How do i solve the system of equation

• Thread starter lorik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, to find the values of a, b, and c in the given equations, you can either substitute a=0.1 in the remaining equations to solve for b and c, or use Cramer's Rule for a quicker solution.
lorik

Homework Statement

I need to find a,b,c from
a+b-c=0.1
2a-b-c=0
a+b+c=0.3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The furthest I've gone is
a+b+c=0.1
3a=0.3=>0.1

NOW PLEASE HELP ME HOW TO SOLVE FOR B AND C ?

Physics news on Phys.org
im not sure what you have done?
you can start by subtracting the first equation from third equation, then you will have the value of c
after that you can use this value in the second equation to get either a in terms of b or b in terms of a, after that you can easily substitute again in the first or third equation to get your answer..

lorik said:

Homework Statement

I need to find a,b,c from
a+b-c=0.1
2a-b-c=0
a+b+c=0.3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The furthest I've gone is
a+b+c=0.1
3a=0.3=>0.1
You lost your variable! 3a = .3 ==> a = .1
Now substitute for a in two other equations to get two equations in b and c, which you can solve for those variables.
lorik said:
NOW PLEASE HELP ME HOW TO SOLVE FOR B AND C ?

What you did the first time was add the second and third equations, eliminating both b and c at the same time to get a= .1.

Now, you can, as Mark44 suggests, set a= .1 in those three equations reducing to two equations for b and c. (Only two equations because a= .1 makes the second and third equations, that you used to get a, the same.)

Or you can do as Thebigstar25 suggests- subtract the first equation from the third equation. That eliminates both a and b at the same time, allowing you to solve for c.

Once you have found a and c, put those values into any of the three equations and solve for b.

Ok thanks for the fast reply because it really helped !

I do not know if you have learned about Cramer's Rule, but you might want to look into this, it will make this problem very simple to solve.

Last edited:

1. What does "solving a system of equations" mean?

Solving a system of equations means finding the values of all the variables that make both equations true at the same time. In other words, it is finding the point of intersection between the two lines represented by the equations.

2. How do I solve a system of equations by elimination?

To solve a system of equations by elimination, you need to eliminate one of the variables by adding or subtracting the two equations. This will result in a new equation with only one variable, which you can then solve for. Once you have the value for one variable, you can substitute it into one of the original equations to find the value of the other variable.

3. What is the difference between a consistent and an inconsistent system of equations?

A consistent system of equations has at least one solution, meaning the two lines intersect at one point. An inconsistent system of equations has no solution, meaning the two lines are parallel and do not intersect.

4. Can I use substitution to solve a system of equations?

Yes, substitution can also be used to solve a system of equations. In this method, you solve one equation for one variable and then substitute that value into the other equation. This will result in an equation with only one variable, which you can then solve for.

5. Is there a faster way to solve a system of equations?

Yes, there are other methods such as graphing or using matrices to solve a system of equations. However, the most efficient method depends on the specific equations and the number of variables involved.