Effective Communication in Engineering: Insights from Industry Professionals"

• Thread starter lauraboehme
  • Start date
In summary: Memos almost always go unread and emails are often buried in folders. Video conferences, while being more time consuming, are usually more successful. They tend to be less verbal and more visual. They can be used to show examples or animations. However, I have also had meetings where the video call was cancelled (due to weather) and we had to revert back to a written meeting.
lauraboehme
My name is Laura Boehme. I am a student at my local community college researching how people in the engineering field communicate for my professional communication course. I am working towards a degree in engineering, which is why I chose to research in this field. I would appreciate any help you can give, even if you can’t answer all the questions.

Questions:
What types of communication do you use internally (memos, emails, meetings, videoconferences, etc.)?

What types of communication do you use externally (letters, meetings, etc.)?

What problems do you run into when communicating internally?

What problems do you run into when communicating externally?

How do you deal with communicating with non-engineers?

How do you deal with communicating with people in/from other countries?

Does your company have an organization chart? Do you follow it?

Do you ever have a problem communicating to your superiors? Or people under you? Or people at the same level?

If/when you give presentation or reports, do you ever run into trouble with it not being understood?

Do you find the grapevine, or rumor mill, is hurtful to your company’s performance? Or is this not a problem where you work?

Do you have any other things, good or bad, to say about how you communicate in your company?

Again, I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks for your time,
Laura Boehme

Engineering news on Phys.org
Engineers use lots of pictures to communicate. For example, a design engineering meeting might consist of a solid model being projected on a screen in real time. This would be accompanied by open floor discussion. People not on sight, but still necessary for the meeting, most likely would have a web client to observe the projection and phone into the conference room. In my experience, and depending on the meeting type, meetings heavy on words and light on visuals usually fail.

What is the purpose of "Questions for Engineers"?

The purpose of "Questions for Engineers" is to gather information and insights from engineers on various topics related to science and technology. This can include their opinions on current trends, challenges they face in their field, and solutions to complex problems.

How are the questions for engineers selected?

The questions for engineers are typically selected by a team of scientists and researchers who have a deep understanding of the engineering field. They carefully consider the relevance and timeliness of the questions to ensure the best insights are gathered.

Do engineers have to answer all of the questions?

No, engineers are not required to answer all of the questions. They have the freedom to choose which questions they feel comfortable answering and can provide as much or as little detail as they want. Respect for an engineer's time and expertise is always a top priority.

Can anyone submit a question for engineers?

Yes, anyone can submit a question for engineers. However, it is important to keep in mind that the questions should be well thought out and relevant to the engineering field. The submitted questions are then reviewed and potentially modified by the team to ensure they meet the necessary criteria.

How are the answers from engineers used?

The answers from engineers are used to gain valuable insights and perspectives on various topics related to science and technology. They can also be used to inform research and development efforts, as well as to provide a platform for engineers to share their expertise with a wider audience.