Curvature of Space-Time: Understanding Bing Bang & f(t)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a metric in a flat space and how it relates to the path of light. The question is raised about the significance of a metric where f(t) has infinite and zero values at specific points, such as in the Big Bang. The response suggests that this could represent a singularity with infinite density.
alejandrito29
hello
i understand that in a flat space the metric is [tex]\eta_{uv}dx^udx^v[/tex]...i know that this means that the light follows straight geodesic in this space time...

but ¿what would means that metric is [tex]f(t)\eta_{uv}dx^udx^v[/tex] where f(t)=infinite in t=0 and f(t)=0 in t=infinite...obvious i understand the matematics, but physically ¿what means?...for example..¿what means that in bing bang in t=0 f(t)= infinite?

Physics news on Phys.org
alejandrito29 said:
hello
i understand that in a flat space the metric is [tex]\eta_{uv}dx^udx^v[/tex]...i know that this means that the light follows straight geodesic in this space time...

but ¿what would means that metric is [tex]f(t)\eta_{uv}dx^udx^v[/tex] where f(t)=infinite in t=0 and f(t)=0 in t=infinite...obvious i understand the matematics, but physically ¿what means?...for example..¿what means that in bing bang in t=0 f(t)= infinite?

It sounds a little bit strange to me.
Anyway probably f(t=0)=infinite it's the Big Bang singularity, a point with infinite density (so the metric), but it's a very raw treatment.

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. What is the relationship between the Big Bang and the curvature of space-time?

The Big Bang theory is based on the concept of general relativity, which describes the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of matter and energy. The intense energy and matter present during the Big Bang caused a significant curvature of space-time, leading to the expansion of the universe.

3. How does the curvature of space-time affect objects in the universe?

The curvature of space-time affects objects in the universe by determining the path that they follow through space. This is known as the fabric of space-time and is responsible for the gravitational forces that act on objects.

4. How does the concept of f(t) relate to the Big Bang theory?

f(t) is a mathematical function used to describe the expansion rate of the universe over time. In the context of the Big Bang theory, f(t) is used to explain the rapid expansion of the universe in its early stages, as well as the gradual slowing down of this expansion over time.

5. What evidence supports the idea of space-time curvature and the Big Bang theory?

There is a significant amount of observational and experimental evidence that supports the concept of space-time curvature and the Big Bang theory. This includes the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements, the large-scale structure of the universe, and the redshift of galaxies. Additionally, the predictions made by the theory have been consistently confirmed by scientific observations and experiments.