High frequency from AC tig welder affects digital ammeter?

In summary, the serviceman from the welder's company told us that high frequency creates error in digital ammeters and his analog meter indicated 105 amps in a duplicate situation. We might have left it at that but are being told (by an engineer) that the digital reading was correct and we have to take the welder offline.
paceplane
I need a solution to the question, Which clamp-around-the-cable ammeter (digital or analog) can be trusted in measurement of current draw by a high-frequency AC tig welder? High-frequency AC is a requirement of welding aluminum, and an electrician measured 150+ amps at full power welding aluminum. A serviceman brought into find the problem told us, after checking the machine, that high frequency creates error in digital ammeters and his analog meter indicated 105 amps in a duplicate situation. We might have left it at that but are being told (by an engineer) that the digital reading was correct and we have to take the welder offline. Help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
This has nothing to do with analog and digital. Both can be constructed to show the correct current. Did you check the specifications of your meter.

If the serviceman is from the welder's company I would tend to trust him.

The power supplied to the welder can be measured for a limiting result, which I hope will satisfy the engineer.

The Wiki Current_clamp page has some interesting info.

If you are running AC for Al, with a high-freq starter signal, I'd bet the high-freq is not a sine wave and might confuse the clamp meter a bit. It could also induce more signal due to being coupled better than good-ole-60hz. But it should only run at startup and not affect a continuous reading. It's possible that your welding AC is not a sine wave as well, so you would have to adjust the reading to the waveform. In fact a square wave might give you 1.4 the reading you'd expect from a sine.

If your other reading was made with an in-line meter calibrated for real RMS, I would trust it a bit more.

However I don't follow why the equipment should be taken out of service. Is it welding correctly as set, or can't you "dial it down"? Is it fully automated and not current limiting as it should?

There's so much noise around one of these machines, you may have to fall back on a very fundamental measurement.
First, I'd attempt to get through the applications help people at the equipment manufacturer. Behind the thin line of question answer's is a group that have had to address this issue.

If that doesn't work, I'd try wiring in a current shunt with a non-electronic meter.

Thank you for the answers. High frequency does remain past the start because of stabilization ([URL="[URL]http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/alum2.asp"] and I believe due to the difference in exhibited measurements it is a digital meter issue. Sure we can dial it down, the test was done at maximum power in an attempt to register a spike or overload on a recording ammeter at the building entrance. While we may not have a definitive answer to the question, the ammeter did not see it out there. Indications seem to be that the digital meter was incorrect; but the engineer is not accepting it. Sense and politics are often at odds. Thank you all for your input and help.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does high frequency from AC TIG welder affect the digital ammeter?

High frequency from an AC TIG welder can cause interference with the digital ammeter, resulting in inaccurate readings or even damage to the ammeter. This is because the high frequency creates electromagnetic waves that can disrupt the electrical signals in the ammeter.

2. Can high frequency damage the digital ammeter?

Yes, high frequency can potentially damage the digital ammeter. The electromagnetic waves created by high frequency can overload and damage the sensitive components of the ammeter, leading to malfunction or failure.

3. How can I prevent high frequency from affecting the digital ammeter?

To prevent high frequency from affecting the digital ammeter, you can use a shielded cable or add a filter between the welder and the ammeter. It is also important to properly ground the welder and ammeter to reduce the risk of interference.

4. What impact does high frequency have on the accuracy of the ammeter readings?

High frequency can significantly impact the accuracy of ammeter readings. The interference caused by high frequency can result in incorrect readings, which can affect the quality of the weld and make it difficult to monitor the welding process.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with high frequency and the digital ammeter?

Yes, there are potential safety concerns associated with high frequency and the digital ammeter. If the ammeter is not functioning properly due to high frequency interference, it may not accurately measure the current and could lead to dangerous welding conditions. It is important to regularly check and maintain the ammeter to ensure safety during welding.