Quantum Texts for Self-Teaching: Undergrad Level

In summary, there are many good texts for self-teaching quantum at the undergraduate level, but the older classics are still the best.
tenparsecs
What are some ideal texts for self-teaching quantum at the undergrad level? The only text I'm vaguely familiar with is the Griffiths Quantum text, but I'm not sure if there exist better ones.

Physics news on Phys.org
The older classics are still good reads:

Quantum Theory - David Bohm

The Principles of Quantum Mechanics - P.A.M Dirac

Very useful addition to any standard text are the problem orientated texts such as Schaum's outline of Quantum Mechanics or Problems and Solutions in Quantum Mechanics - K Tamvakis, A Guide to Physics Problems Part 2edit: also check out the online video series by Leonard Susskind, there are a series of lectures freely available on youtube covering quantum mechanics and other subjects: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=susskind+lecture&aq=f

Last edited:
There must be a dozen threads on this subject here. It's really been done to death. Try the "Search this forum" drop down there on the right of the thread list.

Shankar is another good choice.

unusualname said:
The older classics are still good reads:

Quantum Theory - David Bohm

The Principles of Quantum Mechanics - P.A.M Dirac

Very useful addition to any standard text are the problem orientated texts such as Schaum's outline of Quantum Mechanics or Problems and Solutions in Quantum Mechanics - K Tamvakis, A Guide to Physics Problems Part 2edit: also check out the online video series by Leonard Susskind, there are a series of lectures freely available on youtube covering quantum mechanics and other subjects: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=susskind+lecture&aq=f

you've got to be kidding me. neither that one nor bohm's book is anywhere near undergrad level.

shankar and griffiths are where it's at

Last edited:
You could also try ballentine.

I went to the library yesterday to search for Zettili (since it was listed as Not Checked Out), but the book wasn't there. I picked up this other book by Scherrer which doesn't seem too bad so far, but I've been unable to find any reviews for it online.

1. What is the purpose of "Quantum Texts for Self-Teaching: Undergrad Level"?

The purpose of "Quantum Texts for Self-Teaching: Undergrad Level" is to provide a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the principles and concepts of quantum mechanics for undergraduate students. It is designed to be a self-teaching resource for students who are interested in learning about quantum mechanics on their own.

2. Who is the target audience for "Quantum Texts for Self-Teaching: Undergrad Level"?

The target audience for "Quantum Texts for Self-Teaching: Undergrad Level" is undergraduate students who have a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra. It is also suitable for anyone who is interested in learning about quantum mechanics and has a strong background in mathematics.

3. What topics are covered in "Quantum Texts for Self-Teaching: Undergrad Level"?

"Quantum Texts for Self-Teaching: Undergrad Level" covers a wide range of topics in quantum mechanics, including wave-particle duality, the Schrödinger equation, quantum measurements, and quantum entanglement. It also includes discussions on the fundamental principles and mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any prerequisites for using "Quantum Texts for Self-Teaching: Undergrad Level"?

As mentioned before, a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is recommended for using "Quantum Texts for Self-Teaching: Undergrad Level". It is also helpful to have some familiarity with classical mechanics and electromagnetism, although it is not necessary.

5. Can "Quantum Texts for Self-Teaching: Undergrad Level" be used as a standalone textbook?

Yes, "Quantum Texts for Self-Teaching: Undergrad Level" can be used as a standalone textbook for self-study. However, it is always beneficial to supplement with additional resources, such as lectures, problem sets, and discussions with peers and instructors.