Calculating Perspective Precedence in 3D Space

• Thread starter ricardoainati
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Perspective
In summary, The conversation discusses calculating perspective precedence in 3D space, specifically regarding a Rubik's Cube and an observer in space. The person is struggling to find the correct formula to calculate the sequence of the nearer cubes from the observer's perspective, especially when some cubes are rotated. They are currently using the Painter's algorithm, but it is limited and they are advised to look into using a Z-buffer or S-buffer instead.
ricardoainati
Hello!

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this doubt, but here it goes:

I would like to know how to calculate perspective precedence in 3D space. (I'm not a mathematician, so I don't know if it's the correct term, but I will try to explain what I need).

I have an observer in space (px, py, pz).

I also have a Rubik’s Cube, with 27 "little cubes". Rubik’s Cube can rotate any direction.

I have to calculate the sequence of the nearer cubes, from observer's perspective.

I tried to use the distance's formula to calculate this precedence between the 27 little cubes, but it doesn't help when I have some cubes rotated. I believe that there is something else to calculate, but I don't know what it is. The problem is shown in the figure below, when I try to rotate the cubes with gray faces vertically.

cuboMagico.png

The distance formula I use is in http://www.flashandmath.com/flashcs4/zsort/sortpic.jpg

Thanks, and sorry if I wasn't so clear.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're using the Painter's algorithm. It is severely limited so it's only ever used in conjunction with binary space partitioning. Look into using a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-buffering" or S-buffer instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you calculate perspective precedence in 3D space?

To calculate perspective precedence in 3D space, you must first understand the concept of depth and how it affects the perception of objects in a 3D environment. Then, you can use mathematical equations and algorithms to determine the relative positions and sizes of objects in the scene.

2. Why is perspective precedence important in 3D rendering?

Perspective precedence is important in 3D rendering because it allows for a more realistic and accurate representation of objects in a 3D space. It helps create the illusion of depth and distance, making the scene more immersive and visually appealing.

3. What are some factors that affect perspective precedence?

The main factors that affect perspective precedence are the position and orientation of the camera, the position and size of objects in the scene, and the overall composition of the 3D environment. Lighting and texture also play a role in determining perspective precedence.

4. Can perspective precedence be altered or manipulated?

Yes, perspective precedence can be altered or manipulated through various techniques such as changing the camera angle or adjusting the size and position of objects in the scene. Post-processing effects and special software can also be used to enhance or alter perspective precedence in 3D rendering.

5. How does perspective precedence differ from 2D rendering?

Perspective precedence differs from 2D rendering in that it takes into account the third dimension of depth. In 2D rendering, objects are represented on a flat surface and do not have a sense of depth or distance. In 3D rendering, perspective precedence is used to create a more realistic and dynamic representation of objects in a 3D space.