Engineering Statics Center of Gravity Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the x coordinate of the center of gravity for a machine element, specifically in relation to triangles. The person asking for help is struggling to understand the solution for problem 96, which uses 34 + 2/3*66 instead of 34 + 1/3*66. They also ask for clarification on whether this applies to the y component as well. Another person suggests drawing a plan of the triangle and finding the position of G by joining the mid point of each side to its opposite corner.
ttran1117

Homework Statement

For the machine element shown, locate the x coordinate of the center of gravity.
The picture of 2 different problems are attached

Homework Equations

V = 1/3*a*b*h

The Attempt at a Solution

I can figure out the coordinates fine for everything except the triangles. I looked at the solution for problem 96 and I can't seem to figure out why the solution is 2/3*66 + 34 (coordinate). I understand that the base would be x/3, or 66/3, which is true for problem 98, so why isn't it problem 96 using 34+ 1/3*66 and instead is using 34 +2/3*66? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have spent a long time on this and can't seem to figure it out. Also, would this be same for the y component as well? Thank you very much

Attachments

• Prob05096.pdf
    90.3 KB · Views: 464
  • Prob05098.pdf
    83.6 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the triangle you speak of is the 'empty' triangle in the xz plane. What is the x-coordinate of its centre of gravity? To check this, draw a plan of the triangle and obtain the position of G by joining the mid point of each side to its opposite corner. Hopefully this is enough for the penny to drop.

1. What is the center of gravity in engineering statics?

The center of gravity in engineering statics is the point at which the entire weight of an object can be considered to act. It is the average location of the weight distribution of an object.

2. Why is the center of gravity important in engineering?

The center of gravity is important in engineering because it helps determine the stability and balance of an object. It is also crucial in designing structures and machines to ensure they can withstand forces and maintain equilibrium.

3. How is the center of gravity calculated?

The center of gravity is calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual masses and their respective distances from a chosen reference point. This can be done using mathematical equations or physical experiments.

4. Can the center of gravity be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of gravity can be outside of an object if the weight distribution is uneven. In such cases, the object will not be in equilibrium and may topple over.

5. How does the center of gravity change with different shapes and positions of an object?

The center of gravity changes with different shapes and positions of an object because the weight distribution and distribution of mass changes. The center of gravity will shift towards the heavier or more dense side of the object.