Average electric field in spherical volume

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the average electric field within a spherical region, due to a single point charge at a distance r from the center, is the same as the field at r due to a uniformly charged sphere with charge density p = -3q/4pi(R^3). The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem using direct integration and a more cunning method, as well as a request for help and difficulty with writing mathematical expressions.
jam357

Homework Statement

Show that the average electric field within a spherical region, due to a single point charge, q at a distance r from the center, within the sphere is the same as the field at r due to a uniformly charged sphere with charge density p = -3q/4pi(R^3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can set up the integral for the average electric field, but run into problems when trying to evaluate it. I don't know whether there is a better way to tackle this problem, but i would appreciate any advice on how to tackle this problem.
This is a problem out of Griffiths Intro to Electrodynamics, problem 3.41

Physics news on Phys.org
Direct integration is the only way, so show us the integral you've come up with.

The integral is not particularly nice, but i found a more cunning way to solve the problem, but thanks anyway. I also don't know how to write mathematical expressions on this thing

1. What is the formula for calculating the average electric field in a spherical volume?

The average electric field in a spherical volume is given by the equation E_avg = Q/(4πεr^3), where Q is the total charge inside the volume, ε is the permittivity of the medium, and r is the radius of the sphere.

2. How does the average electric field in a spherical volume vary with distance from the center of the sphere?

The average electric field in a spherical volume is inversely proportional to the cube of the distance from the center of the sphere. This means that as the distance increases, the average electric field decreases.

3. Can the average electric field in a spherical volume be negative?

Yes, the average electric field in a spherical volume can be negative if the total charge inside the volume is negative. This would indicate an inward electric field, pointing towards the center of the sphere.

4. How does the average electric field in a spherical volume change if the radius of the sphere is increased?

If the radius of the sphere is increased, the average electric field in the spherical volume will decrease. This is because the same amount of charge is spread out over a larger surface area, resulting in a weaker electric field.

5. Is the average electric field in a spherical volume affected by the presence of other charges outside the sphere?

Yes, the average electric field in a spherical volume can be affected by the presence of other charges outside the sphere. This is because the electric field at any point is the sum of the electric fields from all charges present in the vicinity.