn't really be an issue, but I have to come up with a cost analysis for my design, and part of that would include knowing how much the cylinders I need would cost.
I also don't really know what parameters to look the pneumatic cylinders up by.
any information that can help me locate the kind of pneumatic cylinder I would need for this project would be appreciated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step in finding the right pneumatic cylinder for this project is to determine the force that needs to be dampened and the amount of time that is allotted for the force to be dampened. Knowing these two numbers will help you determine the size, type, and cost of the pneumatic cylinder. For example, if the initial impact is 6,000 Newtons and the platform needs to slow down over a period of 10 seconds, then you would need a larger, more powerful cylinder than if the initial impact was only 1,000 Newtons and the time period was 2 seconds. Once you have determined the force and time needed, you can then search for pneumatic cylinders that are capable of handling the required load. There are many websites that sell pneumatic cylinders, and they usually provide information about the force and time the cylinders can handle. Be sure to also consider any additional safety features or materials that may be necessary for your application. For example, if your application requires the use of a specific material, such as stainless steel or aluminum, then you should make sure to select a pneumatic cylinder that is made from that material. Finally, once you have narrowed down your choices, you can compare the costs of the different cylinders and decide which one best fits your budget.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a pneumatic cylinder?

When locating the right pneumatic cylinder, it is important to consider factors such as the required force and speed, the operating environment (e.g. temperature, humidity, presence of dust or corrosive materials), and the type of application (e.g. linear motion, rotary motion, gripping). It is also important to consider the size and mounting options of the cylinder to ensure proper fit and compatibility with other components in the system.

2. What types of pneumatic cylinders are available?

There are several types of pneumatic cylinders available, including single-acting cylinders, double-acting cylinders, and compact cylinders. Single-acting cylinders use air pressure to extend the cylinder rod, but rely on a spring or other external force to retract it. Double-acting cylinders use air pressure to both extend and retract the rod. Compact cylinders are smaller in size and can be used in tight spaces, but may have lower force capabilities.

3. How do I determine the appropriate size and stroke length for a pneumatic cylinder?

The size and stroke length of a pneumatic cylinder should be determined based on the required force and speed for the application. A larger cylinder will provide more force, but may also have a longer stroke length and require more air pressure. It is important to consider the specific requirements of the application and select a cylinder that can meet those needs while also fitting within the available space.

4. What materials are pneumatic cylinders typically made of?

Pneumatic cylinders are typically made of metal, such as aluminum or stainless steel, for durability and resistance to corrosion. The internal components, such as the piston and seals, may also be made of specialized materials depending on the specific application and operating environment. It is important to select a cylinder made of materials that can withstand the conditions it will be used in.

5. How do I ensure proper installation and maintenance of a pneumatic cylinder?

To ensure proper installation and maintenance of a pneumatic cylinder, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines. This may include properly mounting the cylinder, connecting the air supply, and adjusting any necessary settings. Regular maintenance, such as checking for leaks and replacing worn parts, can also help ensure the longevity and effectiveness of the cylinder.