Calculate voltage drop by using kirchoff's law

In summary, the circuit has a battery voltage of 30V and three resistors in series - R1 with a resistance of 8 ohms, R2 with a resistance of 2 ohms, and R3 with a resistance of 4 ohms. To calculate the voltage drop over R1, you can use Ohm's Law to find the current, which is 2.142 Amps. Then, using the voltage across a resistor formula, you can multiply the current by the resistance of R1 to find the voltage drop across it, which is 17.136 Volts. This is the amount of voltage that is being dropped across the 8 ohm resistor, and the other two resistors will also have
Arno@praxispc

Homework Statement

The circuit has a battery Voltage of 30V, a resistor of R1(8ohms), R2 (2Ohms) and R3 (4ohms) in series. Calculate the voltage drop over R1

Homework Equations

Please give me the proper equation of this? The one I've got says you take 30-8I-2I-4I=0
Wich gives you current of 2.142 and not the voltage.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now what i tried doing is this.
30V-8-2-4=0
30V=14
V=14/30
V=0.466
but I'm sure its wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the correct current, although you could just add the resistor values up using mental arithmetic and work out the current using Ohm's Law.

This current flows through an 8 ohm resistor, so what is the voltage across the resistor?

ok so what you are saying is that if i use ohms law V=I*R
I will have to use the 8 ohm resistor times by the current of 2.142= 17.136V
Is this the voltage after it went through the resistor or is this the amount of voltage drop?

The voltage across a resistor is equal to the current through it times the resistance of that resistor.

So, the 8 ohm resistor times the current of 2.142 Amps = 17.136 Volts.

If you do this for all the resistors, you will see that they add up to the supply voltage of 30 volts.

You should also see that the bigger resistors drop more of the the available voltage than the smaller ones, exactly in proportion to their resistance.

To calculate the voltage drop over a specific resistor in a series circuit, you can use Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL). This law states that the sum of the voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to the sum of the voltage sources in that loop. In this case, we have one voltage source (the battery) and three resistors in series. To find the voltage drop over R1, we can use the equation V1 = Vbattery - V2 - V3, where V1 is the voltage drop over R1 and V2 and V3 are the voltage drops over R2 and R3 respectively.

Plugging in the values given in the problem, we get V1 = 30V - (8ohms)(2.142A) - (2ohms)(2.142A) - (4ohms)(2.142A) = 30V - 17.136V = 12.864V. Therefore, the voltage drop over R1 is 12.864V.

Your initial attempt at solving the problem was on the right track, but you made a few mistakes. First, when using KVL, it is important to use the correct signs for the voltage drops. Since the current is flowing in the same direction through each resistor, the voltage drop over each one will be negative (since the current is flowing against the direction of the voltage). So, the equation should have been 30V - (-8I) - (-2I) - (-4I) = 0. This would give you the correct answer of 12.864V.

Additionally, in your second attempt, you divided the total voltage by the total resistance, which is not the correct approach. This would give you the total current in the circuit, but not the voltage drop over a specific resistor.

I hope this helps clarify the process for solving this type of problem. Remember to pay attention to the signs and units when using KVL.

What is Kirchoff's law?

Kirchoff's law is a set of rules used to analyze electrical circuits. It states that the sum of currents entering a junction in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the junction, and the sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero.

Why is it important to calculate voltage drop using Kirchoff's law?

Calculating voltage drop using Kirchoff's law allows us to understand how much voltage is lost as it travels through different components in a circuit. This is important for determining the efficiency and performance of the circuit.

How do you calculate voltage drop using Kirchoff's law?

To calculate voltage drop, you must first identify the resistors and their values in the circuit. Then, you can use Kirchoff's voltage law to find the voltage drop across each resistor by summing the voltages around a closed loop. You can also use Kirchoff's current law to find the voltage drop by equating the current entering and leaving a junction.

What are some common applications of Kirchoff's law?

Kirchoff's law is commonly used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, such as in power supplies, amplifiers, and filters. It is also used in the calculation of currents and voltages in complex circuits, such as in telecommunications and control systems.

What are the limitations of Kirchoff's law?

Kirchoff's law assumes that all components in a circuit are ideal, meaning they have no resistance or other imperfections. In reality, all components have some resistance, which can affect the accuracy of Kirchoff's law calculations. Additionally, Kirchoff's law only applies to circuits with steady currents and voltages, and may not be applicable in circuits with rapidly changing currents or voltages.