Troubleshooting a Private Member Double Array in C++

In summary: Especially since you can get the same effect with a vector of vectors.In summary, the author is having trouble with a class that has a private member that is a double ** pointer. The constructor declares and initializes the pointer as a 2 dimensional dynamic array of doubles, but whenever any of the accessor or mutator functions that are also members of the class try to use the pointer using the array[][] subscripts, they get an error. The author has no idea why this is happening, and believes that private pointer variables that are a member of a class should retain their values for all functions used by that instance of the class. However, this is not the case, and the author wasted a good three hours last night trying
vociferous
I have been pulling my hair out on this one.

I have a double** that is a private member of a class. The constructor declares and initializes it as a 2 dimensional dynamic array of doubles (an array of arrays). Then it sets every element of the array equal to 0 with a set of two nested for loops.

This seems to work fine.

However, whenever any of my accessor or mutator functions that are also members of the class try to use this array using the array[][] subscripts, I get an error. This seems to be because somehow the address of the pointer array gets "lost" after the constructor runs.

I have no idea why it would happen. Private pointer variables that are a member of a class should retain their values for all functions used by that instance of the class.

Technology news on Phys.org
They should.

Post some code.

Can you show us your code? What you're saying seems to be contradictory - that you have a private member that is a double ** pointer, and that a constructor declares it and initializes it.

If the constructor declares it, it seems to me that your pointer is a local variable in the constructor, so its scope is only in the constructor. It wouldn't be visible outside the constructor.

Good point.

Yes, that was my problem. I figured it out not one minute before I read your reply, but thank you. I am fairly new to object oriented programming.

I wasted a good three hours last night on this. I should have just asked, it would have saved a lot of time.

The more time you waste on stupid mistakes, the less likely you are to make them in the future. :)

Also, hopefully you have a copy and an =operator constructor overload, and put a delete[] loop in the destructor.

Then you might overload the member function for [][]

waht said:
Also, hopefully you have a copy and an =operator constructor overload, and put a delete[] loop in the destructor.

Of course! Many big arrays could cause a serious memory leak. :)

waht said:

Really? The book says it is difficult or impossible to do, depending on the circumstances.

vociferous said:
Yes, that was my problem. I figured it out not one minute before I read your reply, but thank you. I am fairly new to object oriented programming.
This really is less about OO programming and more about the scope of variables. If you have a local nonstatic variable in a function, it springs to life when the function is entered and dies when the function is exited.
vociferous said:
I wasted a good three hours last night on this. I should have just asked, it would have saved a lot of time.

The more time you waste on stupid mistakes, the less likely you are to make them in the future. :)
That's a good point and one that is more valuable that a lot of people realize. Part of learning is about dead ends and wrong turns.

Mark44 said:
This really is less about OO programming and more about the scope of variables. If you have a local nonstatic variable in a function, it springs to life when the function is entered and dies when the function is exited.

For some reason, I was not understanding that the compiler treated variables declared in the header file as variable declarations. I was thinking that they were treated more as prototypes and were actually declared by the constructor (because, this is the first time I have actually created a constructor instead of using the default constructor). But now I understand that the scope of variables declared in the constructor is limited to the scope of the constructor function itself, a valuable, if time consuming lesson.

waht said:

Or better yet, just use a vector of vectors.

vociferous said:
Really? The book says it is difficult or impossible to do, depending on the circumstances.

It's not possible to do it directly, because there isn't actually an operator[][]. You have to define operator[] of your class to return a dummy object, then have operator[] of the dummy class return the actual value. Basic example would be something like

Code:
using namespace std;

// Container must supply operator[] and a "reference" typedef
template<typename Container>
class ArrayOperator
{
  Container& m_container;

public:
  ArrayOperator(Container& c) : m_container(c) {}

typename Container::reference operator[](size_t n) { return m_container[n]; }
};

class Foo
{
  vector<vector<int> > m_data;

public:
  Foo(int x, int y) : m_data(x, vector<int>(y)) {}

ArrayOperator<vector<int> > operator[](size_t n)
  { 
    return ArrayOperator<vector<int> >(m_data[n]);
  }
};

int main()
{
  Foo f(2, 3);

f[0][1] = 5;

return 0;
}

It really isn't worth the trouble most of the time IMO, plus all of the standard warnings about violating encapsulation, etc.

1. How do I access a private member double array in C++?

To access a private member double array in C++, you can create a public member function that returns the array or individual elements of the array. Another option is to use the "friend" keyword to allow a specific class or function to access the private members.

2. Why is my private member double array not working in C++?

There could be several reasons why your private member double array is not working in C++. Some possible reasons include incorrect syntax or logic errors in your code, incorrect access to the array, or incorrect initialization of the array. It is important to thoroughly check your code for any mistakes and follow proper coding conventions.

3. Can I change the size of a private member double array in C++?

No, the size of a private member double array in C++ cannot be changed once it is declared. If you need to change the size of the array, you will need to declare a new array with the desired size and copy the elements from the old array to the new one.

4. How do I initialize a private member double array in C++?

To initialize a private member double array in C++, you can use a constructor or a member function. Within the constructor or function, you can assign values to the array elements using a for loop or by taking user input. Alternatively, you can use an initialization list in the constructor to initialize the array with specified values.

5. Can I access a private member double array from a derived class in C++?

No, a derived class in C++ cannot access the private members of its base class, including a private member double array. However, you can use protected access modifiers to allow derived classes to access the private members of their base class.