Rolling balls angular rotation

In summary, when a cylinder is rolling without slipping, its angular rotation is the same about any point, whether it be the center of mass or the point of contact. This can be described as a pure rotation about the point of contact or a combination of rotation about the center of mass and translation of the center of mass.
SpartanG345
If a cylinder is rolling without slipping, C is the centre of zero velocity for a moment and O is the centre

Does the angular rotation about O equal to the angular rotation about C, or is there only one angular rotation when a cylinder is rolling, that is the rotation about the point of contact?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a question that came to me, not a assignment question or anything, but anyway

I think in the ordinary frame of reference a rolling cylinder only has an angular rotation about the point of contact, not about the centre

Where in a frame of reference where you are following the cylinder, you should see the cylinder rotating about the centre and the surface is moving linearly without sliding.

I know angular rotation is always about an a line, so a single motion can have many angular velocities with respect to many axis's.

Is it possible to evaluate the angular velocity with respect to O in the normal frame of reference when the ground is stationary?

i am not really sure i guess the angular velocity for each point on the shape would vary if you measure it from O since the whole object is kind of translating... and since C has a zero velocity

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SpartanG345! :smile:

(btw, better to say "instant" rather than "moment", so as not to confuse with other types of moment :wink:)

Angular velocity (unlike angular momentum) is the same about any point.

Angular velocity is a "free" vector (strictly, a "free" pseudovector), so (unlike force) it has a direction, but not a specific line in that direction.

Changing to a different inertial frame will, of course, alter the velocity, but will not alter the angular velocity.

Formulas that combine I and ω use the same ω, no matter whether I (the moment of inertia) is about the centre of rotation or the centre of mass (btw, they don't generally work about any other point).
SpartanG345 said:
Is it possible to evaluate the angular velocity with respect to O in the normal frame of reference when the ground is stationary?

Yes, you get τ = IOω, instead of 0 = ICω - rmv, which is the same since IC = IO + mr2.

(I've used your notation, but usually we use C for centre of mass, and O for centre of rotation :wink:)

Just to add to what tiny-tim has already explained...
SpartanG345 said:
I think in the ordinary frame of reference a rolling cylinder only has an angular rotation about the point of contact, not about the centre
Since the cylinder rolls without slipping, its instantaneous axis of pure rotation is the point of contact. So you can describe the motion in two ways:
(1) As a pure rotation about the point of contact.
(2) As a combination of rotation about the center of mass plus translation of the center of mass.

(Same ω in both cases, of course.)

What is angular rotation?

Angular rotation refers to the motion of an object around an axis, as opposed to linear motion which is the motion along a straight path.

How is angular rotation different from linear motion?

Angular rotation involves the object moving around an axis, while linear motion involves the object moving in a straight line.

How is angular rotation measured?

Angular rotation is typically measured in radians or degrees, with one full rotation being equivalent to 2π radians or 360 degrees.

What factors affect the angular rotation of a rolling ball?

The angular rotation of a rolling ball is affected by the ball's shape, mass, and the surface it is rolling on. It is also affected by external forces such as friction and air resistance.

How does angular rotation relate to the speed of a rolling ball?

The angular rotation of a rolling ball is directly related to its linear speed. As the ball's linear speed increases, its angular rotation also increases. This relationship is described by the formula ω = v/r, where ω is the angular rotation, v is the linear speed, and r is the radius of the ball.