Determinant of a non-square matrix?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a numerical invariant that can characterize the rank of a non-square matrix, similar to the determinant for square matrices. The possibility of using the determinant of AA^T as a solution is suggested, as well as the use of singular values. However, Mathematica may not be able to handle equations with complex conjugates, so other methods such as QR decomposition or solving linear equations may be more effective.
GargleBlast42
"Determinant" of a non-square matrix?

Hi,

is there any numerical invariant that would characterize the rank of a non-square matrix, similar to the determinant for square matrices? I.e. having a matrix nxm, with n<m, I'm looking for a number that would be zero if the rank of the matrix is smaller than n and nonzero if the rank is n. By "similar to the determinant" I mean that it would be some number, which you could obtain by doing some arithmetic operations on the entries, but without the necessity to perform Gaussian Elimination.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Crc said:
So the determinant of AA^T could perhaps fit the bill?

I hope you are right...by the way what the eigenvalues of AA^\daggers called? :)

Regards

NaturePaper said:
I hope you are right...by the way what the eigenvalues of AA^\daggers called? :)

Regards
Singular values.

Thanks Lord Crc, I have actually thought about this before, but it turns out that Mathematica can't handle this very well for large symbolic matrices.

Maybe a bit more about my problem: my matrix has one parameter and I want to find out for which values of this parameter this matrix doesn't have its full rank. Computing the determinant of the matrix isn't a problem for Mathematica, but the equation [tex]Det[A A^\dagger]=0[/tex] which I obtain contains complex conjugates and it seems that Mathematica is not able to deal with this kind of equation.

Finding singular values seems also uneffective. Any other ideas?

QR decomposition might be fast. And solving linear equations maybe? Example:
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}a &b\\c&d\\e&f\\g&h
\end{pmatrix}x = 0
[/tex]
gives you relations about the entries. You can check the roots of the resulting possible polynomials.

1. What is a determinant of a non-square matrix?

The determinant of a non-square matrix is a numerical value that can be calculated from the elements of the matrix. It is used to determine whether the matrix has an inverse, and if so, to find the inverse.

2. How is the determinant of a non-square matrix calculated?

The determinant of a non-square matrix is calculated using the cofactor expansion method. This involves multiplying each element in a row or column by its corresponding minor (determinant of the smaller matrix formed by removing the row and column of that element), and then summing these products.

3. What does the determinant of a non-square matrix indicate?

The determinant of a non-square matrix can indicate whether the matrix is invertible (has an inverse) or not. If the determinant is equal to zero, the matrix has no inverse and is said to be singular. If the determinant is non-zero, the matrix has an inverse and is said to be non-singular.

4. Can the determinant of a non-square matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a non-square matrix can be negative. The value of the determinant is determined by the signs of the minor determinants used in the calculation. If the number of negative signs in the minor determinants is odd, the determinant will be negative, and if it is even, the determinant will be positive.

5. What is the significance of the determinant of a non-square matrix in real-world applications?

The determinant of a non-square matrix is important in many real-world applications, such as solving systems of linear equations, calculating areas and volumes, and in physics and engineering for determining stability and equilibrium. It is also used in computer graphics for transformations and in statistics for multivariate analysis.